Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Coffee machines

Default Re: Coffee machines

Have à "one cup at à time," Keurig job for the last year. Does the job.
    basil

Machine for coffee? Don't need no stinking machine:

GUEST_f140f375-4eba-41da-aafa-0f0ddcba81e2.jpg
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    I have one of these:

Since it is a stove top I use it on my boat as well as at home.
    I like that, any details?

Quote Originally Posted by pkrone View Post
    Yep, that's why I roast my own beans too. Don't do many blends, mostly single origin stuff. Lighter roasts too to leave a little more residual sweetness. Ethiopians are my favorite.
    HEB does a good job with their Ethiopian Yrgacheffe.

$8.99/pound.

I'm always a little disappointed when they're out of stock.
    Rattling the teacups.

As the magnificent Lord John Marbury (brilliantly played by the great Roger Rees) put it while stirring his tea--" fighting a cold, and the are some rather marvelous results to be gained using ginger root ... and some sort of citrus, I believe."

"What about whiskey?"

"Oh yes," Lord John replied. "In fact, with enough whiskey you could probably skip the ginger root and citrus and still be well on your way..."

If it works with tea it surely will work with coffee.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by artif View Post
    I like that, any details?
    It's an Atomic. Or an Atomic clone.

https://www.atomiccoffeemachines.com.au/

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 10-31-2019 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    I'd say "Italian" on the left, and "French" on the right. I put those in quotes because those beans aren't really roasted to those levels. Looks to me that you've got Vienna on the left, and Full City+ on the right. Should be very good.
    That's the way they are labeled. We tried one different supplier of beans... just a kilo of it - and I liked it, but we won't do any more experimentation until my brother gets here at Christmas.

Our customers seem to like the current blend. We donate one morning's coffee sales to the Ulysses Club charity tin - which seems to be popular with the guys too. I've seen one guy scoff three large in a row when that's on.

130 year old artesian bore water boiled in an electric jug, and lovingly poured over a heaped teaspoonful of whatever blend Moccona instant came home in the groceries. Does that make me a bad person ?
    For really good coffee, there's a dude with a behemoth of a machine, two minutes walk from where I work.

Pete

Long ago when God was a lad an dinosaurs roamed the earth every s.all town on Scotland had at least two coffee shops, these were invariably run by an Italian couple.

Taking pride of place on the counter would be a huge (four foot high) chrome plated machine with two large cylinders and levers, it would hiss like a dragon and produce espresso or scrambled eggs on demand.

Where did these machines go, and how would you find a new one?
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Hi any Nespresso fans here? I'm new to all these stuff. I got it as a Christmas gift but now I finished all capsules that were in the box, so I wanna try something new. I've heard that these should be fine. Any opinion?

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Spammers tend to not last long is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by still_c View Post
    Hi any Nespresso fans here? I'm new to all these stuff. I got it as a Christmas gift but now I finished all capsules that were in the box, so I wanna try something new. I've heard that these should be fine. Any opinion?

eh that you joe so cal???
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Long ago when God was a lad an dinosaurs roamed the earth every s.all town on Scotland had at least two coffee shops, these were invariably run by an Italian couple.

Taking pride of place on the counter would be a huge (four foot high) chrome plated machine with two large cylinders and levers, it would hiss like a dragon and produce espresso or scrambled eggs on demand.

Where did these machines go, and how would you find a new one?
    They're still around. No large cylinders anymore. Starting prices are north of $10,000 US, going to well above $20,000 US.

https://www.lamarzoccousa.com/espresso-machines/

https://uk.lamarzocco.com/machine/leva-x/

Funny thing about these. Some years back, a local steam boiler inspector figured out that these these machines are steam boilers that cranked out 5-7 or more horsepower, well above what required a licensed steam boiler engineer to be on premises.

They had to amend the law pretty quick before the Seattle coffee shops all got shut down.

