Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81718

Thread: More Hartley

Default Re: More Hartley

Coming along very nicely.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Thanks for the info Bbg! I think that I'll make a mast step out of...wood and then go from there. Not sure how I feel about drilling a hole in the mast, so maybe I won't. There sure are a lot of different yet similar mast designs out there. Now I need to figure out how to rig/find/conjure up a gooseneck fitting...

Gary, thanks for the kind words. More than anything else has lately, the overall effect of getting that paint on it (even if it was just primer) is huge! Every time I look at it in the garage or even just the photos, I'm saying WOW to myself.
    “Retiring feels like death of self, but I'm looking forward to the rebirth - The opportunity to re-imagine my purpose.”

Michael Bennett

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Good decision to cut back on the varnish.
    Almost there!
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Good decision to cut back on the varnish.
    Absolutely right about that! Onward!

So I've started to paint the topside. Using Wet Edge for vertical and "covered" surfaces and Total Tread for the horizontal surfaces, both are TotalBoat products. Haven't gotten to the Total Tread yet.

IMG_5778.jpg

Will be masking all edges to leave a topside border around the non-skid stuff. Both are the same color.

IMG_5779.jpg

I'm hoping that two coats will do the job. The photo above was taken right after the second coat. May need to come back and detail some areas before I start masking for the non-skid. This stuff really needs their own thinning product or xylene for clean up. Cleaning the primer with mineral spirits was a complete disaster. I knew that I needed to be applying this thin. Used a 3/16" foam cover roller and thought that I was staying within limits, but some of the areas where I brushed took a couple of days to cure. I thinned the mix by about 10% since it was 90 degrees (F) out.

One of the things that I tried to do on this project was to buy my all my wood at one time. I did that about 2 moves ago when we were in Redondo Beach. Found a HUGE box store that actually knew how to pronounce Clear Vertical Grain Doug Fir and bought all my lumber and the ply there. Carted it from SoCal to Charlotte NC and then down here. This is what I've got left.

IMG_5776.jpg

Some of the white oak in the foreground is from a friend who gets his wood from pallets and gave me some. I've been doing a lot of laminating with the remaining wood and still have a boom to build so I might end up a little light on the boards. Or I might just get into a lot of scarfing! We'll see. Whatever works out, I'm glad there is not a single piece of junk wood wood anywhere in this boat, and am proud of how close my original purchase was to the actual total used. Even more glad that I found Ganahl Lumber. I don't work for them, nor am I paid for this statement.

I do know another Floridian who practices/enjoys this art, but are there any others who work up a material estimate and go with it? Or does the majority just go get it when they need it? I'm curious, let me know!

But I also know that I've got a lot of ply scraps that won't make it into this boat. Hmmm...

More later.

Thanks,

Eric
    “Retiring feels like death of self, but I'm looking forward to the rebirth - The opportunity to re-imagine my purpose.”

Michael Bennett

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I have mostly bought as I needed.
    The exception is where I need to work large amounts first, like a million strips for a strip build.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I have mostly bought as I needed.
    You know Trev, with lumber prices the way they are, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't do now what I did back then.

Michael Bennett

Greetings,

Hope all are safe, well and in the right spot for the time being. I think that I'd like to be a little further along in the boat, but some progress is being made.

Continued working on the rudder that was started back in CA I think. But I've got some pintles and gudgeons so I decided to start back on it. I had drilled oversize holes and filled them with thickened epoxy, but hadn't drilled and assembled them to date. That's what I started out with. Interesting clamping to get it together and in the right spot.

IMG_5806.jpg

No problems.

IMG_5805.jpg

I dry fitted them together, cut the pivot boat to the right length, sealed them with all with epoxy, light sanding and then glued the cheeks and spacer together with thickened epoxy. Set them all back by the wall where they'll wait till I'm ready to do some metalwork. Oh boy.

Anyway the majority of the work done lately has been primering the topside, painting the horizontal pieces and putting down non-skid on the places where required. Using some techniques from a fellow forumite down in South Florida, I decided to put a couple coats of topside paint adjacent to where I was using the non-skid, tape over them with an 18 mm masking tape and hopefully get a somewhat classy finish. In spite of the nails, screws, bumps and gash's...

IMG_5813.jpg

And that was the rest of the past couple of days, with one coat a day, 16 hours dry/cure between them. Today I got finished with the last coat of non-skid. yahoo! Now I can wait for a bit before i remove the masking tape and see what I've got left to do. Boring photo of paint, masking and oopsies doesn't do too much for me, so I'll spare you.

Some folks may have detected my angst regarding adapting a 20' aluminum mast to the Hartley. Mostly trying to figure out what kind of boat the mast came from so I could get the right parts, like the mast step and gooseneck fitting. So I've been all over the internet (came within a kilometer of it at one point in time) until I was able to find some old mast production drawings, hand drawn. Compared them to my mast and found a gooseneck that looked like it would fit. With no better options visible to me I sent off $8 plus shipping and today it came.

IMG_5815.jpg

This is a gooseneck for the 14'/16' Hobie Cat. So this seems to be a mast for the 14' Hobie. I am a super happy guy now. I think my questions about how to step and rig this mast have been answered. To a certain degree anyway.

So I've got that going for me.

Which...well you know the rest.

More later.

Thanks,

Eric

Michael Bennett

Greetings!

Well the topside paint in done, the non-skid paint is finished and I've got very little left to do to get out on the water. Other than rigging the mast, building a boom, finding some sails, detail painting in the cockpit, rigging the running lines, cut and install the windows, painting and installing the rudder, repainting the hull above and below the waterline...

Anyway.

IMG_5823.jpg

IMG_5824.jpg

No doubt that it's a 20/20 paint job, but it's my 20/20 paint job!

More later.

Thanks,

Eric

Michael Bennett

That's one good looking 20/20 paint job! I really like the color combination with the brightwork!

Hello Eric,

WOW!

It's great to see you going gangbusters on your beautiful build. We're fans of using "leftovers" by scarfing, laminating and repurposing in lieu of buying new - so we salute and commend your efforts.

The hull and deck work is outstanding as is your color scheme; a color combo we believe to be "comforting" and pleasing. . . as sailing should be!

So here is the curiosity question we've been asking forum posters this week. . . what's her name?

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.
    "Ships are the nearest thing to dreams that hands have ever made." Robert N. Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    That's one good looking 20/20 paint job! I really like the color combination with the brightwork!
    Thanks for the compliment Hugh! I'm told that the brightwork will be a PIA, but we'll see. The colors may be a bit close to duck colors, but I won't let that bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapiteinterzee View Post
    Hello Eric,

WOW!

It's great to see you going gangbusters on your beautiful build. We're fans of using "leftovers" by scarfing, laminating and repurposing in lieu of buying new - so we salute and commend your efforts.

The hull and deck work is outstanding as is your color scheme; a color combo we believe to be "comforting" and pleasing. . . as sailing should be!

So here is the curiosity question we've been asking forum posters this week. . . what's her name?

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.
    I certainly appreciate your kind words Joe!

With regard to naming her, I may or may not have a name for her. It needs to fit her style, composition and owner's proclivities. My thought is to let her remain at "the boat" until we get to splash her.

But then again I may choose to change my mind on that matter.

More later.

Thanks again!

Eric

Michael Bennett