Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51415

Thread: Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay

Default Re: Tammie Norrie comes to Coos Bay

Have had virtually no boat time lately, life getting in the way, and all. Covid came to visit my store. I had 4 test positive, and another 4 that worked in close contact quarantine for 14 days. Missing 8 people out of a crew of 25 will kill you, especially when three of them are department heads. Getting people back this week, hopefully back to normal.

But on your birthday you can justify a little time in the shop, right?
    My wife bought me a pneumatic random orbital sander. So I fired that up to try it out. I wasn't quite sure how aggressive it would be, but like the fact that it has a 6" disc, as well as the dust collection, which is supposed to be somewhat more efficient in the pneumatic version. Time will tell.
    So I spent a little time cleaning up the first of the thwarts, as well as the oar blanks. 51010699210_4e4d0cec13_c (1).jpg Which leads me to a question for all of you...When making oars, specifically the blades, how did you shape them? Just make a template that looks pleasing to the eye? Trace one you find in the marina when nobody's looking? (Kidding!) Or something else? I would love to find a pattern that I could trace as a template. Ideas?

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Nice little pressie from the missus!

A tip on pics in posts, yours seem to end up mixed in with the text but you can fix that with simple cut and paste like any word document so the text is all together and easier to follow.

As for the oars, I bought mine. I could give you measurements etc if you like

Ken - My Elfyn plans from IO included oar plans. I also have used oar plans from
    Pete Culler. I made plan and profile patterns. Have made 9-ft Culler style and 9-ft 6-in and 10-ft from the
    plans that IO supplied.

What length/style are you contemplating? You're welcome to use my patterns.

Bill

Just perused your build Ken.

That's a lovely hull you've created there. Well done.
    Tammie Norrie was a strong contender for my build before I settled on the ilur. The gunnels will look great whatever you decide but I prefer the subtlety of the mahogany and walnut.

With the oars is that cedar laminated in there?

Quote Originally Posted by BC Bill View Post
    Ken - My Elfyn plans from IO included oar plans. I also have used oar plans from
    Pete Culler. I made plan and profile patterns. Have made 9-ft Culler style and 9-ft 6-in and 10-ft from the
    plans that IO supplied.

What length/style are you contemplating? You're welcome to use my patterns.

Bill
    Mine will be 9'. If we could work it out, I'd love to use them!
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneT View Post
    Just perused your build Ken.

That's a lovely hull you've created there. Well done.
    Tammie Norrie was a strong contender for my build before I settled on the ilur. The gunnels will look great whatever you decide but I prefer the subtlety of the mahogany and walnut.

With the oars is that cedar laminated in there?
    It's actually mahogany and fir. I may have gone a bit over the top on them, and may not have had the flexibility that I have read is better(after I started the oars, of course). But I do think they will look pretty nice. And I agree about the gunnels, I've decided to go with the walnut/mahogany rails.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I'm new here. I'm planning on starting a Tammie Norrie from scratch this fall, will be my third boat build, the first 2 were/are SnG. For a while I was sold on the Penobscot's but over the past few months have landed firmly on the TN. Your build thread here is proving invaluable to me so just wanted to thank you and encourage you to keep posting, esp the foul-ups, they are definitely the most instructive. I've read the Hill and Oughtred books and have Ian Smiths videos looping in the background while finishing my current boat, a 14' low sheer skiff that should splash around June. Keep up the great work and I'll be staying closely tuned.

Jeff

This advice is a bit late given that you've got your blanks glued up, but here goes:

My Seil plans came with an oar outline, which I modified a bit. I haven't had a chance to test them yet (they were the first thing I built - the rest of the boat is years out!). However, their balance is not quite what I had been planning. I think I'll make my next set along the lines of these, which are originally attributed to Pete Culler:
    https://www.riverswest.org/uploads/1...uller_oars.pdf

For my Gentry Whtehall, I made oars to John DeLapp's design. I suspect that the mystery tropical hardwood I made them from is too stiff, but I still love them. His one-side-of-one-page set of plans and instructions is a miracle of concision. These are probably too delicate for your use.

