Thread: oil finishing wood

Default oil finishing wood

I've used pine tar solution and Dejs Olje #1. Similar but different results and cost. Is there a substitute for Dejs Ojle that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. What can be done to prevent pine tar solution from turning black with age?
    Aramingo

Default Re: oil finishing wood

Quote Originally Posted by Aramingo View Post
    I've used pine tar solution and Dejs Olje #1. Similar but different results and cost. Is there a substitute for Dejs Ojle that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. What can be done to prevent pine tar solution from turning black with age?
    Aramingo
    Hello Aramingo,
    We used Le Tonkinois to do all our brightwork on our sailboat, S/v Valkyrie, a C&C 34 since we bought her until we sold her 25 years later. The cost is less that Deks Olje but the quality of the finish and the duration are similar.

We're sure there will be forum members who'll agree and others who'll disagree as finishing brightwork is so personal that marque fanaticism should be expected.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.
    "Ships are the nearest thing to dreams that hands have ever made." Robert N. Rose

Pine tar is a very dark, almost black shade of brown. However we used to treat the bottoms of skis with it and the hickory bottoms would come out a nice chocolate brown - and stay that way. I have old wooden skis up in a closet which were pine-tarred over 30 years ago and they have not turned black or otherwise changed color. If you are using some sort of pine tar "solution" which is turning black in time, I wouldn't be surprised if it contains a fair amount of linseed oil, which often does turn black with age.

Are you asking for interior or exterior timber?? I’ve been using a Feast Watson Scandinavian oil for my interior timber work to good effect
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I have no personal experience with the products but the Dalys Seafin sealer and teak oil products seem to have a good reputation and are made in USA. They are half the price of Deka Olje and even cheaper from Fisheries Supply than from the factory.

https://www.dalyswoodfinishes.com/st...=index&cPath=4
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

Inside or outside?