Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789 LastLast

Thread: An Off the Grid Calendar Islands Yawl Build

Default Re: An Off the Grid Calendar Islands Yawl Build

I think the only reason I'd want a mast short enough to fit entirely in the boat would be if I needed it that way for trailering. That would be a small convenience, and worth something.

But for rowing, I see absolutely no need for it. It's easy to let the mast overhang the boat a bit in most designs without interfering with the rowing stroke. I'd make sure to verify that is the case with the CIY, but I'd bet it is.

My own preference is to avoid a too-low boom at all costs (I'm 6' 2"), even if it means a slightly taller mast. And in light airs, that taller mast will be a benefit. You'll need to switch from side to side thousands of times in your sailing, so ducking under a low boom is something I could really come to hate.

So, I'd say my inclination would be NOT to shorten the mast. But Clint's opinion should count for a lot more than mine here. I suspect he drew the plans to fit what he thinks is best, but he might be open to the idea.

I'd say you picked a great boat to build, though.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by dalekidd View Post
    I'd be very happy with them. Nice work!

A few questions.
    1) You said they were 9'. According to the S&T formula, they recommend something closer to 10'. The Small Boat article on the CIY 16 said those oars were 10'. How did you come up with 9'?

They are actually 9'2". My plans from Clint show oars of that size fitting inside the boat with grips forward and blades ending just aft of the center seat. Yes it was a bit less than the ideal length and a compromise.

2) On Clint's diagram of the boat, it shows the oar locks 2'7" from the center line. Is that what you figured?

Yes.

3) How far down the loom did you start your leathers?

I used the formula I found here (and at Smith and Tenney): https://www.christinedemerchant.com/...ring-oars.html Width in inches/2 +2 should be the center of the leather if not overlapping hands.

4) When you row, are you planning on the oar handles coming within 2-3" of each other or do you overlap?

No overlap for me. I'm too old to learn new techniques

5) The buttons look great. How did you attach them? Glue? Epoxy?

Buttons were scarfed at the joint and secured with contact cement, per Duckworks recommendation. It really worked out well.

6) Did you glue or epoxy the leathers to the looms?

Neither. A bit of spray adhesive to secure the underside to the loom and then just stretch the leather in place. That was where I made the mistake of not being in a warm enough location and ended up tearing a couple of the punch holes. You really want the leather to be warm, supple and stretchy.

7) How wide are your blades?

5-1/2" at the widest point. I went more for aesthetics than anything. I won't be doing any competitive rowing!

Don't mean to be tedious. Just doing some figuring. I'm wanting to make a pair of oars. I have some 7' oars and may just keep the same scantlings and just lengthen the dimensions.

Not tedious at all. I started with the same plan, as I have some 8 footers in my shed up north... but when I more closely examined them they were going to be more useful in the fire pit.

TIA

Dale
    Responses in line above.
    By golly she's done! Helga B.... Calendar Islands 16

Thanks, Pete.

I'm taking notes!

Regarding leathering oars/spars. I've done just one boat which included a pair of oars and a sprit boom. It's been over 8 years but seems to me I wetted the leather a bit, stitched it up and the drying process was supposed to stretch it tight. I don't row a whole lot but they have stayed put. I epoxied my buttons and made a bit of a mess. Hopefully next time they will look a little better.

Dale,

The link I included did specify to wet the leather first, but the duckworks instructions didn't - so I went with the DW recommendation. I think when I do the spar I will definitely wet the leather, it just seems to make sense. It seems like doing leathers (like almost every aspect of boat building and sailing) has a thousand variations.

I can tell you that the contact cement on the buttons is by far the way to go. I waited a full hour to let the cement try before applying them and man, it was instant and very strong (like make very sure you're aligned before touching anything together!).

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    I think the only reason I'd want a mast short enough to fit entirely in the boat would be if I needed it that way for trailering. That would be a small convenience, and worth something.

But for rowing, I see absolutely no need for it. It's easy to let the mast overhang the boat a bit in most designs without interfering with the rowing stroke. I'd make sure to verify that is the case with the CIY, but I'd bet it is.

My own preference is to avoid a too-low boom at all costs (I'm 6' 2"), even if it means a slightly taller mast. And in light airs, that taller mast will be a benefit. You'll need to switch from side to side thousands of times in your sailing, so ducking under a low boom is something I could really come to hate.

