Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    LPBC, SC USA
    Posts
    1,576

    Default 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    On a couple forums, the subject of 20s and 30s raised deck motor cruisers and dreamboats has came up, along with their more recent fiberglass reproductions. I am familiar with their looks, not so much with their designers, designs, and any available plans for amateur boat building. I really like the William Hand designs, I think that's his name, from Australia.

    What little I know comes from Weston Farmer's Elco 26 and Atkins designs, plus the few builds, or I should say rebuilds on this forum. I'm posting up in hopes to learn more about raised deck cruisers of days gone by, their designers, and plans. It would be nice to have an updated version that is ply on frame design, full displacement, with a small inboard diesel.

    Here is a wonderful example of an Elco 26. She's a beautifully done amateur build and what I envision when I think of raised deck cruisers.

    Plans used to be available here on WB mag site. I can't find them but they are available on Duckworks. http://65.110.86.132/plans/wf/elco/index.htm

    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/...elco/index.htm

    starboard.jpg

    I hope this would have been me back in the early 1900's.

    elco-1.jpg
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,893

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Tad Roberts has a few:

    http://tadroberts.ca/services/new-de.../yellowcedar34
    http://tadroberts.ca/services/new-design/power/memory38
    http://tadroberts.ca/services/new-design/power/memory44

    How big do you want? Or how small? I suspect he'd be interested in doing a Memory 26-ish design if someone was serious about it.
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mukilteo, WA
    Posts
    3,437

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Locally,
    Ed Monk did quite a few of this type. I believe the Blanchard shop did as well.

    There are quite a few around, but finding complete plans sounds more difficult.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
    Posts
    24,514

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    28,084

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    I have been tempted by Tad Roberts' Shanty Boat 20. Had it just a little more shape below the waterline that would behave just a little better and I might have gone for it.

    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    3,473

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Jim D you posted this one a few years ago. Looks like it might meet the OP's interest:


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    28,084

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    Jim D you posted this one a few years ago. Looks like it might meet the OP's interest:

    I did? Oh, right! I did! ...I could see dressing it up with a proper, but lightly constructed, cabin for our not so sunny west coast winter. I like the narrow beam to move easily with low power
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Take a look at Devlin’s Scout 20 and Hylan’s Bowler 26.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kiel, Germany
    Posts
    346

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Mark Smaalders has a 28 footer, Olga. Ply over CNC cut frames.
    She was reviewed favourably in WB240 by Bob Stephens.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    N.E. Connecticut.
    Posts
    7,012

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Raised decks were very popular on the Jersey shore well into the 30’s.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    N.E. Connecticut.
    Posts
    7,012

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    The last one may still be around. I think I know of another similar that is available down south.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northern Europe
    Posts
    12,949

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Nice old adverts, not seen those ones, thanks for sharing Ned.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lexington, MA
    Posts
    819

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Ruel Parker has done some more modern versions.
    See: parker-marine.com for his 36-foot Commuter-style power sharpie

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,893

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Tom Lathrop's Bluejacket is a nice modern interpretation of the theme as well. I think at least one build has been documented here: http://bluejacketboats.com/
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    LPBC, SC USA
    Posts
    1,576

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    A lot of good posts. Sorry for my absences. I've been busy and I had computer problems. I had a bad plugin that wasn't allowing me to view the forums. It was blocking cookies.


    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I have been tempted by Tad Roberts' Shanty Boat 20. Had it just a little more shape below the waterline that would behave just a little better and I might have gone for it.

    I agree. I would like to see this with a bit more shape below the waterline. I think it's still a nice design for someone like me that doesn't have a lot in the way of boatbuilding experience.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    Jim D you posted this one a few years ago. Looks like it might meet the OP's interest:

    I looked for more info on this slim lady but came up with only the pic you posted here.


    Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Tom Lathrop's Bluejacket is a nice modern interpretation of the theme as well. I think at least one build has been documented here: http://bluejacketboats.com/
    Tom does have nice boats, light and stiff.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,731

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Still quite like mine....David Payne original round-bilged lines that I changed over to hard-chined stitch and glue so I could build her.

    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Central MA
    Posts
    8,045

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Locally,
    Ed Monk did quite a few of this type. I believe the Blanchard shop did as well.

    There are quite a few around, but finding complete plans sounds more difficult.
    There are plans for one in Ed Monk's book "How to Build Wooden Boats' which is easily available
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Oriental, NC USA
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    A lot of good posts. Sorry for my absences. I've been busy and I had computer problems. I had a bad plugin that wasn't allowing me to view the forums. It was blocking cookies.

