Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Skookum Maru

Default Re: Skookum Maru

Thanks for checking in Joe. All good here. Just utterly buried between work and family obligations so I haven't been doing much with boats recently. First the holidays took over everything for a few weeks. We had been thinking of taking a winter cruise between Christmas and New Years but in the end we decided that the logistics of managing a semi-trained puppy aboard the boat would be too much. And then Dash started in-person school for the first time since last March which threw several new wrenches into the works. But Skookum Maru has been patiently sitting at the dock and is ready to go any time. She was called to perform occasional duty as a remote school room for a few weeks in December, which was a nice change of pace for everyone even though we didn't get away from the dock. And I've been planning various boat projects that I want to work on soon. But right now I'm rewiring the kitchen lighting and tackling other tasks at the house so boat work will have to wait a bit longer.

I did, however, get out for the first row of the new year a few days ago.

Very satisfying. Now I just need to make time for the *second* row...

Anyway, with everything that is going on I may not post much here for a bit but I hope everyone is staying well and getting a good start to the year!
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

'bout time you updated us!

I get the demands on one's time however...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Yikes, I see your outrigger problem - have to dock at the end of the ramp or you can't get out. Folding riggers would be another project to add to your list, but should be a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    'bout time you updated us!

I get the demands on one's time however...
    Cheers Garret yeah, every so often I have stop playing with boats and go be an adult for a while. Sigh. Of course Dash and I are re-reading Swallows and Amazons right now, which doesn't help with the "be an adult" motivation. More like a reason to run away to sea and play at being pirates...

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    Yikes, I see your outrigger problem - have to dock at the end of the ramp or you can't get out. Folding riggers would be another project to add to your list, but should be a big help.
    Yes, and the bull rail doesn't help as it makes for a large drop getting from the dock to the boat. But after our earlier exchange about folding outriggers, etc. I realized that they wouldn't really work in this case because the boat isn't stable enough without the oars in the water. It's not as bad as a racing single but even so getting into it and then trying to unfold the riggers and ship the oars would a good way to go swimming. But launching the boat from the trailer and then walking it to the end of the dock works well enough. Once the oars are in place it's not too hard to get in the boat. I do need a fender to keep her from rubbing on the dock while I'm parking the trailer though.
    - Chris

Well, this spring has been more than usually taxing. I've spent most of the time between that last post in January and now battling a pinched nerve. Which is one of those things that I never really thought much about, figuring it was something one gets over in a few days, rather like a crick in the neck. But it turns out that is not the case, or at least not always. Using a keyboard for any length of time was one of the many things that it prevented me from doing, so forum updates and similar social posts have been sacrified in order to spend my efforts on paying work. And no rowing either, although I recently started doing brief erg workouts again. So it goes. But it's mostly resolved now and not worth dwelling on.

Not much to report of interest but I did start refinishing the whitehall a couple of weeks ago. No photos yet but will share (slow) progress as I make it. And Scout has grown up a bit...

We've taken him down to Skookum Maru a few times so he can get familiar with the boat but so far have not left the dock with him. Time to do that soon. But I will say that having two 40lb-50lb dogs and a somewhat unreliable back is making me think seriously about the convenience of a transom door. And maybe a somewhat larger swim step. Something for the wish list...
    - Chris

Sorry to hear about the pinched nerve, Chris. Unfun...I know! But Scout and Skookum Maru are both looking good. Hope all heals up well and you have a great summer!

Sorry to hear about your having a lot of nerve! Glad it's getting better & have to say that the dog looks quite comfortable with the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Sorry to hear about the pinched nerve, Chris. Unfun...I know! But Scout and Skookum Maru are both looking good. Hope all heals up well and you have a great summer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Sorry to hear about your having a lot of nerve! Glad it's getting better & have to say that the dog looks quite comfortable with the boat.
    Thanks Hugh and Garret. We are looking forward to summer for sure. So far Scout is doing well aboard the boat. He has yet to make his peace with docks however. He usually slinks a few feet before lying down and refusing to move. I've carried him a few times but that's going to get old soon. But I expect he will get over it. If we have our older dog Addie along he follows her and does fine.

