Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: building progress

Default Re: building progress

IMG_1627.jpg
    brief update...not much getting done as Im still managing the care of my elderly parents and getting them sorted. but geez, it so really good to spend a day in the shed. anyhow, here I am today with my bowsprit blank ready to be shaped. its 5" square. im happy with the epoxy glue seams but will give a small cut off section a 'test' with hammer and chisel when I know my exact measurements and can cut off the excess.
    im currently cutting in the scuppers. port side done. starboard tomorrow.
    my new disc/belt sander still in box on the floor waiting to be assembled. I still haven't even set up the new bench saw yet either...
    Last edited by Bernadette; 05-03-2021 at 04:40 AM.

IMG_1634.jpg
    husband Andrew being cheeky...he was with me today (not to do boat work, but rather to mow my parent's block). today was a public holiday (labour day or some such obscure event). I asked him to take a photo..this is what I get!!!

IMG_1636.jpg

not boats...obviously...but dairy cattle! I enjoy this mob so much I detour on my way home to stop and say hello. they aren't so friendly, just mostly curious and take a bit of coaxing to get them to come to the fence line. the owner says they're heifers but to my untrained eye they look like bulls to me. anyhow, they are nice animals. makes me really think about becoming fully vegetarian. I don't eat much meat anyhow. least not beef steak etc or drink cows milk.

when I get home Ruby the cat love to smell my hands after patting this lot.

IMG_1391.jpg
    Last edited by Bernadette; 05-03-2021 at 05:36 AM.

Great! Thanks.

well I continue onwards with the boat...
    just getting through the fist stages of bowsprit shaping
    got extra length both ends to be sawn off. tenon on inboard end and slight change in taper at outward end just ahead of cranse iron to be shaped.
    stick measures about 60 "+/- 3 " from stem head forward
    it was originally 5" square but I figured it didnt need to be so beefy so I cut it down to 4 1/2" square. at 4 1/2" it will fit nicely against the mooring bit without any taper needed.

IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg
    Last edited by Bernadette; 05-13-2021 at 04:32 AM.

Rockland Maine USA and Woodbridge, Suffolk, England

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
    IMG_1636.jpg

not boats...obviously...but dairy cattle! I enjoy this mob so much I detour on my way home to stop and say hello. they aren't so friendly, just mostly curious and take a bit of coaxing to get them to come to the fence line. the owner says they're heifers but to my untrained eye they look like bulls to me. anyhow, they are nice animals. makes me really think about becoming fully vegetarian. I don't eat much meat anyhow. least not beef steak etc or drink cows milk.

when I get home Ruby the cat love to smell my hands after patting this lot.

IMG_1391.jpg
    Lovely. I've been Vegan for over 40 years now. Couldn't even think about eating an animal!! Or it's mammary secretions..... Cheers -- George
    To be truly free to live, one must be free to think and speak.

A C Grayling

IMG_1681.jpg
    bowsprit all done. had a bit of break out across one lamination, but all up nice timber to work by hand or sandpaper. just have to cut the fwd end and shape, make up my cranse iron and gammon band pattern and cut out the tenon.

IMG_1682.jpg
    next best thing to sliced bread...my new belt and disc sander.

Right back into it Bernadette. Awesome. Let's let that other thread drop into history. We'll wait to see her completed when you have the time to get around to her.
    Cheers,
    Daniel
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Right back into it Bernadette. Awesome. Let's let that other thread drop into history. We'll wait to see her completed when you have the time to get around to her.
    Cheers,
    Daniel
    thanks Daniel.
    ive closed off the 'other' thread. however there is no closing off the issues my parents face. its ongoing and seems almost ludicrous with how they dont seem to be able to clear a path for their future. they face obstacles every day it seems.
    anyhow, ive hit a brick wall this week and had to take time off from literally everything.

The cheeky Andrew pic is amusing. Will try to remember that idea next time someone asks me to take their photo.