http://www.tsca.net/puget/resources/oars/

Quote Originally Posted by VT_Jeff View Post
    Hi Ken,

I'm new here. I'm planning on starting a Tammie Norrie from scratch this fall, will be my third boat build, the first 2 were/are SnG. For a while I was sold on the Penobscot's but over the past few months have landed firmly on the TN. Your build thread here is proving invaluable to me so just wanted to thank you and encourage you to keep posting, esp the foul-ups, they are definitely the most instructive. I've read the Hill and Oughtred books and have Ian Smiths videos looping in the background while finishing my current boat, a 14' low sheer skiff that should splash around June. Keep up the great work and I'll be staying closely tuned.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. I decided when I first started that the questions I had were often solved by what people did and didn't do. That said, everybody makes mistakes, and if others can learn from what I screw up, I would be glad to help in that way. It's also somewhat comforting to realize that there is very little that can't be fixed, and this forum is an invaluable resource for that. Don't know how I could have done this without it. Stay tuned...I'm sure I haven't finished making mistakes yet!

Quote Originally Posted by pez_leon View Post
    Link does not work!

On the oar issue, for my TN I cheated and bought a set of 8 foot sitka spuce oars made by Barkley Sound Marine in Canada. The formula I found for sizing the oars came out at 8 ft 6 in but I had the choice of 8 or 9 foot. I went with the 8 foot because of price and storage, I can stand the 8 footers against the wall in the garage. I find them quite well matched to the boat. I'm a big bloke and they transfer the power of my strokes into the water quite well.

The issue of balance is mute in this case because they are so light, only 2.8Kg each. I will row for an hour and never notice the weight at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Link does not work!
    True, and I thought it was working yesterday. Anyway, all the information needed to make the DeLapp oars is right there on that one page.

Too many directions to go can be either fun or schizophrenic. I keep getting distracted by the "next thing", starting six things and finishing none. But got the centerboard case glued up, ready to assemble the bed logs and other exterior pieces, followed by the placement and drilling of the centerboard pivot pin. Also sanded the four pieces that will make up the two bottom rails. Ready to cut and install them. And planed down some black walnut in preparation for beginning to cut the block spacers between the gunnels.
    I needed to widen the clothes-pin style clamps I used for planking so that they would fit over the outer gunnel and reach the lower rail. For those of you that are class A personalities, and are thinking they look rather crude, just verifying that I am indeed not class A.

51100334668_e3e0533aa9_o.jpg51099791616_d7179f6244_c.jpg51100334828_3b5b013939_c.jpg

Ken

Hi Ken, when you glue that centreboard case into the hull please make sure you get squeeze out all the way round - I didn't and I just came back from my 5th launch of my Gannet and it has yet another leak near the case . GGGGGGGGGrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sorry to hear that Neil, that really stinks! You've done such a fine job on your build, and that has to be the ultimate in frustration. What's next? Heat gun and removal? It would be a killer to be that drastic I know. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Ken

Sometimes our lack of boat time is self-induced. I plead guilty. Although this time, as they say, it hurt so good. Had to spend time trying to figure out how to shoe-horn my new drum sander into an already tight shop. O.K., so it's a work in progress. I have two spaces; the 12' x 17' "garage", which holds the table saw, compound miter saw, clamp rack, and oh yea, the boat. The other shop space is identical in size, shown in the picture below. About the time you think it'll fit fine, you realize that either the motor of the sander infringes on the planer space, or the open-ended arm of the sander, (in the event that you need to sand a piece one half at a time and then flip it)is up against the planer and thus not accessible. I told my wife that it was a nice problem to have! Never thought I'd own a drum sander, but a nice bonus at work, plus a great deal on this "used" one made it possible. Called a friend to see if the tool store he manages had any on hand. He said, "No, but one of my customers has one with about 10 hours on it, and is up-grading to the new oscillating model. He'll sell you the $1200 sander with $100 worth of paper for $1000." I'm not real good at math, but I do know how to say
    "Done deal!"51157260009_1103e108fe_c.jpg51156710413_1e5395c095_c.jpg

NICE! I have the 16/32 version of that :0 Nice looking six-lite door against the backwall, too!

Ah yes, the ongoing dilemma of too many tools and not enough square feet. My garage is a bit like a game of tetris and every time I use the dust producing tools I wish I had a dust extraction system but I just can't fit one in!

That's a very nice pick up though!

Yes Hugh, I talked my daughter out of that door. They got it to do something art-sy with, and it was the perfect width for my 1908 home. Carted it home, decided that I should measure the height... 3" short. So the semi-quick project turned into a bit longer one. I'll need to add onto the bottom and cover with a brass/something-ish kick plate to hide the seam. And add glass. And install the window leaning behind that door. It's always the "and" that ambushes you!