The other challenge we will have is that our little 9' dinghy is barely up to the job of taking the three of us and Addie. I don't think there is room for three people and two dogs, especially as Dash isn't getting any smaller. So we are still on the lookout for something a bit larger and towable. I know a 12'-14' RIB would be the most practical solution but I still have hopes of finding the right wooden boat.
    - Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post

It seems as if Scout is ready to be issued a pair of binoculars.

Jeff

Hey Chris, glad you’re on the mend and I hope you guys have a great summer.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    It seems as if Scout is ready to be issued a pair of binoculars.

Jeff
    Ha! Yes, he was very intently observing a pair of mallards when I took that photo.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    Hey Chris, glad you’re on the mend and I hope you guys have a great summer.
    Thanks Jim. You too!
    - Chris

Hey Chris. Sorry about the physical slow down. That has to be hard on a person as active as you. Hope to cross paths in a harbor this year. Snoose is pimped out for a twenty foot inspection and seems to be functioning well. We are heading to Poulsbo Monday to just drop the hook and unwind aboard for a couple of days. No long trips planned yet, but I’m sure we’ll get at least to the US islands this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Hey Chris. Sorry about the physical slow down. That has to be hard on a person as active as you. Hope to cross paths in a harbor this year. Snoose is pimped out for a twenty foot inspection and seems to be functioning well. We are heading to Poulsbo Monday to just drop the hook and unwind aboard for a couple of days. No long trips planned yet, but I’m sure we’ll get at least to the US islands this year.
    Thanks Ron. It hasn't been fun but it was harder on Tory than me I think. I was, er, somewhat cranky for a few weeks there. I'm not good at convalescing. Glad to hear you are getting out on Snoose. I'm trying to convince the family that we can just spend the entire summer cruising. Leave as soon as Dash finishes school in a couple of weeks and come back in the fall. But so far I'm not making much headway. Too many logistical challenges I guess, between work and various other commitments. Anyway we will do our annual August cruise for sure but everything else is up in the air.
    - Chris

Welcome back, Chris,
    We're happy to see you at the helm once more.

We all missed your posts so anything you write about - a short or long cruise along your beautiful coast - will be fine with us.

We wish you good health and a fast recovery from that pinched nerve.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.
    "Ships are the nearest thing to dreams that hands have ever made." Robert N. Rose

I'm glad to hear you're doing better. Welcome back
    Last edited by Bobcat; 05-30-2021 at 11:23 AM.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Chris, good to hear from you! It's been a while.

So we are still on the lookout for something a bit larger and towable. I know a 12'-14' RIB would be the most practical solution but I still have hopes of finding the right wooden boat.
    Here's a possibility: A late 60's Century Cheetah. These are good looking and capable boats showing a lot of wood, but with a fiberglass hull (your secret will be safe with us) so you don't have to worry so much when beaching it or when getting into a little argument with a dock.

century-cheetah-567683.jpg

Here's an example up on Vancouver Island been listed since September: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1617...41596873064241

I hope you can get your pinched nerve treated well and soon.

--Paul

Thanks all. I’m pretty much over the pinched nerve now. Just some residual tingling in my hand sometimes. Acupuncture really works! Paul, I do like the Cheetah and the fiberglass hull doesn’t bother me at all but the price is a bit more than we want to spend. I keep coming back to the Dad’s Ol’ Skiff design. That would be perfect but there is no chance I would have time to build something like that for another year at least. So perhaps the right answer is a large roll-up inflatable. We had a small Avon for a while and that worked well. Not at all attractive, can’t row it, but they will carry a lot and it would fit into the hard dinghy on longer passages when we don’t want to tow it. Thinking...
    - Chris

There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    Yes! I have been thinking about that one. I agree, it would be perfect. Might have to go have a look.
    - Chris

YES! I've been trying to justify buying that tender for weeks (and failing). It would be best if Chris got it so I would no longer be at risk of making a bad decision...

The last time Ben shared a CL link I wound up with that Culler boat with a hole in it.... I don't think I'm allowed any more until that one floats...

