Thread: Ideas for Wooden Box Mast repair

Default Ideas for Wooden Box Mast repair

Hi Folks,
    Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about the best way to tackle this repair. The mast belongs to a 37 foot Tayana and the rest of the mast seems solid, The rot area started from adjacent to the inner forestay attachment point, there was a bolt welded to a stainless plate and epoxied into the middle of the mast, the clothespin joint in the mast houses a through bolt for the port and starboard stay attachment point. There are also some vertical running stress cracks in the wood at various places above the rot area.

mast rot.jpgthanks guys/gals

Default Re: Ideas for Wooden Box Mast repair

Is this wood with epoxy over it or encapsulated in some way?
    This looks pretty extreme, are you certain as to no more rot?
    Is the box made by each side having one overlapping edge and one under lapping edge?
    Or is it two sides that are capped?
    I would be tempted to run a saw up the edge cutting out the entire bad part on the one side and a little more (probably want to take off fittings if necessary)
    and then scarfing in a new panel, maybe capping both sides if necessary. Also Making the transition from good wood to bad wood somewhat staggered and or very gradual.

One might also be tempted to replace that entire side just to feel extra secure about the final result

Hi toxophilite
    It seems the last repairer installed a clothes peg joint where attachments go through the mast then backfilled epoxy with filler to make a flat surface then scarfed a piece over that on the one side only, inside was box in box but at repair sight the installed second pieces of wood and used epoxy fillets to join the original mast to the repair. the rest of the mast is box in a box with stringers in four corners.
    I'm thinking I may cut out the clothes peg joint and install new hardwood blocks in the area where attachments will go through and then oversize holes and backfill with epoxy for the places where the bolts go through the mast, they haven't done that previously and that's where the rot set in. would you say I should put a long joint of wood inside where attachment go through or put multiple small blocks in there for shrouds and stay attachment points more like bulkheads

I think I'd strip all the hardware and just make a new mast. box section hollow, all the scarfing necessary isn't avoidable and you are going to have to do a certain amount anyway if you go down the repair route . Don't chuck good wood/money after bad. Your biggest expense will be your time Start afresh.
    Bilious, choleric, sanguine and phlegmatic

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

are those wooden telephone poles in the background ?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    I think I'd strip all the hardware and just make a new mast. box section hollow, all the scarfing necessary isn't avoidable and you are going to have to do a certain amount anyway if you go down the repair route . Don't chuck good wood/money after bad. Your biggest expense will be your time Start afresh.
    I agree. You'll spend more time and money jack-assing around trying to salvage and mix and match than you will just building a new mast.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I like the steps...another 500 screw holes for sweetwater to get in.
    (don't put them back on )