Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Return to Georgian Bay, Part II

Default Re: Return to Georgian Bay, Part II

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Once again I have started reading a thread and not noticed the date till some way into it. Very enjoyable read .
    Glad you're enjoying it. This trip was one of my favorite trips so far. Along with all my other Georgian Bay trips, of course...

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, it's been several decades since I got a boat wet in Georgian Bay too. And won't be doing so any time soon either.
    Are there provincial border crossing restrictions right now up there? I haven't been following all that since you all locked us out.

I don't know much about New Brunswick, but I'd sure like to get a boat to the south coast of Newfoundland. If there's anyplace that beats Georgian Bay for wild rocky sailing, that might be it. Several degrees more challenging at least, I imagine, but still, I might be persuaded to ferry a small boat over and try it someday.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Yeah, some provinces have border restrictions. Perhaps coincidentally they're also the provinces with a far lower rate of COVID troubles.

NL is indeed unspeakably rugged - my son sent a couple of clips of Bonavista's shoreline yesterday, and migod. The bravery of people who fished there in wee sail and oar boats. Magnificent scenery though.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom
    I'll bump this thread to add a link to a Zoom presentation about this trip that I just did at Midwest Mountaineering's Outdoor Adventure Expo (normally an in-person event in Minneapolis), in case anyone's interested in a slightly different kind of presentation. Not only a trip report, but also intended to be a bit of an introduction to the idea of sail & oar cruising.

That was a fascinating presentation. Georgian Bay is such a different landscape than the Chesapeake, but it does look like it'd be really interesting to explore. 15 hours away though...

I especially liked your point about how these boats are often going slow enough that you can figure out your mistakes before getting too far out of the way. My biggest navigation mistake was when I was returning from the Wolf Trap lighthouse. I thought I was aiming for Gwynn's Island, but instead I was looking at Fleet's Island. That dogleg added just under a mile, or a grand total of 15 minutes to the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jeff View Post
    That was a fascinating presentation. Georgian Bay is such a different landscape than the Chesapeake, but it does look like it'd be really interesting to explore. 15 hours away though...
    The solution, of course, is to set aside enough time to make such a long journey worth the effort...

Quote Originally Posted by The Jeff View Post
    I especially liked your point about how these boats are often going slow enough that you can figure out your mistakes before getting too far out of the way. My biggest navigation mistake was when I was returning from the Wolf Trap lighthouse. I thought I was aiming for Gwynn's Island, but instead I was looking at Fleet's Island. That dogleg added just under a mile, or a grand total of 15 minutes to the trip.

Yep, you know exactly what I was talking about. At these slow speeds, my brain is constantly "updating" the latest visual inputs and adjusting my chart-terrain association. As in, "Oh! That island over there is this island on the chart, not that island as I was thinking at first." Many times, you just don't lose much ground because of errors like that.

Another way to think of it: ALL of my navigation assumptions and conclusions are provisional, ready to be disproven as soon as evidence arises to conflict with my current (provisional) beliefs about where exactly I am.

Edit to add: Of course, these kinds of errors might matter MUCH more in tidal waters with significant currents! The Great Lakes really are wonderfully uncomplicated for small boat cruising.

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 05-04-2021 at 07:49 AM.

www.tompamperin.com