Riveted lapstrake, Herreshoff lines. Complete with trailer. Two rowing stations. A centerboard with a sail rig. A little woody maintenance to keep you busy. You may be on to something here!

herreshoff02.jpg

Well I haven't had a chance to do anything about a tender yet, but I am making slow progress on the whitehall.

Might end up towing that this year. Not really ideal for the job but at 17' it's plenty roomy and it's a lovely boat to row.

- Chris

Hello Chris,

That "taxi" whose photos you just posted is not a shabby ride at all. We're sure that it will take you comfortably from Skookum Maru to a dock or nearby shore.

She's a great looking tender even if her purpose was not intended for "tendering."

Heck, we wouldn't look any further for another ride; a small 4 Hp, four-stroke outboard would be ideal and provide a bit of help if you want to motor in lieu of rowing.

Just my 2˘'s worth.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.
    "Ships are the nearest thing to dreams that hands have ever made." Robert N. Rose

Thanks Joe. Mostly I wonder how well she would tow but only one way to find out I guess. Also it seems silly to put a motor on this boat. She rows so easily and the motor would ruin that. Maybe an electric OB though, if it could be done without spoiling the boat.
    - Chris

Well it looks like we are finally going to get Skookum Maru out of the shed this year. Various commitments have kept us shore-bound until now but the Salish Sea is calling so responsibilities be damned, we are gonna go cruising. Soon. Really. But first we are just going to move the boat from our permanent moorage inside the locks and under cover to a temporary spot at Shilshole Marina, where we will be on salt water and outside. Right next to Ron L. and Snoose as it turns out...

And also Barnacle, a Wm. Atkin design:

(https://classicyacht.org/boats/barnacle for more details on this interesting boat)

The plan is to do a little local cruising for the next few weeks and then head north in August. Probably just to the San Juan Islands again this year. It sounds like the Canadian border might be open soon for vaccinated visitors but since Dash can't get the vaccine yet that leaves us out. Maybe next year. But we have plans to visit a few new spots in the San Juans so I expect that we will have plenty of adventure right here in the U.S. of A.

And on the "Maintenance and Repair" side of things, I have been contemplating this photo, posted here a while back.

That transom is a climb to get over. We have a cooler that we can place in front of it as a step but even so it's a high wall. Scout is a limber and active pup and would have no problem making the leap but Addie (our other dog) and I are not so spry. And the drop on the other side is even taller, with a ladder that is just navigable for a person but not for a dog:

The current process for getting the dogs ashore is that I stand on the swim step and lure them onto the cooler/step, then scoop them up (one at a time!), pivot awkwardly and then deposit the pup into the bottom of the dinghy. Which is not enjoyable for anyone involved. Every time I do it I fully expect to either trip and fall overboard, or into the dinghy, with accompanying injuries, or to tear some critical muscle or ligament. And getting them back aboard is worse - a tentative and precarious lift-and-turn to get the dog out of the dinghy and over the transom.

I've sketched endless variations on folding steps, ramps and other devices to solve the problem but nothing I've come up with seems like it would actually work. And they are all complicated and awkward to deploy and stow. All of which has me daydreaming about transom doors. Like this one on Topaz, an Ed Monk Jr. design:

(https://classicyacht.org/boats/topaz)

It's not a small modification, to be sure. I expect I would want a naval architect to weigh in on the changes needed to replace the integrity lost by cutting a huge hole in the strongest transverse structure in the boat. Or at least an experienced shipwright. But I think it would be a positive step both aesthetically and functionally. (My wife is not convinced but I'm working on that). And lest anyone be over concerned about destroying originality, the transom was rebuilt a few years ago. And I believe that Paul and Kim, the previous owners, contemplated adding a transom door at that time.

Not something we are going to do right away but maybe a project for this fall. Now where did I leave the number for Thomas Boat Repair...? Might need to give them a call. (https://www.thomasboatrepair.com/)

Any opinions, pro or con? A travesty that would destroy Ed Monk's masterpiece? Is the pursuit of convenience a slippery slope that will lead to such horrors as a flying bridge, bow and stern thrusters, and all manner of modern conveniences? These are the things I think about at 3:00 in the morning when I should be sleeping.
    Last edited by cstevens; 07-18-2021 at 10:07 AM.
    - Chris

And I believe that Paul and Kim, the previous owners, contemplated adding a transom door at that time.
    Yes we did. But what was going to be a little project was already turning into a major project and we settled on "just repair and rebuild to the original drawings" as a principle to try to streamline decisionmaking a bit.

