Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10192021 LastLast

Thread: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VIDEO)

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

The boat CAN be moved now, but the more structures he gets on to her the less she will move, during the move. Bulkheads, full planking and deck will stop her wracking and hogging quite a bit. It's amazing how much a trad boat twists at sea if you only take one bulkhead out.

Default Re: One insane englishman trying to rebuild the 1910 gaff cutter Tally Ho, in WA. (VI

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    Just watched Leo's last vid. Hooray for Rosie! May she prosper into a full fledged crazy boat person.

PT will welcome Leo with open arms and tremendous support of all kinds. Tally Ho is about half done right now with about 90 percent left to go. PT is the best spot to finish her off in proper style.

I'll be doing some PT cruising once she's there just to get a proper selfie.
    .... but that last 10% takes 90% of the time.........

Leo just posted this: First shutter plank in.
    -Dave

The boat is looking so good!

Worst thing about PT will be all the looky-loos coming by and wasting time. He is famous at this point....

All that caulking though! I admit they will get in a great rthymn but 56 seams of 48 ft. That's about a half a mile! I did about 60ft once!

Would someone please educate this confused old man?
    I always thought that the shutter plank was the last plank, or 'whiskey' plank to go on a boat.
    In this case, I see they are the last planks to go in the topsides and there are still several planks to go down below.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

A shutter is a plank that fits between planks on both its top and bottom edges.

Pelirrojo

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I always thought that the shutter plank was the last plank, or 'whiskey' plank to go on a boat.
    In this case, I see they are the last planks to go in the topsides and there are still several planks to go down below.

They fit A shutter plank, but not THE shutter plank. Whiskey plank is the last one, whether its a shutter or not.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Quote Originally Posted by Pelirrojo View Post
    A shutter is a plank that fits between planks on both its top and bottom edges.

Pelirrojo
    I learn something new every day!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Geeze, that’s a gorgeous piece of work!
    Proud but humble member of the LPBC

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Most boats, most are planked up from the garboard and down from the sheer, with only one shutter a side. the last one hung would be the whiskey plank. The local yard would spile the shutter a tad tight and drive it to place with a sledge, thereby tightening up any gappy seams.

However, some builders plank put and shut, by hanging every alternative plank and then spiling shutters to fill the gaps. I think that allows wet timber to be hung without delaying the build whist it dries out some.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

That is the sexiest planking job , could look at all day.

does anyone know if Leo does t-shirts? I had a look on sampsonboatco, no luck

No, he doesn't do any merchandising. Its been talked about, and he more or less said that he doesn't want to deal with it. Patreon and YouTube are covering his bills just fine.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Iím glad he worked it out. I wrote him a short note right after it all went down suggesting he brace the boat for transport and find a new home in a proper boat yard where it can launched. Why stay where your not wanted?
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Going to be expensive. He'll need to buy many tools, rent a house, rent housing for his helpers, rent a space for the boat which will cost more than the house multiplied by 2 more years or whatever. That's a lot of overhead.

Don't forget time lost in the commute. Building and living in the same location is so nice, from things like meals to security. Our last boat we lived about 10 min away and it was still noticed !

Cheers,
    Mark

I get the ease of where he is working now, and it looks like the county is giving him more time, hopefully a good bit of it that’s great.

As to commutes, I wonder how much time has been spent driving to PT for bronze, meeting with his future partners, etc. There is something to be said for being were the action is. Considering he is coming into an intensive phase of buildout and systems installed, procured, and installed. I bet the PT community would come up with some interesting help as to housing. And Pete has a shop there already.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

I think the basis for the complaint is ridiculous. I doubt he has violated any zoning whatsoever. I believe he is more wanted there than unwanted, but the squeaky wheel get the grease. Too bad all around. Itís a dream situation where he is.
    Tom

Don't know how many of you follow Leo in Instagram but he posted yesterday that the whisky plank will be live streamed today (3/25/21)
    I figured a good number of you would like to join and would be bummed if you missed it.

So here are the details!

He posted
    "Join us for a drink! Whisky plank live stream Thurs, March 25th @ 1900 UTC/ 1200 PDT/ 1500 EDT/ 1900 GMT
    Watch from Sampson Boat Co YOUTUBE CHANNEL"

Here is the link to his channel but I am sure most of you know where that is already! haha

Sampson Boat Co - YouTube

See ya then and there!
    ACORN TO ARABELLA
    For additional info on this project:

www.acorntoarabella.com
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi...WB1xCp6uuUo0VA

By the end of his broadcast there were 15 000 people watching. Seems like he's got quite the support network to help him out. They paid for his bronze bling after all I suppose.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I cannot seem to find a link to the whiskey plank video. Any help?

