Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pilgrim, a Down East-style Picnic Boat, Free to a Good Home

Default Re: Pilgrim, a Down East-style Picnic Boat, Free to a Good Home

Quote Originally Posted by PetrB View Post
    A friend, posts as MMD, sent me the link. Could you please email me so we can discuss more.
    petr.brozek@outlook.com
    Thank you,
    PetrB
    Thanks Petr. I sent you an email.

All, Dad got out to the yard today to take some current photos which he sent me, along with some older ones showing the bilge and the engine:

Cockpit and helm:

Engine. Includes new engine mounts. Currently sitting on the engine beds but not connected to anything:

Cabin:

Bilge (before installation of the engine):

- Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

And here is the condition of the stem and hood ends. This is the main problem area in the boat according to a shipwright (and the former owner before Dad) who inspected her last year:

Last edited by cstevens; 03-23-2019 at 07:49 PM.
    - Chris

The stem and hoodends are a bit of a mess but not insurmountable. The bilge looks great. A worthy project for someone.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    The stem and hoodends are a bit of a mess but not insurmountable. The bilge looks great. A worthy project for someone.
    Thanks Jim. That's my take as well although I haven't seen her recently so I can't say for certain. But given the amount of work she's had done over the years I'd be surprised if there was too much else needed.
    - Chris

A new stem is not a very big job. It will need immediate attention though. All those fastener holes are because the stem is so soft it would not hold screws. I imagine the screw holes in the planks can just be filled with epoxy and the redrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    A new stem is not a very big job. It will need immediate attention though. All those fastener holes are because the stem is so soft it would not hold screws. I imagine the screw holes in the planks can just be filled with epoxy and the redrilled.
    Actually, the problem isn't as great as that. The stem is checked but not soft. I could be wrong, but perhaps there's another explanation for the additional holes. Sick fastenings?

Umm well maybe, however normally this is because the screws aren't holding. With the hole in the stem I just added that in as a rot issue.

Epilogue: Pilgrim did find a good home and is being restored with a new Yanmar diesel in place of the Crown.

And according to my Dad the Crown also found a good home in a vintage Chris Craft. So that worked out as well!
    - Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Epilogue: Pilgrim did find a good home and is being restored with a new Yanmar diesel in place of the Crown.

What is the advantage of the exhaust silencer on the transom? I always check to see if cooling water is coming out of the exhaust after starting the engine. I'd think a silencer would make it impossible to check for that. It would just bubble.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    What is the advantage of the exhaust silencer on the transom? I always check to see if cooling water is coming out of the exhaust after starting the engine. I'd think a silencer would make it impossible to check for that. It would just bubble.
    It does quiet things down a bit. I had one on Savona as well. I also always check cooling water flow on startup. I don't recall ever having any difficulty confirming that water was flowing but that was over twenty years ago now so I don't remember the details. I vaguely recall there was a hole in the aft edge though. I'm thinking that might let enough water out to confirm flow.
    - Chris

I always look overboard to confirm cooling water flow. With an engine box I believe you can lift the cover and carefully feel a the proper place.

It's good to see she has found a new owner with the resources to make her right.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Great result after a few years.
    Surprised that the Yanmar doesn't have a temp sensor after the injection elbow to warn of low water flow. Still, easy to fit one.