Thread: Lumber for Mayfly 16

Default Lumber for Mayfly 16

Hi!

So, I am currently ordering materials to start the build of our Michalak Mayfly 16. We decided to go on the side of quality materials instead of lumberyard stuff as the quality of lumberyard materials is real crappy around here.

I placed an order for Meranti plywood but I am now wondering what species of wood to get for the lumber parts? Michalak suggest using pine, which I could easily get, but I could also get Douglas fir or a variety of hardwood as well. What would you all suggest?

If it can help, I am from Montreal, Quebec!

Thanks,

Daniel Roussel

Default Re: Lumber for Mayfly 16

Probably the particular species is less important than the individual pieces -- though pine is softer and easier to bend than douglas fir (at least kiln dried, it can get brittle), so you may have better luck sticking within the softer woods if that's what the design calls for. I'm sure I've seen someone talking about lumber yards in Montreal, so if you don't have a good place where you can reject pieces that aren't tight grained, knot free, etc, search around the forum!

e.g., I found a wonderful piece of eastern white pine at a lumberyard near me -- incredibly tight grained along the entire 16ft length, no knots, etc. It was rough sawn, high grade, so certainly wasn't the cheapest piece...

People also certainly have success picking through lumber yard 2x10s or 2x12s and finding ones that have at least good parts (the bigger boards come from bigger trees, so more likely to have heartwood, etc).

The Wood Database is a good source for comparing the qualities of different woods.

the man who took my AF-3 frum raw materials to 3D used miranti and pine

thumbnail-1.jpg thumbnail-3.jpg

he is a veteran Michalak builder and has sailed his own creations in the Texas 200 as well as many freshwater lakes across the mid ahd south western states with good results

if you can secure knot free tight grained pine i'm betting you will be just fine and will be a few pounds lighter than if you used anything else

Doug Fir might be a bit more rot resistant butt knot a tie breaker either way

BON CHANCE

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

There are a few good places, some specialized, where I'd be able to get pretty much any kind of wood. It's the big box store such as HomeDepot that only have crappy stuff. Nice pine should be easy enough to find but I somehow always believed that it wasn't really suitable on a boat though.