The kind with the dome is still around, same sort of prices. They did go AWOL fir awhile back in the ... early 80s? ... after a huge drug bust, where the machines were coming into the country with the domes packed full of heroin and/or cocaine.

https://majestycoffee.com/products/v...=8003656450078

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    have you tried adding whiskey, whisky, or rum
    Why bother with the coffee if you have those?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    They're still around. No large cylinders anymore. Starting prices are north of $10,000 US, going to well above $20,000 US.

The kind with the dome is still around, same sort of prices.
    Well the countertop ones look quite sophisticated but efficient money makers, and the big ones are a work of art, perhaps even hand-hammered, a worthy centerpiece to a good coffeehouse.

Having said that, that's a lot of change. Being a retired mechanical engineer, me begins thinking...
    - Did some quick research; Can't use a pressure cooker as the hot water source as espresso machines run at 10X the pressure.
    - Can't pressurize the hot water with compressed air as that would smell yucky from being compressed with a piston in an oiled cylinder.
    - The pressure vessel would be similar in strength to that of an air compressor, same pressure range, but from stainless steel, and good ASME specs.

Construction would need to be quality to be safe, but we're talking no where even close to the costs above, as much of the technology is very similar to air compressors, with some water plumbing added, and from premium materials. Me thinks this is a classic case of the Deadly Business Sin of Premium Pricing, and there's going to be Chinese knockoffs at 1/10 the price (pure utility without the artfulness). I've already seen that happen with industrial stand mixers (for baking). However there is great value to good parts and service support for any commercial equipment, as downtime is costly.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

That looks like a great addition to a boat ! who is the manufacture ?

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    I have one of these:

Since it is a stove top I use it on my boat as well as at home.

Well this was a cute little drip down memory lane...

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    I want to wake up to the sound of a coffee percolator. Surely there's a phone app for that?

I've been discouraged from having coffee apparatus at home, as "we have enough clutter on the kitchen counters already". We have two toasters, but whatever.

Here in the office, I've been gently lobbying for us to ditch the keurig machine and get a nespresso. As I'm typing this, I dunno why I've been so gentle about it.
    I'm just going to order a nespresso and see to it that some inexplicable tragedy befalls the keurig the next day.
    Our "office manager" noticed me nespresso-shopping and said she had one sitting idle in the cabinet at home because the capsules aren't conveniently-available via retail like the k-cups, she brought it in for me the next day, and so the office was double-fisting on the coffee machines because everyone else still preferred the k-cups.
    Skip-ahead to the onset of the pandemic, when it became clear that the work from home situation was going to become a longer-term thing I brought the nespresso machine home with me.

Skip-ahead to present day; the not-retail-available nature of the capsules bit me in the ass last week when I ran out (or probably I do have a box stashed away somewhere that even I can't find) and the weekend+weather combined to delay delivery and leave me drinking freezedried crap for a few days.

It's nice that they recycle the capsules now. I'm just going to willfully turn a blind-eye to the energy consumption of that process.
    What color are their hands now?

keurig has 'refillable' capsules, allows you to load with your preference of coffee. Nespresso do this?

We home-roast; SIL's gig. Not sure what his favorite beans are, but - it's good coffee.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Well the countertop ones look quite sophisticated but efficient money makers, and the big ones are a work of art, perhaps even hand-hammered, a worthy centerpiece to a good coffeehouse.

Having said that, that's a lot of change. Being a retired mechanical engineer, me begins thinking...
    - Did some quick research; Can't use a pressure cooker as the hot water source as espresso machines run at 10X the pressure.
    - Can't pressurize the hot water with compressed air as that would smell yucky from being compressed with a piston in an oiled cylinder.
    - The pressure vessel would be similar in strength to that of an air compressor, same pressure range, but from stainless steel, and good ASME specs.

