Thread: E-Bikes

Default E-Bikes

How do you all feel about E-Bikes? I'm ambivalent, on one hand they are sort of cool, on the other I like the exercise aspect of going for a ride under my own steam. But I think their popularity is going to boom, so much that I'm looking into buying some stock in companies that will profit off them, and I'm someone who hasn't owned a stock in 20 years.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Default Re: E-Bikes

There have been quite a few studies done that show people with e-bike tend to ride more than people without. Riding an e-bike most certainly does not mean that you are not exercising.

As for the popularity, it's already booming.

The E can take the edge off the strain. Evens out the whole ride. Nice for old folks. I see one in my future.

Sure beats firing up the gas burner to run to the grocery.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

hmm, seems to me stock picking about one product and market may not be the best route for investing. Just guessing 90% of the market and manufacturing is in China. I donít think there is much upside potential in the US compared to the rest of the world but they make sense to me. Iíve been looking for a couple years and now considering a Bafang mid drive kit.
    The low power requirements of cycling match well for modern motors and batteries but once the power notches up to near moped power and speeds it seems to me the limits of derailleurs and chains are being hit in which case internal gear boxes like motorcycles make sense but the cost is more than a gas motorcycle that has ten times the hp.
    I think theyíre popularity has been booming.

I own an Ebike, with a proviso, it is not meant to be peddled. With new batteries I have a range of about 70 Km, however, battery condition matters. I bought mine used and after 4 months use have found at least one of the five batteries is duff. It is winter here so I can probably wait till spring for replacements. This little machine has saved the Boss and I a lot of grief in transportation for groceries etc. to say nothing of the independence it offers. Rode M/C for 30 years, so the transition was minimal, think like an electric Joe.

Dumah
    Duct tape can't fix stupid but it will muffle the sound

I got one last year, mainly so I could ride the five miles to my office without working up a sweat. It worked great for that but Iíve been working from home most of the past ten months.

Also, with some trail improvements on a steep hillside on my property, I could have ride-able access to National Forest land without having to get on any roads with vehicle traffic. Currently, on the local NF, my understanding is that E-bikes are classified as motorized vehicles and are restricted as such. Potential conflict with other trail users is a concern, especially equine trail users, but that goes for non-motorized mountain biking as well.

I have to admit the ebike is fun to ride and you can still get a workout if you want.

We've had our Ebikes about a year. Since getting the Specialized Vados Sue and I have sold our mountain bikes, our tandem, but we kept our commuters and road bikes. The older bikes that we kept are gathering dust. There are 3 classes of Ebikes. Classes 1 (assist limited to 20 mph) and 3 (assist limited to 28 mph) must be pedaled like a regular bike. Class 2 is somewhat akin to a moped as it has an accelerator and pedaling is optional. We find that we can get as much exercise as desired; a button on the handlebar gives us a choice of 3 levels of assist. More assist comes at the expense of less range. Other impacts to range include the weight of the rider, wind and elevation. Of course a spare battery can give extra range. We haven't needed spares. Traveling at 28 mph doesn't sound real fast, but for us it's a revelation. We can usually get across town faster than by car as all the shortcuts available to regular bikes are still available. Headwinds - no problem; steep hills - we laugh at them. At about 50 lbs. our bikes are very heavy. On the road it is not an issue. However, we have had to get a heavy duty bike rack. Getting the bike mounted on a repair stand is more difficult. These bikes don't come cheap and that has had an impact on our confidence in leaving the bikes locked outside a store. Perhaps the greatest joy for us with these bikes is how easy it is to keep pace with each other. That alone leads us to riding much more often.

I converted my recumbent to peddle assist. I won't go back! My take on the advantages of assist.

I get the same exercise but I travel twice as far. I can increase muscle mass and endurance, while minimizing wear and tear to my 70 year old joints. Running pretty hard on my electrics I can get 70 miles on a full charge, after which I collapse in a heap, just as if I have done 40 miles unassisted. It's just plain fun to ride.

It's not all roses. My bike is now 20 lbs. heavier and more difficult to lug around while not in the seat...I didn't buy this bike for its ease in getting it in and out of a pick-up so this is a minor annoyance to me.
    Schooner sailors love to get blown offshore!

I was looking forward to getting one when I got too old to do my local rides by regular bike. An e-bike thread here a couple years ago got my interest, checking routes I found I can do my 70 mile round trip commute by combination of bike paths, bike lanes and side streets. So, converted an old mountain bike with a BBSHD kit. The commute takes 2 hours each way, I definitely get some exercise, and it's much nicer than being in traffic. The savings on gas and tolls has paid for the bike in about a year of 1 or 2 day per week commuting.

I also got a trailer and use the e-bike for groceries. It can haul 100 lbs up the hill to my house, by taking a shorter route it is faster than the car.

rgthom, that’s what I’m thinking of doing to one of my bikes. Either a 26” wheel Surly LHT or Rivindell Clem Smith that has very long chainstays @20 1/2”. Not sure if the Clem Smith would be too noodly for the power. It’s been interesting to read that ten speed chains wear longer than 8-9 spd because of better treatment and coatings. Anyway I’m looking at the cheapest drive train on the assumption that chain and cassette wear will be significant given the steep trails and roads.

Used to go to a bar where one of the regulars left his 3-wheel E-bike outside. He used it after he lost his license due to DUIs.

I've got a Magnum Premium Folder https://www.magnumbikes.com/product/...m-48-low-step/.
    Since I got that thing, I've been taking notice of the number of electric and electric assist bicycles on the road, and the increase in numbers has been phenomenal.

