Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Coffee machines

Default Re: Coffee machines

Quote Originally Posted by Figmental View Post
    If you can pardon an infidel, I have gotten used to cold brew. I make a half gallon of concentrate from two soakings over two days with 3/4 pound of Starbuck's Breakfast Blend sold everywhere. I can nuke a lovely 8 ounce coffee many times a day using 1.5 ounces of concentrate each. Fast, no acid and full power, I live off the stuff.
    I have a small one I use when the weather turns hot. Makes nice coffee.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Figmental View Post
    If you can pardon an infidel, I have gotten used to cold brew. I make a half gallon of concentrate from two soakings over two days with 3/4 pound of Starbuck's Breakfast Blend sold everywhere. I can nuke a lovely 8 ounce coffee many times a day using 1.5 ounces of concentrate each. Fast, no acid and full power, I live off the stuff.
    I am reminded of "Jiffy Coffee" as described in The Rudder Treasury, page 246, in an article dated 1938 by Charles H. Baker, Jr. :

This is an old camping trick we learned in British Columbia, and especially helpful to Galley Slaves ... Allow heaping tablespoon fresh coffee to each cup water. Drip through twice. Never let the made coffee boil. Strain through two thicknesses of cloth, seal in mason jar with air-tight ring. Put by ice. Presto - in four hours clear as crystal, keeps fresh a long time with flavor and aroma undissipated. Just heat as needed, but don't ever boil. Worth its weight in platinum when feeding the off-watch.
    I have never tried this, not least because there is some ambiguity in the instructions (8 ounces or 6 ounces per cup? Grind size?), but mostly because I like brewing my coffee hot. I assume the "clear as crystal" is an idiom, rather than a description of the finished product - although wouldn't it be wonderful if that were the case? What brings it to mind is that it is in the same vein as cold brew, since it can be kept by and reheated and served at will, but with a faster processing time.

Ken has been gone for the last four weeks. He has been over the mountains taking care of his mother who was having some medical issues. We now have support in place for her and he will be leaving to come home this afternoon.

Among the many things that I am looking forward to, is waking to a pot of fresh brewed coffee. He wakes up an hour before me and the coffee is always waiting for me.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

A machine in yer house to make coffee is like having a machine on yer boat to move pee through an inch of wood.

'The best part of waking up'... is my home-roasted, freshly ground, black coffee. Buuu-ya!

I try to have a fresh pot ready to go the moment swmbo makes her entrance. She really likes that!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I see you have a machine for boiling water Bruce. Thought you would just rub sticks together.

.... or stick a few beans between yer cheek and gum.... let' em percolate....
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I'm the only one here (my home, not the bilge) to drinks coffee, and I like my mug in the morning.

I had a Mr. Coffee which served me fine, but I sometimes forgot to turn it off, and it didn't shut itself off. The dim light that lit when it was on ceased to work, and I left in on all day a few times, and decided that's not a good idea.

For a little over $20 I ordered a new Mr. Coffee that does automatically shut off. It also has a very bright light, making it more difficult to forget to turn off.

It has a clock built in, and one can program it to do several things, except I can't read the clock. (Neither can my daughter, whose eyes are quite good, so the clock is useless, but not really needed. It's a little more difficult to take the part that holds the filter out for cleaning, but practice is making it easier.

It does what I need done. I also have a single cup K machine which is used rarely. It's a marvelous way to make a cup of hot cocoa; especially if you get it from Dunkin Donuts.
    Last edited by John Smith; 05-08-2021 at 04:48 PM.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

I'm going to have to give in and try cold brew. The acid is getting to me.

Thanks. Will look around. Got about 15 lbs of costco columbian in the freezer.

I looked up the cold brew maker I was given years ago. I have no company connections ,etc,etc.
    It's a Filtron system. Dead simple, lasts forever, one part to move, a rubber plug.
    New it's under $40, there is a used one on Ebay for 17.50. I use a paper towel folded over for a filter and it works fine.
    Reviews, some hilarious, are here at the makers site,,,
    https://www.filtron.com/Filtron-30L-...ystem_p_8.html

How many here remember going to the market and having coffee choice of Maxwell House, Folgers, and a few other brands? I'm thinking before we had french roast, columbian, donut shop, etc. to choose from.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    How many here remember going to the market and having coffee choice of Maxwell House, Folgers, and a few other brands? I'm thinking before we had french roast, columbian, donut shop, etc. to choose from.
    When I first moved to the PNW, one would get free coffee refils .Such a nice thing! I thought.
    Soon after , the first Starbucks appeared, I could not grok the business model of charging 5 bux for what we can get fer free.

The Melitta filter, is the best coffee machine ever, I am never going back. How you boil your water is the only time constraint. An oxy acetylene torch will boil two cups of water in about 10-15 seconds. Put the (neutral) flame right down into the water...
    I used to make coffee with lunch out in the woods surrounded by a D-6 all to bits, right on the toolbox in my service truck. And a fir stick, split up with a knife will make countless pairs of instant chopsticks.

(and a paper towel will work the Melitta in a pinch, just separate somehow the paper towel from sticking and sealing to all sides, a fork slid between the paper towel and the holder for example works well . Whatever you do don't use a litmus treated blue shop towel.
    And another tip from an old logging mechanic; never, ever pick up any blue shop towels found in the woods)

^ or, he could go to costco and stock up on a bulk package of omeprazole and push through it
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.