Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456 LastLast

Thread: Building a Nutshell Pram - 9' 6"

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Default Re: Building a Nutshell Pram - 9' 6"

Got some advice on paint.
    here's the two pack primer.

IMG_4486.jpg

3 to 1 mix, i used a syringe to measure out the amounts. The system is designed so you just dump the hardener into the larger tin with the paint. then you 8 hours shelf life.....

I have so 2 part poly from my last build. This drys so hard - for the interior.
    Its not quite white, slightly creamy, but not enough to notice.

IMG_4487.jpg

I have a single pack blue poly for the outside. Its the same brand as the primer, made for each other.

Emptied out the boat, pulled off the thwarts and primed.

IMG_4488.jpg

Also primed and used the 2 pack poly for the daggerboard, rudder and DB case fill/blank....... (what is that called?).

I love the look of the HARD poly finish. Applied with mohair rollers, not spray finish but fine for me.

IMG_4491.jpg
    arrrgh - upside down!

IMG_4489.jpg
    Last edited by gypsie; 04-05-2018 at 01:22 AM.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Now turning my mind to the little electric motor and battery.
    I want the battery to be housed in a box, near the middle of the boat.

getting power from there aft is a trick. Me thinks it will inevitably be a tad unsightly, but i think i've found a way of keeping it to a minimum.

Couple of SS bolts in the aft thwart, port side. Must remember port = red wire. (There's more red wire port left in the barrell?)
    IMG_4494.jpg

A couple of SS bolts (M6) near the center of the center thwart.

IMG_4495.jpg

I've run the cable under the thwarts, and through a 20mm conduit pipe (sorry no pics) to the aft position.
    I'll prime and paint the conduit the same colour as the interior and fix it so it conforms to the shape of the boat. I ordered some 20mm saddle brackets that I'll use to fasten the conduit to the thwart cleats.

Then the battery box, needs a bit of rocker to sit snug in that spot.

IMG_4496.jpg

Using some 12mm ply for the base and 6mm for the sides and top.

IMG_4497.jpg

and so far;

IMG_4498.jpg

I'll epoxy that all up and make it water tight. Paint it the same as the interior so it should sit comfortably with the eye.
    I'll build in a 50amp trip switch for the motor, and the solar charge controller. With some descrete wires aft to the center thwart connections it should be pretty unobtrusive. for solar charging i'll put a couple of M6 bolts out the front of the box to which i can quickly attach the little panel i have. Might have a think about a little post to mount that on maybe - just concerned someone uses it as a handhold while boarding the big boat....
    Last edited by gypsie; 04-05-2018 at 01:19 AM.

Looking good

The box sits there nicely.

IMG_4502.jpg

But when i put the lid on it'll be about 10mm proud of the center thwart - and i think it'll be nicer if its level.
    So I trimmed 10mm off the top edge all the way round. I gave the box 25mm above the higest point on the battery - so I can afford it.

IMG_4503.jpg

Front shot with box in place and battery.

IMG_4504.jpg

Battery box construction finished. Outside bit anyway.
    IMG_4597.jpg

Gave it a couple of coats of epoxy and filleted the inside edges. Gave the outside of the base a layer of thicked epoxy, i don't want water seeping into it - it just makes everything mouldy and dirty. Put a layer of glass on the bottom for abrasion - probably unnecessary. Also a pad of glass under where the battery will land, its a heavy object and will eventually squish/crack the base if not protected.

IMG_4598.jpg

Added a bit of structure to the inside to take keep it organsied. Space for the battery to land and place to sit a shelf to hold the solar regulator.

IMG_4599.jpg

Then started, late at night (with a few beers inside) to think through where/how i would wire it up.
    Before i knew it i'd turned one end into swiss cheese. There were eventually another four holes i think into that face. i drilled holes where i couldn't run cables, under the area covered by the lid, behind the battery. when i realsied what i'd been doing i made ready to fix, but realised i'd probably gone too far for the night and better to leave it till a morning sometime. I walked away.
    The swiss cheese repair has left one end less than smooth.

IMG_4601.jpg

The plan is to have two cables, positive and return, out that face to connect to the cables under the thwart. Also, the rectangle drawn, is a waterproof 50amp trip switch to .... trip when necessary, and to turn the motor supply on and off easily. The electric motor has got LED's that will trickle away charge for no reason when left overnight or something. saves me having to disconnect cables each time.

Coat of undercoat ready for painting with the 2 pack poly i used on the inside.

IMG_4602.jpg

set up my ducting to bring the power aft to the motor from the center thwart. I really don't like this problem, the interior of the boat is beautifully simple. There are no hidden shelves or lines to hide this intrusion. But i think my solution is fairly sympathetic though possibly prone to being damaged......

Attachment 15221

It is held in place with two SS saddle brackets at each end - 20mm diameter. the brackets force the conduit onto the thwart cleats and so it conforms to the curve of the topsides.

Attachment 15222

That'll be painted the same as the inside of the boat with the white poly, so it will be less ugly than that - still a bit ugly no doubt.

Box painted up and ready for wiring.
    I have thought a little bit more about how i connect up - here I've used a couple of solar panel connectors. they are water proof and should prevent cross wiring at what will be an awkward spot. No doubt there will be more experimenting done in the months to come. The balance will be between utility and aesthetics. My 12 and 8 year olds will need to be able to manage this easily, but I'd like to to not look like the inside of a switch board.
    50amp switch attached.
    Swiss cheese face - the lighting is doing a wonderful job of showing up my warts and all. Its not that rough in real life.

Attachment 15224

The wiring behind that face.

Attachment 15225

Solar panel controller fitted. the screw forward are set screws that stick our the forward end. They have wingnuts that should allow for a solar panel to be connected very easily. Red Port Left!!