    Tom does have nice boats, light and stiff.
    Quite a few Bluejackets from 24' to 28' are cruising. This one completed "The Great Loop" Circumnavigating the waters of the US East coast. Building blog - http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluejacket28/ , Great Loop blog - https://www.facebook.com/vesseldede
    Tom L

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    28,084

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Mark V 20

    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Duncan, Vancouver Island
    Posts
    28,084

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post




    I looked for more info on this slim lady but came up with only the pic you posted here.
    So many Atkin & Co designs. They seem to get cycled through the website. It must have been on the site at one time but has been removed.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    LPBC, SC USA
    Posts
    1,576

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Still quite like mine....David Payne original round-bilged lines that I changed over to hard-chined stitch and glue so I could build her.

    She a pretty one.

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    There are plans for one in Ed Monk's book "How to Build Wooden Boats' which is easily available
    Thanks for that. I'll look into picking up a copy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lathrop View Post
    Quite a few Bluejackets from 24' to 28' are cruising. This one completed "The Great Loop" Circumnavigating the waters of the US East coast. Building blog - http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluejacket28/ , Great Loop blog - https://www.facebook.com/vesseldede
    Great boats Tom. I follow them on flickr. I don't have facebook. I may eventually get an account again.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Mark V 20

    I forgot all about Mark's smaller boat.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    So many Atkin & Co designs. They seem to get cycled through the website. It must have been on the site at one time but has been removed.
    It's sad that so much goes through a forum and still ends up lost.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,893

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Regarding the Atkin design, an email to Pat Atkin might turn up more info. Her contact info is on the website. http://www.atkinboatplans.com

    Edit: It looks like that boat was part of Motor Boating Magazine's Ideal Series of Books, volume 8.

    http://www.boat-links.com/Ideal/VIII.html

    There is a writeup of it in the Dec 1924 issue of Motor Boating, which is available on Google Books

    https://books.google.com/books?id=10...page&q&f=false
    Last edited by cstevens; 07-22-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,893

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Also this thread might turn up some other interesting boats...

    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...here-around-20
    - Chris

    Life is short. Go boating now!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    LPBC, SC USA
    Posts
    1,576

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Regarding the Atkin design, an email to Pat Atkin might turn up more info. Her contact info is on the website. http://www.atkinboatplans.com

    Edit: It looks like that boat was part of Motor Boating Magazine's Ideal Series of Books, volume 8.

    http://www.boat-links.com/Ideal/VIII.html

    There is a writeup of it in the Dec 1924 issue of Motor Boating, which is available on Google Books

    https://books.google.com/books?id=10...page&q&f=false
    That's where I found the pic posted earlier in this thread.

    Thanks. I didn't know google had those.


    Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Also this thread might turn up some other interesting boats...

    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...here-around-20
    Thanks. I never found that thread in my search.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    Jim D you posted this one a few years ago. Looks like it might meet the OP's interest:

    Can't seem to find this on Atkin website, or any where else...any thoughts?

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, Virginia - USA
    Posts
    2,202

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    A favorite of mine.
    elcarujo2.jpg
    "Blueprints" can be had on Etsy or someplace similar - I don't remember, sorry. They print the in various sizes for display.
    Plans are from the Motor Boating magazine, as noted above, which were reproduced in their 1938 book.
    Last edited by DGentry; 04-09-2021 at 08:03 AM.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    12,172

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    Googling "Bluejacket" the other day a WBF thread from 2015 came up. I'm still just as keen on Lathrop's Bluejacket 24 as I was then. If anyone ever sees one for sale, give me a shout. I like the increased speed using only a Yamaha 50hp outboard and the lighter displacement (trailer GVW) compared to my Albin 25.

    Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Tom Lathrop's Bluejacket is a nice modern interpretation of the theme as well. I think at least one build has been documented here: http://bluejacketboats.com/

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    David Payne has a couple of nice designs along these lines.
    https://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index....8de05ea013d6a9

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    66,084

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    My sister owns one like the op ed pic.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    834

    Default Re: 20's 30's raised deck motor cruiser designs/plans

    22521601-0ED9-412F-9384-9767F04FF988.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Googling "Bluejacket" the other day a WBF thread from 2015 came up. I'm still just as keen on Lathrop's Bluejacket 24 as I was then. If anyone ever sees one for sale, give me a shout. I like the increased speed using only a Yamaha 50hp outboard and the lighter displacement (trailer GVW) compared to my Albin 25.
    Just starting our fifth season with her. Great boat, but we are aging.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •