Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 78

Thread: Stambaugh Sailing Skiff Build in Virginia Mountains

Default Re: Stambaugh Sailing Skiff Build in Virginia Mountains

The heat and judicious application of clamps really worked like you guys said it would! From up close, I was doubtful that the chine log would edge set. Stepping back and looking at the profile, it sure did! In this view, all the clamps are off, except for the green ratchet strap pulling the chine log in at the transom.

it really worked resized.jpg
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

I realized that the stem needed more lateral bracing. Pushing and pulling trying to get the chine logs to mate was throwing the stem out of plumb. So I added more later braces, the white pieces in this photo. There are also blocks to keep the chine logs at the correct height on the stem, with the heel of the stem 24-1/2" above (below) base line.

braces resized.jpg

It's nice and plumb now. The little level was purchased at the neighborhood drug store in the 1950s, back in the day when "Made in Japan" was the mark of poor quality. The level has held up well and is still accurate.

little level resized.jpg
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Here we are at the end of the day's work. The port chine log is clamped in place, after some adjustment to the notches in the frames. We're all ready for temporary screws. I'll fit the starboard side chine log before epoxying everything in place. After all the learning experiences on the port side, starboard should go more smoothly.

clamped up.jpg
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

After a week or so of minimal progress, preparing chine logs for gluing.

preparing resized.jpg

Forward half of starboard chine log glued and permanently fastened...

starboard glued resized.jpg

...and aft half of port side glued and permanently fastened. Epoxy plus bronze screws definitely seems like a belt-and-suspenders method.

port glued resized.jpg
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Looks like you're getting close to starting planking. Is this plywood-sided, glued lap, traditional lapstrake, carvel, or something else?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "
    The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything."
    Roosevelt, Theodore

It's plywood, Ed. Hopefully planking will go pretty quickly.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

A few moments were stolen yesterday from Crisis-Driven Home Improvement, and the aft half of the starboard chine log is now glued and screwed.

GIF_20210505_103826.jpg
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Somewhere along the way, the forward half of the port chine log got attached without being photgraphed.

Then I realized there had been another major Cerebral Flatulence. You guys are really getting to see the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of this build. Recall my bragging back in #247 about the little 1950s drug store Made in Japan level? I used that level to plumb the stem.

little level resized.jpg

But the eyeball said something was very not right. When checked with another level, the stem was not so plumb. Guess which level was correct?

level_02.jpg
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Time to do a little demolition on work that was just completed. I disconnected all the braces holding the stem in place. Some heat from the 200 watt soldering iron allowed the screws to be removed. I used a hacksaw to start cuts on the epoxy joints, then completed the cuts with the Sawzall. Did you know that the Sawzall cuts on the pull stroke, just like a Japanese saw?

Here's the current state of affairs. I need to plumb the stem correctly, and then re-attach the braces.

Attachment 85781

The Sawzall made short work of the old Made in Japan level. The pieces are now in the scrap aluminum bin. This tool will never mislead me again!

Attachment 85782
    sawzall level resized.jpg
    Last edited by UCanoe_2; 05-19-2021 at 10:41 AM.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Wow, I have not posted in a long time. I have not been idle. Plumbed the stem with a brand new level.

Attachment 86416

Of course now the port side chine log, which fit the out-of-plumb stem, is now too short. I padded out the stem with a piece of Philippine mahogany.

Attachment 86417

Then some Implements of Destruction boatbuilding with the belt sander shaped it to a reasonably symmetrical match with starboard.

Attachment 86418
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Now I have a new problem. At #1 and #2 frames, due to my inexact cutting of notches and the Douglas fir's reluctance to twist, the chine logs are not collinear with the sides of the frames.

Attachment 86420

I am planing the sides of the chine logs, but now they will be too thin at the bottom of the boat. Here, a chine log originally 3/4" thick is down to 1/2" and still not in line.

Attachment 86422

I'm worried that there will not be enough faying surface for gluing and screwing the bottom planking. I'm planning to epoxy another piece of fir on the inside. If you guys have any suggestions, please let me know.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

On a positive note, the chine logs are fitting well at frames #3, 4, and the transom. Risers for stern sheets are installed between #4 frame and the transom.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Forum software would not allow me to put a picture in the last post, so I logged out and logged back in. Here's the missing photo.

transom cleanup resized.jpg
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Oh, the things we do to earn a few Boat Bucks! Construction has been on hold for a few days.

IV arm resized.jpg

Here I am being a medical research guinea pig at the University of Virginia. For the scientifically minded, we are testing how Tylenol affects the accuracy of a continuous glucose monitoring system. For a few days of being poked and prodded, they are paying me well. I'll come out with most of the cash needed for a Trailex trailer.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

A Trailex Trailer is not small change. Just be sure to get your order in well before you need it. I'm still waiting on delivery of one I ordered in March.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "
    Roosevelt, Theodore

Good advice, Ed. This is a pretty lucrative guinea pig gig. As you can see, ordering a trailer is still a bit in the future.

