Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 78

Thread: An Off the Grid Calendar Islands Yawl Build

Default Re: An Off the Grid Calendar Islands Yawl Build

I think the only reason I'd want a mast short enough to fit entirely in the boat would be if I needed it that way for trailering. That would be a small convenience, and worth something.

But for rowing, I see absolutely no need for it. It's easy to let the mast overhang the boat a bit in most designs without interfering with the rowing stroke. I'd make sure to verify that is the case with the CIY, but I'd bet it is.

My own preference is to avoid a too-low boom at all costs (I'm 6' 2"), even if it means a slightly taller mast. And in light airs, that taller mast will be a benefit. You'll need to switch from side to side thousands of times in your sailing, so ducking under a low boom is something I could really come to hate.

So, I'd say my inclination would be NOT to shorten the mast. But Clint's opinion should count for a lot more than mine here. I suspect he drew the plans to fit what he thinks is best, but he might be open to the idea.

I'd say you picked a great boat to build, though.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by dalekidd View Post
    I'd be very happy with them. Nice work!

A few questions.
    1) You said they were 9'. According to the S&T formula, they recommend something closer to 10'. The Small Boat article on the CIY 16 said those oars were 10'. How did you come up with 9'?

They are actually 9'2". My plans from Clint show oars of that size fitting inside the boat with grips forward and blades ending just aft of the center seat. Yes it was a bit less than the ideal length and a compromise.

2) On Clint's diagram of the boat, it shows the oar locks 2'7" from the center line. Is that what you figured?

Yes.

3) How far down the loom did you start your leathers?

I used the formula I found here (and at Smith and Tenney): https://www.christinedemerchant.com/...ring-oars.html Width in inches/2 +2 should be the center of the leather if not overlapping hands.

4) When you row, are you planning on the oar handles coming within 2-3" of each other or do you overlap?

No overlap for me. I'm too old to learn new techniques

5) The buttons look great. How did you attach them? Glue? Epoxy?

Buttons were scarfed at the joint and secured with contact cement, per Duckworks recommendation. It really worked out well.

6) Did you glue or epoxy the leathers to the looms?

Neither. A bit of spray adhesive to secure the underside to the loom and then just stretch the leather in place. That was where I made the mistake of not being in a warm enough location and ended up tearing a couple of the punch holes. You really want the leather to be warm, supple and stretchy.

7) How wide are your blades?

5-1/2" at the widest point. I went more for aesthetics than anything. I won't be doing any competitive rowing!

Don't mean to be tedious. Just doing some figuring. I'm wanting to make a pair of oars. I have some 7' oars and may just keep the same scantlings and just lengthen the dimensions.

Not tedious at all. I started with the same plan, as I have some 8 footers in my shed up north... but when I more closely examined them they were going to be more useful in the fire pit.

TIA

Dale
    Responses in line above.
    I swear I'm half done.

Thanks, Pete.

I'm taking notes!

Regarding leathering oars/spars. I've done just one boat which included a pair of oars and a sprit boom. It's been over 8 years but seems to me I wetted the leather a bit, stitched it up and the drying process was supposed to stretch it tight. I don't row a whole lot but they have stayed put. I epoxied my buttons and made a bit of a mess. Hopefully next time they will look a little better.

Dale,

The link I included did specify to wet the leather first, but the duckworks instructions didn't - so I went with the DW recommendation. I think when I do the spar I will definitely wet the leather, it just seems to make sense. It seems like doing leathers (like almost every aspect of boat building and sailing) has a thousand variations.

I can tell you that the contact cement on the buttons is by far the way to go. I waited a full hour to let the cement try before applying them and man, it was instant and very strong (like make very sure you're aligned before touching anything together!).
    I swear I'm half done.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    I think the only reason I'd want a mast short enough to fit entirely in the boat would be if I needed it that way for trailering. That would be a small convenience, and worth something.

But for rowing, I see absolutely no need for it. It's easy to let the mast overhang the boat a bit in most designs without interfering with the rowing stroke. I'd make sure to verify that is the case with the CIY, but I'd bet it is.

My own preference is to avoid a too-low boom at all costs (I'm 6' 2"), even if it means a slightly taller mast. And in light airs, that taller mast will be a benefit. You'll need to switch from side to side thousands of times in your sailing, so ducking under a low boom is something I could really come to hate.