So, I'd say my inclination would be NOT to shorten the mast. But Clint's opinion should count for a lot more than mine here. I suspect he drew the plans to fit what he thinks is best, but he might be open to the idea.

I'd say you picked a great boat to build, though.

Tom
    I couldn't agree with Tom more. A builder I highly respect once told me I have to make the spars are fit in the boat. Of course, when I designed the boat for the sail area the boat needed and that I wanted, the boom was wayyyyy too low. It should be forehead high. Just high enough to make it easy to duck the boom when tacking and to easily be able to look underneath to leeward. A big window should be built into the sail if the boom is low, otherwise you cannot see to leeward. THis is a huge safety issue in all ways, seeing other traffic and not sweeping a crew member off the boat!!!!

Truth be told even with the mast fitting in the boat, it is better to let it hang out over the transom when rowing...it is still going to be in the way!!!! So might as well design it to get the sail area that is right and the boom height that is comfortable.

On the other hand, on my latest Calendar Islands 18, I have a ketch version and in that case I was able to get all the spars inside the boat and achieve the desired sail area. Thus the advantages of the ketch rig in a small boat.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

So onward it is.

With my newfound "expertise" in lacing leather in hand, I progressed to a couple of other smaller projects:

First, some protection for the mizzen where it passes through the partner.

Then on to the spar. Clint's plan calls for a 36" leather wrap around the spar, but my thinking is that a well positioned 24" piece would be about as much leather sewing as I could handle. At that, the waxed threads were a little over 10' long anyway. If this doesn't work out it can always be redone.

I'm now at the point where I have almost nothing left to do and 3 months before Maine is habitable again (Well, except for the black fly plague each spring). I may come up with a few other little things, but for now I must pause a bit.

Here's my reminder of what I'll be coming back to:

Big day today. I'm packing up the tools and supplies to begin prep for the trek up to Maine. We plan to be up there sometime around May 20th, which means I'll be back at finishing the CIY by the end of the month. I have a hopeful splash date of July 4 (or earlier, no later).

Off the top of my head, here's what needs to be done:

* Test fit masts and adjust as needed.
    * Final fit the seats and lazarette cover.
    * Fit and install the rudder assembly.
    * Paint interior painted surfaces. (I plan to finish with a satin look, so some experimenting with satin additive needed here).
    * Varnish all bright surfaces.
    * Finish the main mast.
    * Fit and install a few additional bits (DB Cover for rowing, lash points for gear, etc etc.)
    * Rig (this will be interesting - my first yawl, my first standing lug)

My heart's pumping just thinking about it. (Well, that and the first capsize... Ha).

Looks great! Can't wait to see her sailing!

Mike

Great to see you back at it. I know you're anxious to get her on the water. I'll be studying your entire thread as I've just begun my CIY 16. You've done a great job, especially knowing this is your first build!

Quote Originally Posted by dalekidd View Post
    Great to see you back at it. I know you're anxious to get her on the water. I'll be studying your entire thread as I've just begun my CIY 16. You've done a great job, especially knowing this is your first build!
    Thank you Dale!

Camp: Open
    Opening Chores: Complete
    CIY16: Off the trailer, on the cradles and ready for finishing. Taping off the interior is complete along with the exterior planks below the sheer.

It's about time. Much cleanup needed this year, and early guests to boot. But finally in the groove trying to remember all of the previously learned lessons and techniques. In the cooler weather (save for today, which is stinking hot), the EZPoxy I'm using in the interior takes more than a day to properly dry and harden. So I'll be applying the first coat to the interior and then spending a day or two varnishing the exterior sheer, rubrail, and transom - along with the main mast, which I've sanded and prepped already.

After all of the prep work plus organizing the work area, putting tools and supplies away, etc etc. I moved on to the first coat of interior EZP and then was able to apply 3 coats of varnish to the sheer and transom. 2 more to go after this dries.

I have also sized the access hole for the boomkin in the transom.

Finally, the mast finishing is coming along nicely. 4 coats of varnish applied.

Pete,
    Real exited to see you finish this beautiful boat and get her in the water!