Aside, I like the bike, its fast, cruises at about 20 mph, pedal not needed most of the time but I usually ride it with a low power setting and pedal so the range is extended. I like the foldup facility, it goes in the trunk of my car handily and can be transported to and from my ship in the dinghy. It doesn't feel like a small bike though, its solid and stable.

Another aside, whats with the so common use of "peddle" with reference to propelling bikes? From the dictionary. "To peddle, verb (used with object), ped∑dled, ped∑dling.
    to carry (small articles, goods, wares, etc.) from place to place for sale at retail; hawk. to deal out, distribute, or dispense, especially in small quantities: to peddle radical ideas. to sell (drugs) illicitly."

John Welsford
    Last edited by john welsford; 02-10-2021 at 03:02 AM.
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

I just bought our third ebike. The first was a Bafang conversion kit on my old Gary Fisher MT bike. It got me hooked. Then I bought a Riese and Mueller, the Rolls Royce of the field, and gave away the conversion. I’ve just bought a Tern HSD, with belt drive and an automatic CVT,which makes it easy for friends to ride.
    I’ll be selling my car come spring.
    They are life-changing.
    I will have ridden the r&m one year in a few weeks ; just creeping up on 5000 miles.
    I have dual batteries (1kwh total) which have about an eighty mile range at 75% power. Rarely do I use up more than half of my battery capacity in one day.
    How long to recharge? How would I know? I’m asleep while it happens.

the Riese and Mueller are sharp.

Used to go to a bar where one of the regulars left his 3-wheel E-bike outside. He used it after he lost his license due to DUIs.
    Mopeds used in the wake of lost driving priviliges used to be called, " liquor cycles."

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Mopeds used in the wake of lost driving priviliges used to be called, " liquor cycles."

Kevin
    about 15 yrs ago cheap mini scooters were being sold off the floor at auto parts stores which the kids n the projects found to be great fun. I remember one day on Forest Dr a four lane road where cars go 35-45 mph a few of these went flying along the sidewalk, off the curb and across four lanes and against traffic and miraculously no one was killed. Went on for a few weeks then they disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    hmm, seems to me stock picking about one product and market may not be the best route for investing. Just guessing 90% of the market and manufacturing is in China. I don’t think there is much upside potential in the US compared to the rest of the world but they make sense to me. I’ve been looking for a couple years and now considering a Bafang mid drive kit.
    The low power requirements of cycling match well for modern motors and batteries but once the power notches up to near moped power and speeds it seems to me the limits of derailleurs and chains are being hit in which case internal gear boxes like motorcycles make sense but the cost is more than a gas motorcycle that has ten times the hp.
    I think they’re popularity has been booming.
    I put a Bafang on my wife's old mtb last month, and she absolutely loves it. It's their 250W version, and honestly, unless what you are really hankering for is a motorcycle, it is more than adequate - she leaves me for dust up hills now. It is also completely silent, which is more than I can say for a few of the higher end integrated mid drive units that have been on the cycle path I use to get to work.

Pete

I've though of getting a electric Kit for my bike as my knees are shot.. However it's single track roads, with passing places, round here, and the lunatic tourists have no idea how to use a single track road..
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Appending to this thread, since it is about my ebike. I just noticed on Google Maps that a new section of bike path has opened up along the shore of San Pablo Bay, conveniently right near my office and in my commute direction. This drops a mile and 300 feet from the ride, so it's down to 34 miles and 1700 feet of climb to home. That's too much by regular bike, but no problem on the ebike one or two days a week.

New route along the shore:

This new overpass bridge has opened up a passable section of path:

I’m slowly working through the maze that is the current Ebike market. Went to a local bike shop yesterday and saw some Specialized and Aventon bikes. Came home and came very close to saying the heck with it and just ordering a BBs02 motor from Luna cycles. Just not convinced I need the BBshd instead...

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    I’m slowly working through the maze that is the current Ebike market. Went to a local bike shop yesterday and saw some Specialized and Aventon bikes. Came home and came very close to saying the heck with it and just ordering a BBs02 motor from Luna cycles. Just not convinced I need the BBshd instead...

Jeff C
    Yeah, I got the bbshd reasoning that the steep hills and my weight , which is dropping, could use it. Gotta say the motor is heavy. From my reading operator use can really trash the drive train so I stocked up on 9 speed chains. I’ll report back after it’s assembled. Hope I don’t trash the frame.

E-bike is not necessarily for hobby and workout. For distances like say 10 miles, it can replace a scooter (or second car) for example. To go shopping or to go to work - if you can do that in that distance and if the local infrastructure supports that.

When we got our 2 e-bikes (Specialized Turbo Vado 5) it was our intention to do many of our short errands with the bikes. Sad to say that has not been at all frequent. Battery powered angle grinders are capable of cutting through most any locking device in seconds. It has not been worth the risk to us. Of course we could remove the batteries while we shop, but it's a bit of a hassle. We live in a college town with a lot of bike thefts. However, our enthusiasm for these bikes has not diminished at all.

With regard to chain wear - I have about 1,600 miles on my current chain. It needs replacing soon. The 11 speed chain is narrow. The chains for e-bikes are somewhat normally priced, the cassettes are expensive. Both of us are occasionally guilty of poor shifting technique. The audible feedback when that happens is wince worthy.

I had my Redline commuter converted to pedal assist at a place here in Seattle. For me, totally worth it - this is a very hilly city and the rear hub motor really flattens the hills for me. Personally, I'd say that E-bikes are for however you want to use them. Commuting, fun, hobby, auto replacement, or whatever. It's your bike. Have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    I basically copied what McMullen, Yeadon and Hvalsoe use because it worked so well.