In my opinion, it would be a great convenience to have one on Skookum Maru, and would not be a violation of Monk's design philosophy at all; some of his cruiser designs had them, some didn't. Have a close look at Topaz and a talk with Thomas and go for it.

As for a flying bridge: Uh-uh, no, nope.

--Paul

The transom door on Topaz is perfect. Blends in beautifully & makes getting in & out hugely easier & safer. As long as the structural part can be safely worked out, I'd say go for it.

I can't see the details on the hardware on Topaz, but if it had a way to tie the sides together (IOW, not just a doorbolt) - I'd think the structure could be dealt with. Or maybe a top piece that hinges & is tied to the other side with a vertical pin? Just thinking out loud...

Or latches like this only with more leverage & prettier?

If you do choose to go with a door John will do it right. It's the sort of thing that's right up his alley. Of course I'm biased after 4 years of working for him.

Home for the next few weeks and happy to be here.

Thanks for the opinions on the transom door. And thanks, Nicholas, for the recommendation. I figured John Thomas would be the guy for the job but good to have it confirmed by someone who should know. I’ll give him a ring this week and see what he has to say about the project.
    - Chris

Not that he needs the recommendation, but John and crew put a new transom on Henrietta, and generally got her (and me) into shape when I first purchased her. Totally different boat and transom, but I was happy to have worked with him.

I think a door would look great on SM.

Quote Originally Posted by lukes View Post
    Not that he needs the recommendation, but John and crew put a new transom on Henrietta, and generally got her (and me) into shape when I first purchased her. Totally different boat and transom, but I was happy to have worked with him.

I think a door would look great on SM.
    Thanks Luke. Good to hear! Also Garret, to your point about latches, there is actually a specific device called "transom door latch" made just for that purpose:

Graywin (also a Monk design) has a similar latch on her transom door:

- Chris

I shoulda known! I realize it won't be inexpensive, but I think it's a great idea.

Ok, I talked to John Thomas about the transom door job. He is booked up for the next few months but that's not really a problem as we weren't going to be able to do it before we go cruising in August anyway. So we will get on the list and tackle it when we get to the top. That means the fall maintenance chore will be to refinish the paint on the decks and cabin top, which is definitely showing its age.
    - Chris

Great to have you as a neighbor Chris. Unfortunately with Skookum Maru and Barnacle as neighbors, I’m going to have to up my game. Repainting the aft cap rails now, so many other eyesores. I told Rod and Mary, (your J42 neighbors) that a wooden boat was coming in. He said something about hoping it wasn’t a home-wired old firetrap. You should have seen his jaw drop when Skookum Maru came in. They are nice people, just not really familiar with the nicer side of wooden boats. Most of the folks in the neighborhood are very nice. Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Great to have you as a neighbor Chris. Unfortunately with Skookum Maru and Barnacle as neighbors, I’m going to have to up my game. Repainting the aft cap rails now, so many other eyesores. I told Rod and Mary, (your J42 neighbors) that a wooden boat was coming in. He said something about hoping it wasn’t a home-wired old firetrap. You should have seen his jaw drop when Skookum Maru came in. They are nice people, just not really familiar with the nicer side of wooden boats. Most of the folks in the neighborhood are very nice. Welcome.
    Thanks Ron. If it makes you feel any better, take a look at all the bare spots in the varnish on the hand rails. I get a twinge every time I see them but I'm calling it part of the deck refinishing project and putting it off until September. And having seen plenty of home-wired old wooden firetraps I can't really blame the neighbors for being concerned. But I'd also note that the fiberglass boat in the slip next to us at Stimson had an electrical fire a few weeks ago. Fortunately the liveaboards on the dock noticed it and took action, else things might have gone quite badly. Anyway, it's great to be out of the shed for a bit. And I'll be sure to say hello to Rod and Mary.
    - Chris