PS: I saved your pics and flipped them to save my neck. LOL

PSS: hope to post a few pics to my thread tomorrow. while you're on the back end of your build, I'm on the front end. Lots of motivation here!!!

Dale: It feels so good to be at the end of the process, as you move along and things come together it becomes surreal. I need to catch up with your thread, will do so soon.

The challenges associated with posting when off the grid are slowly being reduced. We have a new cellular wifi system with a much better and more affordable data plan.

Since the last update lots has progressed. The interior paint is complete with the last coat including the EZ Poxy satin additive (more on that in the next post) . I've added my sapele tie down points. Two have a bit of an epoxy run, but that fix is being relegated to the "fall refresh". *Yes, I'm already planning a refresh and to complete a few things that will not get done now for the fall *

Next it was time for interior varnish. My initial plan was to finish it with a final coat of satin finish, but the first coat results are convincing me to leave it bright and try it out first.

After the final coats are complete it's floorboard time, then on to hardware including hanging the rudder.
    Last edited by Pete Bergquist; 06-24-2021 at 06:32 AM.

There are a few things I learned about using the satin additive that are, in retrospect, common sense. But if you don't plan ahead (I didn't) you can get caught in some interesting challenges.

The first warning sign is the complete lack of guidance on using the product, it's a trial and error thing to get the right amount of sheen. I settled on a 4:1 paint- to- additive ratio that produced a sheen somewhere between eggshell and satin.

Next, make sure you make up enough in one large batch. Getting your ratios to match exactly is a challenge. I had to make up a second batch and it took several adjustments to get a good match.

Stir often! The additive settles quickly.

Thoroughly clean the top of the can before resealing. The additive dries to a white powder that will contaminate everything.

Love that bright/paint combination on the interior. I anxiously looking at all paint schemes as I try to formulate my plan. I like that sheer strake bright in the interior!

Beautiful work. Will it have to go on its side to get thru the doors? Looks like a short haul to the water once out of the building.

Thank you. Interior wood will stay bright, at least for this season. I hate to mess with success.

Boat (just) fits through the doors with about 3" to spare without flipping on its side. The trailer I have for it also fits though the doors with the boat on it, making winter storage a breeze.

We're 88 feet from the water, but the last 10 feet are pretty rocky. Launching and recovering might be the most interesting part of the sailing day here!
    Last edited by Pete Bergquist; 06-25-2021 at 01:22 PM.

After about 50 name flips from my original ideas I've settled on a name for her:

That was my grandmother, and she was one of my favorite people to ever inhabit this planet. She was also quite feisty - just like many moments in the build. She was a Swedish citizen and never naturalized. When my father would antagonize her, she'd drop into Swedish and start with the bombs. Today it's pretty much all the Swedish I remember

Love the name! Especially the significance. I'm sure you'll do her proud!!

Going through the naming process myself. Sometimes it takes a while. My last 2 boats were probably a year into use before I settled on a name. I've got at least a year to think about it, if I want a name before launching.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bergquist View Post
    After about 50 name flips from my original ideas I've settled on a name for her:

That was my grandmother, and she was one of my favorite people to ever inhabit this planet. She was also quite feisty - just like many moments in the build. She was a Swedish citizen and never naturalized. When my father would antagonize her, she'd drop into Swedish and start with the bombs. Today it's pretty much all the Swedish I remember
    Is this vinyl lettering? And if so, from where did you purchase it?

Quote Originally Posted by robertjhall1 View Post
    Is this vinyl lettering? And if so, from where did you purchase it?
    Yes, it's vinyl. My wife made these with her cricut machine using Outdoor vinyl lettering. We're not sure how durable it will be, and I tested vanishing over it, but it didn't adhere. However it's easily replaceable.

So what’s the news with the maiden voyage? Still thinking before the Fourth?

Cut the letters with the cricket, but use the OUTSIDE of the letters (and any interior pieces to make the holes) as stencils to paint the name on.

Apply decal of outlines of letters, paint inside, remove decal.

IF you end up having durability issues, thatís an option.

Great work on the boat!

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    So what’s the news with the maiden voyage? Still thinking before the Fourth?
    Sadly, no, but close! Update following...

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Cut the letters with the cricket, but use the OUTSIDE of the letters (and any interior pieces to make the holes) as stencils to paint the name on.