So, I'd say my inclination would be NOT to shorten the mast. But Clint's opinion should count for a lot more than mine here. I suspect he drew the plans to fit what he thinks is best, but he might be open to the idea.

I'd say you picked a great boat to build, though.

Tom
    I couldn't agree with Tom more. A builder I highly respect once told me I have to make the spars are fit in the boat. Of course, when I designed the boat for the sail area the boat needed and that I wanted, the boom was wayyyyy too low. It should be forehead high. Just high enough to make it easy to duck the boom when tacking and to easily be able to look underneath to leeward. A big window should be built into the sail if the boom is low, otherwise you cannot see to leeward. THis is a huge safety issue in all ways, seeing other traffic and not sweeping a crew member off the boat!!!!

Truth be told even with the mast fitting in the boat, it is better to let it hang out over the transom when rowing...it is still going to be in the way!!!! So might as well design it to get the sail area that is right and the boom height that is comfortable.

On the other hand, on my latest Calendar Islands 18, I have a ketch version and in that case I was able to get all the spars inside the boat and achieve the desired sail area. Thus the advantages of the ketch rig in a small boat.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

So onward it is.

With my newfound "expertise" in lacing leather in hand, I progressed to a couple of other smaller projects:

First, some protection for the mizzen where it passes through the partner.

Then on to the spar. Clint's plan calls for a 36" leather wrap around the spar, but my thinking is that a well positioned 24" piece would be about as much leather sewing as I could handle. At that, the waxed threads were a little over 10' long anyway. If this doesn't work out it can always be redone.

I'm now at the point where I have almost nothing left to do and 3 months before Maine is habitable again (Well, except for the black fly plague each spring). I may come up with a few other little things, but for now I must pause a bit.

Here's my reminder of what I'll be coming back to:

I swear I'm half done.

Big day today. I'm packing up the tools and supplies to begin prep for the trek up to Maine. We plan to be up there sometime around May 20th, which means I'll be back at finishing the CIY by the end of the month. I have a hopeful splash date of July 4 (or earlier, no later).

Off the top of my head, here's what needs to be done:

* Test fit masts and adjust as needed.
    * Final fit the seats and lazarette cover.
    * Fit and install the rudder assembly.
    * Paint interior painted surfaces. (I plan to finish with a satin look, so some experimenting with satin additive needed here).
    * Varnish all bright surfaces.
    * Finish the main mast.
    * Fit and install a few additional bits (DB Cover for rowing, lash points for gear, etc etc.)
    * Rig (this will be interesting - my first yawl, my first standing lug)

My heart's pumping just thinking about it. (Well, that and the first capsize... Ha).
    I swear I'm half done.

Looks great! Can't wait to see her sailing!

Mike

Great to see you back at it. I know you're anxious to get her on the water. I'll be studying your entire thread as I've just begun my CIY 16. You've done a great job, especially knowing this is your first build!

Quote Originally Posted by dalekidd View Post
    Great to see you back at it. I know you're anxious to get her on the water. I'll be studying your entire thread as I've just begun my CIY 16. You've done a great job, especially knowing this is your first build!
    Thank you Dale!
    I swear I'm half done.

Camp: Open
    Opening Chores: Complete
    CIY16: Off the trailer, on the cradles and ready for finishing. Taping off the interior is complete along with the exterior planks below the sheer.

It's about time. Much cleanup needed this year, and early guests to boot. But finally in the groove trying to remember all of the previously learned lessons and techniques. In the cooler weather (save for today, which is stinking hot), the EZPoxy I'm using in the interior takes more than a day to properly dry and harden. So I'll be applying the first coat to the interior and then spending a day or two varnishing the exterior sheer, rubrail, and transom - along with the main mast, which I've sanded and prepped already.

I swear I'm half done.

After all of the prep work plus organizing the work area, putting tools and supplies away, etc etc. I moved on to the first coat of interior EZP and then was able to apply 3 coats of varnish to the sheer and transom. 2 more to go after this dries.

I have also sized the access hole for the boomkin in the transom.

Finally, the mast finishing is coming along nicely. 4 coats of varnish applied.

I swear I'm half done.

Pete,
    Real exited to see you finish this beautiful boat and get her in the water!

PS: I saved your pics and flipped them to save my neck. LOL

PSS: hope to post a few pics to my thread tomorrow. while you're on the back end of your build, I'm on the front end. Lots of motivation here!!!