Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: How much does a free boat cost?

Default Re: How much does a free boat cost?

It was too windy for racing today, so I came home and started shaping the centre cases to fit the new boards.
    They are sized to take the original boards, so there was plenty of hole to fill.

I needed to set the board rake to the optimum angle, as measured from one of the club members boats. The trailing edge needs to be as far back as possible to get pointing upwind and a light helm.
    I sanded back the paint, and taped the board so it wouldn't stick to the epoxy and 410 goop.
    I also checked the measurement from the back of the case to the transom which is class controlled. I ended up in the middle of the range.
    The piece of foam is to limit how much filler goes in front of the board.
    5 minutes after filling this is how it looked! That 410 microlight is really saggy.

The trusty packing tape came to the rescue again!

I'll wait for the epoxy to set and get the board out before doing the second one. There is no point "glueing" both in if I can't get this one out easily!

The board came out easily this morning so I proceeded with the second one.
    The photo is looking down the centrecase.

The droopy nature of the 410 powder had an upside in that it self levelled inside the case.
    The second one is curing now.
    I'll give them a quick sand in a couple of days and get another coat of filler in there to get it fair.
    The holes will probably also need a quick opening out to allow the boards to slide easily.

I am also making new guides for the top of the boards from some 4mm ply.
    There have been a few variations on the board control lines, so I took the opportunity to cover all the extra screw holes up with bigger than strictly necessary covers.
    I traced the shape onto them and cut the holes with my Triton saw bench with a jigsaw poking out of a spare deck.

[IMG]

I'd not used the table this way before but it was easy to control, so I was able to follow the line rather than allowing filing/sanding room.

I sanded the epoxy that was moulded around the boards back to fair.
    It was at this point I realised that the 410 is probably too soft to handle the bumps and scrapes of being on the keel.
    I was correct in this point, as when I unloaded at the yacht club on Sunday part of the fairing broke away.
    I'm still thinking about how to proceed at this point.
    I could;
    remove the 410 filler and repeat the process using either 417 low density powder which is strongebr /> make an insert out of carbon
    make an insert out of wood

Sunday morning I mounted the top guides onto the deck and adjusted them so the boards slid nicely.
    I then went to Muritai yacht club on the other side of the harbour, and got ready for an Anzac Day regatta.

[IMG]
    The flag on the club indicates what happened next.
    For another week in a row, the wind got up to around 25, gusting up to 40 knots.
    So, pack up and go home, boo! That is it for the season.
    I went to the marina and did some work on building a quarter berth for Haumuri instead.
    Wedged up under the deck beats sailing any day?