I'm hooked up to the IV again today. Will repost the missing photos from #255 and 256 when I'm back home.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

So here are some of the missing photos:

Re-plumbing the stem with a new level:

new level resized.jpg

Correcting the stem of course left the port side chine log too short. I fitted a piece of Philippine mahogany.

stem phillipine resized.jpg
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Then some Implements of Destruction boatbuilding with the belt sander shaped it to a reasonably symmetrical match with starboard.

stem patch 02 resized.jpg
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

My chine log fitting problem was more complex than I realized at first. Except for the port side of #1 frame, the half breadths at the chine were OK. However, due to the reluctance of the chine logs to twist and my inexact joinery, the upper edges of the chine logs at #1 and #2 frames are too far inboard. It's a little difficult to see in this picture.

chine yardstick resized.jpg

I rigged a temporary bed for the planer and made some tapered shims. These will be applied to the upper edges of the chine logs to make them fair. I'll also have to pad out the sides of #1 and #2 frames by about 3/16".

planer taper resized.jpg

tapered shims resized.jpg

My doctor says boatbuilding helps prevent dementia by requiring us to solve complex problems. So, when I have to go to the nursing home I will not be in the memory care unit!
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

This is a great thread, impressive building, problem solving, and 'hunting'. I am really enjoying it all! And learning a lot. You have great tools and a nice space. I am building a smaller flat-bottom up in 'NOVA', but I live in a rental. All my useful tools (bandsaw, planer, ect) are at my brother's garage in Lexington, so I make frequent trips down your way to dimension wood and cut out pieces. Lots of time on RT81, but I enjoy the scenery and bought my first smoothing plane from Duke's antiques down there for a good price. I am going to endevour to make my mast and sprit soon and your example has been a great resource.

Thanks, Old Guy. I have been following your build thread and greatly admire your craftsmanship. Don't use me as an example -- most of my problem solving results from correcting my own mistakes!

Wave as you go by on I-81. I am a refugee from NOVA, been in this area 46 years and would never go back. Maybe when our boats are complete we can get together IRL.

Lexington is a great town. I worked there for a few years, and watched the steeple collapse when Stonewall Jackson's church burned. "Draketail" on this forum lives near Lexington.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

I just looked up Duke's Antiques, and surely somebody on the forum needs their compass and binnacle http://www.dukesantiquecenter.com/

Old Guy, there used to be a hole in the wall antique store in downtown Lexington that sometimes had good stuff. I have no idea if it is still open, and even 20 years ago the hours seemed to be irregular. IIRC it was on Jefferson St. around the corner from The Palms.

Since you are traveling up and down I-81, you might check out Rolling Hills antique mall in Harrisonburg (Exit 247) and Factory Antique Mall in Verona (Exit 227). Both are right off the interstate, and I have scored some good old tools there.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

No photos, but I have been gluing the shims in #264 to the chine logs. I'm kinda bummed, believing that of course everything should fit together perfectly. But then I looked at another boatbuilding forum in which a guy was singing the praises of Bondo for fitting boat parts....Feelin' better now.

Some of you may remember the thread from last year about "What Would You Do With This Tree?," which began with a 75 foot elm blowing over and ended with that tree plus three others meeting the WoodMizer http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...h+this+tree%3F

Tasks for yesterday and today included sorting through the piles of rough cut lumber and setting aside pieces for boat parts. Here, the tractor is lifting two pieces of ash that will become sheer strakes. They are 17' long, 14" wide, and curved just right. They are 2" thick, and will be resawn and planed to 3/4". Other pieces of ash and elm will become gunwales, breasthooks, and quarter knees.

sorting boards resized.jpg

SWMBO once remarked that my hobby was lifting large heavy objects......
    Last edited by UCanoe_2; 06-03-2021 at 09:12 PM.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Nice! I had a quercus lobata (white oak native to California) blow down on my property a few years ago. It was 18" DBH, and I debated whether to hire someone with a portable wood mill to cut it up on-site. It was on a hill above the house, though, so not easy access. I ended up cutting up the branches (everything under 12") for firewood. The main part of the trunk is still up there.
    "
    Roosevelt, Theodore

Ed, the professional tree guys have some pretty amazing equipment for bringing logs out of tight spots. Of course, their expertise comes with a hefty price tag.

Here's a photo of the "Dingo."

dingo resized.jpg

And here is a video of the "Spider Lift" (not on my job).

He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Nice gear!
    "
    Roosevelt, Theodore

It was great fun, and great expense!

This walnut log was too heavy to lift with the 31 hp. Kubota. I made a sledge to support one end, and dragged it around the field.

big log resized.jpg
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

So, let's take a brief break from the frustration of the chine logs, and work on sheer strakes.

When we cut the trees last year, I picked out a couple ash boards for sheer strakes. Unfortunately, they were cut too thick and needed to be resawn. The original sawyer was too busy to saw them again.

Appalachian Woods in Stuarts Draft, VA has a Wood Mizer. They resawed the boards for me.

wood mizer resized.jpg

The finished product:

ash boards resized.jpg

We have two ash boards ~ 17' long x 8-12" wide X 15/16 thick, and nicely curved. The resawing was expensive, but using lumber from my own trees is priceless.

One of my boating buddies will run them through his lunchbox planer. He's going out of town in a couple weeks, so hopefully we can plane the boards before he leaves.

There are a few thinner boards as well. I have thought for some time it would be cool to make a bodhran. A thin, steam bent, ash board would make a good frame. There's a rawhide deer skin in the attic that would make a good head. Then I can drive my wife nuts by teaching myself how to play it!

He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain