Thread: Planing dollars to the proper thickness.

Default Planing dollars to the proper thickness.

With the prices of wood today, I have a question about turning perfectly good mahogany into sawdust. Even though I refer to my shop as "The Sawdust Factory", it really pains me to think of paying current prices knowing that I will have to plane half of it away to get the 5/8" thickness I need for the TN floorboards. All that is available in mahogany locally is 1" thickness. Any ideas on how I can not waste half of that wood? If I re-saw that board, followed by at least a little sanding/planing, I wouldn't even end up with 1/2". Any problems using 3/4" to 7/8", as far as weight, or balance, or something that I'm missing? If it were any other wood, this is Oregon for crying out loud! But I suspect that most of this mahogany is imported, possibly already cut to 1"? I'll have to check that out with the supplier. Thoughts?

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Default Re: Planing dollars to the proper thickness.

I would have thought Oregon pine would be a choice there.

Quote Originally Posted by lagspiller View Post
    I would have thought Oregon pine would be a choice there.
    ^ This. Or larch or any other fir or pine that is reasonably durable. It is not that anyone will be wearing hob nails and the floorboards will be dry most of the time.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

have you considered western red cedar ?

cedar/wooden fencing comes in 5/8 thickness smooth on one side 6' & 8' lengths

my Home Depot lets me pick as long as i restack respectfully

the WRC 2x3's (horizontal bracing) are another product i use a lot of

they rip in 1/2 nicely when using one of those red/SKINNY Freud Diablo 7.25" dia hand held circular saw blades(same arbor hole as my el cheapo table saw) rendering a good 5/8" thick piece 2.5" wide

the result is 2-pieces w/ 2-rounded corners and 3-smooth sides w/ 2-sharp corners and 1-saw cut side 8' long

just a "plan C" suggestion

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

^ Brilliant plan there, Swoody !!!

Resaw is the way. Sell the offcuts as thick sawn veneer, or use it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    Resaw is the way. Sell the offcuts as thick sawn veneer, or use it yourself.
    Yep, and what you can do if you re-saw with the aforementioned Diablo skinny blade is take two of the 5/16" offcuts, glue them together and viola! another piece of 5/8" floorboard. I did this with the slats of an Adirondack chair made out of white oak and, after living continuously outdoors for 10 years, absolutely no sign of de-lamination. Just cut the initial width slightly oversize for gluing purposes.

Sometimes the obvious answers are staring you right in the face. I have 2 pieces of beautiful 2x13 straight-grained fir. But the catch was that they were only 8' long, and the cabinet builder in me kept saying that I couldn't use them because I needed
    8 1/2' in length. Yesterday, while in the shop considering options, I looked at them and the light-bulb went off. Possibly because I just watched Star Wars, I heard a voice say "Use the scarf Luke". Sheesh. Wouldn't even need a light saber for that. I can resaw two pieces a little over-sized, like the above suggestions, and have enough left to glue up another from the off cuts. 13" in width will also give me 3 pieces from each board, more than enough material for what I need. I need to learn to break out the moaning chair sooner.

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.