IF you end up having durability issues, that’s an option.

Great work on the boat!
    An excellent suggestion! And Thank You!

Varnish. I'm starting to hate the stuff, at least on (near) vertical surfaces. I think I've varnished the transom interior with at least 8 coats, due to finish issues such as runs, sags, etc. I'm not sure at this point what to do differently, given that today's pass also has some sags showing? Ugh! At this point she's going to sail before the finish work is complete, and I'll be doing the fix ups in the fall.

So on to happier news! I think I'm ready for rigging. There is a bit more hardware to install, but much of that will depend on how the sails land. Also, and this is a question for someone who's actually built one or knows something about yawls (because I'm showing my rookie feathers), but on the mizzen, the plan suggests a (downhaul?) line coming off the tack where the sail lacing ends, presumably to a cleat mounted on the mizzen mast... But neither the plan nor the build guide specifically show one. I assume this is correct, but don't want to go drilling holes until I'm sure.

Rudder is mounted and rigged. Tiller is off right now, but has been fitted. Floorboards for the seating area are complete, and also fit well as a tent platform in the raised position. I need additional supplies to complete the forward floor, so that's a rainy day or fall project. I've installed a couple of paddleboard lash points that use 3m adhesive to the interior of the lazerette to hold the lazerette door lock and any other sundry items that we don't want swimming around the compartment. The mast partner is complete, mast gate installed and downhaul hardware attached. Mooring cleats are mounted to both the mast partner and to the aft deck.

Once we have a decent dry day (it's been unsettled in Maine for much of the last week, and looks to be so for next week as well, so dodging raindrops will be the order of the day) I'm going to pull her out and fit the masts and rig. July 10 or 11 is the new launch date. Possibly earlier if the weather cooperates.
    Last edited by Pete Bergquist; 07-04-2021 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post

IF you end up having durability issues, that’s an option.

Great work on the boat!
    The process is just what I do but DON'T use regular vinyl. The outdoor stuff is intended to stick... and it will. But there is a stencil vinyl that is very low tack. It is intended to be removed. I have Gerber Mask that I bought quite a few years ago for a large project. There are others on the market. And, use transfer tape to keep the internal parts of the letters after you weed out the unwanted bits.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    The process is just what I do but DON'T use regular vinyl. The outdoor stuff is intended to stick... and it will. But there is a stencil vinyl that is very low tack. It is intended to be removed. I have Gerber Mask that I bought quite a few years ago for a large project. There are others on the market. And, use transfer tape to keep the internal parts of the letters after you weed out the unwanted bits.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff, Assuming this lettering won't be durable, I'll re-letter with paint next year using your process.

Pete, in regard to those small imperfections in your varnish or painted surface... I can't see em, and neither will you once you're out on the water. In fact, it's amazing how little attention can be paid to the cosmetics of one's hard-built and loved boat when in actual use. I watch the waves, the wind, the sails, and the other crazy boaters. And when not busy with those, I keep a watch for marine life. Orcas are the best to catch a sight of! In short... you will have other things on your mind. And that's OK.

Happy sailing!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Pete, in regard to those small imperfections in your varnish or painted surface... I can't see em, and neither will you once you're out on the water. In fact, it's amazing how little attention can be paid to the cosmetics of one's hard-built and loved boat when in actual use. I watch the waves, the wind, the sails, and the other crazy boaters. And when not busy with those, I keep a watch for marine life. Orcas are the best to catch a sight of! In short... you will have other things on your mind. And that's OK.

Happy sailing!

Jeff
    Good point! (But I would still like to be better at finish coats of varnish! )

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bergquist View Post
    Good point! (But I would still like to be better at finish coats of varnish! )
    The key to better varnishing, is to get lots of practice - I believe that will happen over the next few seasons ( Great build thread, Pete ! )

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    The key to better varnishing, is to get lots of practice - I believe that will happen over the next few seasons ( Great build thread, Pete ! )

Rick
    Alternatively, the key to better varnishing is paint...

Thanks for the build thread--Ilur is deservedly popular these days. Not having one myself, I appreciate all the posts from people who do.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Despite any imperfections which may or may not appear to onlookers, you've got a boat you can be very proud of. Looking forward to your launch day.