Steve, love the tetris analogy! (For those of us old enough to remember what tetris is!) My tool shop friend said to make sure I used the dust collector too. Lengthens the life of the paper by not clogging it up. I am particularly happy to have this for the birdseye maple, which is almost surely prone to chipping out with a planer. The sander will handle that chore nicely.

Ken

It would appear that this is the month for new tools. Although this one is hardly new, just new to me.
    A friend knows a guy that was cleaning out some storage and ran across this gem. Since he knows about my little project, he enticed the man to make a donation to a worthy cause. '
    Stamped on the blade is the following: J&W MARSHALL WARRENTED CAST STEEL. From what little I've read, cast steel is different from cast iron, and was used up until WWI, when the process was insufficient to meet the needs of large-scale production for the war. J &W Marshall steel was apparently produced in the late 1800's. So some fun history along with the chance to enjoy it's use.

51161361303_6e1b3b3e59_c.jpg

Ken

Very cool! I have a much newer one with the cast iron frog. I think it's a Stanley.

Nice pick up Ken

I have a molding plane that belonged to my father in law and probably his father and it has a depression worn into it by their thumbs, obviously it got a great deal of use.

Spent a little time roughing out the centerboard today. Remembered why it is a good idea to make patterns before the real deal, even if it's just to remember to "tune up",(read tighten the blade)on the band saw. As well as using a bit more caution and patience rounding the corner.
    51230490388_7f99e7bd8f_c.jpg51230277511_19c0b25e54_c.jpg51230489308_bbce78ece7_c.jpg

Also looking at the floors, and wondering how you know how much "rocker" or curve is called for on the top. I would have flat on top, had I not looked for the 73rd time at the plans and seen the curve. Looks like it's pretty flat on station 5, but how about the other stations?

Ken

That's a bit of a whoops!

Take a look at plan sheets 5 and 6 shown respectively below, they give you the half profiles of the floors for each station. Don't be surprised if they don't fit perfectly on the lap joints, maybe make ply templates first to get the bottom curves right but use the drawn top curves.

DSCF1981.jpgDSCF1979.jpg

Thanks Steve, boy do I need to slow down! I couldn't imagine there wouldn't be some reference to those dimensions, but never occurred to me to turn the page. Wowser!! Not even a keen eye for the obvious! And I will definitely be making plywood templates.

Ken

Definition of Father's Day: That day when it's hard for anyone to say "No, don't do what you want to do." So got a little boat time! Sometimes tough to come by in the summer. So...

As with many new tools, there is a bit of a learning curve. The new sander proved to be no exception. There is a feature that lets you adjust the feed rate, as well as the obvious depth of cut. A little bit tricky, but as with most things just a matter of not trying to go too fast. With a drum sander, the important thing, (clearly), is to be sure that the wound sandpaper continues to lie flat, not slipping over itself to cause a high spot that will burn the wood. (DAMHIKT)Follow the sequence: Correct wrap. After the paper slips and causes it to form a high spot and burn both the paper, and thus the burn spot on the board. The fourth picture shows what I hope is the length of the thwart. This would allow me to hide the burn on the bottom of the thwart, mostly if not totally hiding the burn with the seat cleat, as well as making this the bottom side. Also got a coat of epoxy on the CB case, and spent some time scraping the squeeze-out off of the hull interior, which I have been putting off since flipping the boat. All in all a productive day!

51246290595_a4b52f61c1_c.jpg 51262300775_cb8fa4522b_c.jpg 51245435108_e8d90d4f74_c.jpg 51260528367_b95690205c_c.jpg

All too familiar, Ken! I went through that same learning curve and now feed a sacrificial piece or two every time I change my paper prior to running my actual workpiece.

Hi Ken
    This link may help.https://www.woodmagazine.com/tool-re...-a-drum-sander

We have a similar sander here at work with the oscillating mode (which is not used that much for reasons that are not positive).
    However in non oscillating mode it is a great sander.
    In my experience a slow feed combined with to deep a cut seems to be the main reason for burn marks. There are however other variables as explained in the link.
    A higher number of shallow passes is a safe bet especially if the work piece is wide plus passing through a test piece first is peace of mind.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Mike.