Construction would need to be quality to be safe, but we're talking no where even close to the costs above, as much of the technology is very similar to air compressors, with some water plumbing added, and from premium materials. Me thinks this is a classic case of the Deadly Business Sin of Premium Pricing, and there's going to be Chinese knockoffs at 1/10 the price (pure utility without the artfulness). I've already seen that happen with industrial stand mixers (for baking). However there is great value to good parts and service support for any commercial equipment, as downtime is costly.
    Bob, in 2002, I had to set up a commercial version of one of those for my Brother-in-law's coffee shop - Italian machine with 'continental' fittings and 208 / 240 volts, had to have dedicated filtered water input, dedicated drain, yada, yada. Also his whipped cream 'flask' had to have nitrogen cylinders, as CO2 cylinders gave the whipped cream an 'off taste'

No, nespresso doesn't do the DIY-refillable capsule thing like keurig.
    Part of the conflict there is that the nespresso machine doesn't let you select the size of the cup you want to make, each capsule is designed for a particular dosage; espresso shot, doubleshot, 5oz, 8oz, and I think 14 and 18 oz, it somehow electro-magically detects which capsule you're using and proceeds accordingly.

I'm ok with not having that option because I remember the DIY K-cup as a fussy messy why-bother PITA.

Why bother?

It's obvious - 'Because'. Really good coffee, done your way. Sometimes 'the good stuff' isn't the easy stuff.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post

That is just about as far from coffee as one can get.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Why bother?

It's obvious - 'Because'. Really good coffee, done your way. Sometimes 'the good stuff' isn't the easy stuff.
    Right. I came to the conclusion that making The Good Stuff was better and more easily done with a french press than with the reusable k-cup thing.

Bobby, I lived in military base housing in 1978, and they had a 'move-out' inspection when I left. At 3 AM that morning, I was wrapping up small details, and took down drapes in the kitchen. That revealed huge holes in the wall, when I patched them, the white of the patch did not match the yellowed, cooking residue stained kitchen walls. No paint stores open at that hour for touchup, so in desperation, I mixed some of those crystals with just a bit of water and wiped it on the patch, then wiped off the excess. The color matched perfectly, and I passed the inspection. The only other use I make of those crystals is to mix some of them with vanilla extract to use as a car deodorizer.

Rick

No machine, but plenty of other ways.

coffee.jpg

My honey just bought a Gaggia Anima and is very happy with it.

Achille Gaggia was an Italian who invented the first espresso machine, had a patent ( in Italy) I believe.
    Gerard>
    Langley, WA

Don't believe Republican lies.

So... does your wife know about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    My honey just bought a Gaggia Anima and is very happy with it.

Achille Gaggia was an Italian who invented the first espresso machine, had a patent ( in Italy) I believe.
    My 25 year old used every day Gaggia. Had it reconditioned once.

63009B23-82BE-451A-9581-1911BB3B6A8C.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post

As much as I agree with the sentiment and the convenience,did you ever think it would find much support on a forum dedicated to building boats from pieces of tree?

boil a kettle. put some ground coffee in a jug . pour on the water. stir and leave a minute or two. coffee

but I admit I habtually use the screw together italian jobs on the stove . Simple quick economical
    Bilious, choleric, sanguine and phlegmatic

I consider instant coffee as a different drink.
    It fills a similar purpose (hot, with caffeine) and can be good, bad or indifferent. Other similarity to coffee from grounds, is purely coincidental.

I was given one of these - an automatic vacuum siphon - for Christmas; it works quite well.

Today, for the first time in a looooong time, I poured myself a cup from an actual honest-to-god Coffee Pot.

I feel like I should get dressed up and go re-enact the battle of Bunker Hill or something.

If you can pardon an infidel, I have gotten used to cold brew. I make a half gallon of concentrate from two soakings over two days with 3/4 pound of Starbuck's Breakfast Blend sold everywhere. I can nuke a lovely 8 ounce coffee many times a day using 1.5 ounces of concentrate each. Fast, no acid and full power, I live off the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Figmental View Post
    I live off the stuff.
    right on
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.