Thread: Soft Spots Repair on Bottom Plank of Clinker Planked wood skiff

Default Soft Spots Repair on Bottom Plank of Clinker Planked wood skiff

Greetings all,

I'm itching to use my 15' old wood skiff but I've noticed it has some soft spots/wood rot on the bottom plank where the plank meets the keel. It is a clinker planked skiff.

They are soft enough you can press in a bit but you can't push through the wood and it seems reasonably solid on the inside.

I used the boat last year and it didn't take on much in the way of water, I don't know if these soft spots were there then or worsened because I had no need to check the bottom until a trailer scrape on the plank made me pay attention in the fall.

So as far as temporary fixes go, I thought I can either epoxy on a 1/8" mahogany skin over the plank on the bottom after sanding to bare wood. I know this isn't a permanent fix but I figured it would protect it from busting open easily as 85 percent or so of the plank is all solid hard wood so a great base for gluing.

The other option would be some kind of rot treatment from the inside, or outside after sanding?

I can't do the veneer overlay on the inside because the ribs would be in the way.

I don't have time to replank the whole side this year, it's either that or get a new boat most likely. The boat is unremarkable and not anything special on the topside, not an antique or restored classic. Any input appreciated, would love to do some boating this summer.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Soft Spots Repair on Bottom Plank of Clinker Planked wood skiff

Pics ?
    Is the planking a white cedar? That can appear very soft and funky sometimes.
    But if you think is's gonna pop through and sink you, by all means whatever is needed .
    A single layer of eighth inch may not do much, it needs 2 layers of crossed grain to have effect, thus, a nog of fg might be better.

Default Re: Soft Spots Repair on Bottom Plank of Clinker Planked wood skiff

I had a half inch by 1 1/2 inch rot pocket under a frame on my larch planked clinker boat. I scarfed in a Dutchman with poxy glue. Still good to this day.

Just be sure to cut back to sound wood.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.