I wonder how many comments flew by in that video? They were coming in like crazy the whole time.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Tears were running down my face during this one.

I really liked that bit where they juxtapose Leo looking around the boat just after he acquired it with where he is today. A good journey that's not half over. I'm seriously hooked.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    I really liked that bit where they juxtapose Leo looking around the boat just after he acquired it with where he is today. A good journey that's not half over. I'm seriously hooked.
    Damn, you beat me to it as I was going to say the same thing... been watching since Episode 1.

You've come a long way Leo, now comes the fun/hard part, depending on how you look at it. I'm guessing fun. Cheers to you and Tally Ho.
    spending most of my time on the water, in winter it just takes a different form

I was more than impressed that he let the crew fit the whisky plank. Anyone else me included, would have claimed, at least part of the glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    I was more than impressed that he let the crew fit the whisky plank. Anyone else me included, would have claimed, at least part of the glory.
    Well, he finished it by sawing off the transom end....

I am impressed in the group shot how young everyone is. Encouraging in many ways, not just for boat building.

Bonus time lapse video of the planking.

Fairing the hull.

https://youtu.be/tZ0xVJi1T2c

Good video! Hard Hard work. Probably pass around the Tylenol at quitting time.

This from Leo......sounding very positive

ďDear Patrons,
    This is just a short note to update you with some of the latest goings on, and to thank you for your support.
    Firstly, I want to address the issues with the county - in terms of the documentation on YouTube, the whole ordeal seemed to flare up and disappear quite quickly, but in reality it was a long and arduous process. By the time I released the first video about the county issues, I had been feeling increasingly stressed about it for years and felt like I was at breaking point. After the video was released, the public reaction was stronger than I could have imagined, and it was thanks to the support and advice of you guys that I realised two things;
    - Moving to Port Townsend could actually be possible, and could even be a great thing for the project.
    - I have enough support to carry some serious weight in negotiations, meaning I could dictate my own terms for moving.

However, the video also bought a little too much attention - the regional newspaper published my address, we had a lot of people turning up at the gate, and amongst all the supportive comments and messages there were also some nasty threats made towards my neighbours and the county. I even received threatening messages towards myself. Of course this affected my landlords too, and I felt the responsible thing to do was to come to the quickest resolution possible and put all this behind us. Of course it was very tempting to fight back harder, and my lawyers felt we had a very good case, but throughout this process I had realised that actually moving the project one step closer to the water really WOULD be the best thing.

So, through a lot of work and negotiating we dictated our terms for moving the project and managed to rush to an agreement just the day before the next video was due! So in that video I was able to calm everyone down, move things forward, and get the focus back onto the boatbuilding. The county then cancelled the hearing, and the new agreement gives me more than enough time and freedom to work on my own terms to move the boat. Again, Iím sure this is thanks to the support shown by this community, and of course the legal help that I was able to get.

So the current plan is focussed around moving the boat to Port Townsend and setting up a productive workshop there. Before moving the boat, I would like her to be caulked, painted, and have her ballast keel attached. The caulking actually adds so much strength that the deck and bulkheads will be unnecessary for the move (some bracing may be put in place). Painting is essential to prevent excessive shrinkage in the planking.

I have arranged to rent a really great workshop in the Port of Port Townsend and I am renting a house nearby to live in and host any friends who come to work on the boat with me. Of course being in Port Townsend and setting up a workshop will be a lot more expensive than being in my current location, but the advantages are huge. As we get into fitting-out and on-board systems, being close to marine trades and stores will be invaluable, and we will not be limited in the hours we can work or the amount of people we can have working on the boat. There is a huge pool of useful experience and knowledge in the port, and I will be able to introduce more characters to the videos and also document some of the other exciting projects going on there. We will also be close to the sail-loft where the sails will be built, close to the foundry, and so on.

For those of you worried about Pancho - I canít make any promises, but I am hopeful that she will be spending at least some time with us in the new location!

The next few months are going to be challenging but extremely exciting, and Iím feeling more positive and animated about the project than I have for a long time. This location has been amazing for the project so far, but of course it has itís disadvantages too, and Iíve been here a while - I think a change will be really healthy and re-energising! Of course moving is a risk - but there is no reward without risk, and moving the project gives me the same fear and excitement which has accompanied all the best decisions of my life.

Thank you guys SO MUCH for making all of this possible. Having your support has made this decision (and the work behind it) feasible, as well as making this whole project feasible! I feel incredibly lucky to have such an amazing community behind me. THANK YOU.Ē

View on Patreon

"Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

The real noisy vid.

Skipped a beat.
    Episode 95, fairing.