Attachment 15226

Flipped the boat to paint the underside.
    Noticed earlier - extreme abrasion on the aft end of the skeg.
    Attachment 15227

Where we launch in Callala bay is somewhat pebbly and shells - so abrasion also on the outside edges left and right of the dagger board.

Attachment 15228

Considering the boat was only launched and brought ashore a couple of times, this is a lot of wear to be considered for future use. The use will not change so I thought it best to account for it.

First off, sand it back. Out with the belt sander and have at it.
    Nothing says "You've done a crap job" like watching your work fall away with little effort! Glad to have the chance to redo!

Attachment 15229

Decided to add a couple of shoes (?) to the outer edges alongside the dagger board slot to help manage the wear in this area.
    Got a piece about 30cm long - stringy bark i think.

Attachment 15230

Traced the curve of the bottom onto it, took it off with the bandsaw and smoothed out with a sander.
    Then ran it through the table saw for two identical halves.

IMG_4612.jpg

Glued down and i epoxied on glass to the whole length of the keel and the two shoes (name anyone?).

IMG_4613.jpg

The pieces are 30cm long and start about 10cm from the aft edge of the dagger board slot - which is about 25cm.
    The forward egde as installed is maybe a few millimeters higher than the keel piece. so i expect a bit of wear there for sure.

Maybe bilge runners?

And if you make appropriate cut outs, they can be pretty good handrails if the boat is turtled, either in the water or on deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    And if you make appropriate cut outs, they can be pretty good handrails if the boat is turtled, either in the water or on deck.
    That's a neat idea.
    Too late now, but definitely neat idea.

On the subject of capsizing - I've been trying to find images or reports on a nutshell righting. It looks like it could fill to the gunwhales - which is a problem when sans rescue boat. If it fills over the CB casing how do you empty it?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    Maybe bilge runners?
    Its got my vote!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    That's a neat idea.
    Too late now, but definitely neat idea.

On the subject of capsizing - I've been trying to find images or reports on a nutshell righting. It looks like it could fill to the gunwhales - which is a problem when sans rescue boat. If it fills over the CB casing how do you empty it?
    You don't.

Maybe posted already but here's an article about a guy's cruise along the Maine Coast in a Nutshell:https://view.publitas.com/points-eas...018/page/48-49
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Maybe posted already but here's an article about a guy's cruise along the Maine Coast in a Nutshell:https://view.publitas.com/points-eas...018/page/48-49
    No I hadn't seen that, that's a cute story. well written, i enjoyed it - thanks.
    It seems capsize is unlikely i suppose, given the pressures he put his boat under.
    Jervis Bay can pick up hard in the summers from the NE, really blow up out of nowhere. So when it comes to the sail i think i'll make a reef possible, maybe one third of the sail.

Even anecdotally, when shipping on and off the big boat, you can feel how stable it is.

Looking at some kind of trolley to get her to and from the water. No dragging her across the pebbly beach like the tinny.
    I found a red wheelbarrow wheel in the shed - an unused one my boys found in a rubbish pile. sourced the same one again but in blue on ebay. Pity i couldn't find the same colour. I happen to have a piece of 25mm tube that seems extactly the right width and fits snuggly into the bearings. The gods were smiling.

The blue is about the same colour as the boat - matching trailer, is that a bit naff or what! I'll have to get blue t-shirts and blue PDF's...

Got the hull undercoated. (again)

IMG_4640.jpg

That undercoat is like the proverbial on a blanket.

Then a couple of coats of Blue applied with mohair rollers.

IMG_4641.jpg

Now, I have a degree in painting - fine Art that is. So i can't make head nor tail of why i am SOOOO crap at it.
    The finish is like bloody sandpaper. I tried to tip it off with a brush but it just seemed to scratch it.

I've let it dry, gave the whole thing a light sanding to take off the roughness and applied the last coat a bit thicker and with a brush.
    Still not a great finish, but fine for what i need.

Started to cut out parts for a hand trolley.
    Haven't quite figured out how i'll attach the wheels without it looking extremely Home Made. Anyone got links to a trolley thread? Maybe i'll start one.

I suggest high density foam rollers and adding a bit more thinners. Rollers must be compatible with the paint or they'll go soft.

Rick

Thanks Rick,
    The paint shop recommended brushing first. I thought i knew better....
    Then they recommended mohair.

Its a one pack, but it is polyurethane. Maybe i should have tried but i always thought Poly eats foam.
    Having thought that - i then find it washes up with turps.

Penetrol is the bees knees. Gave me an almost spray like finish with a brush, Norglass Weatherfast.

Oh, and warm up your paint tin in hot water.
    Last edited by andrewpatrol; 05-07-2018 at 12:26 AM.

Bugger - i have a half liter of Penetrol under the worktop.
    I do have enough paint for one more coat - i could just mix in some Penetrol - what ratio do you think?

Two-pack poly does eat foam. Use the wrong kind of foam and the rollers turn to goo. There are foam rollers that work well with two-pack poly though - in fact, really well! I thought you were using two-pack. I think any roller will work with single pack but yes, single pack with Penetrol is good whether you brush it or roll it. Those ordinary hi-density foam rollers you can get at any paint shop should be okay for that. I can't find any difference between Norglass' Weatherfast and ordinary enamel. Nothing wrong with it - I just don't get the poly bit.

Rick

Sorry Gyp, but i cant remember what ratio I used but knowing me is was just a capful then another til it flowed jus’ nice.

Which is what I do too.

Rick

Nearly all modern paint dries too fast. You can't keep a wet edge going, and end up painting in separate "lands" which are visibly distinct.

This is a handy property on a moist cloudy day when it's 12C out. But a big liability when its sunny and 30C.

You need slower-ers, like penetrol for oil paints, floetrol for water-based, and 333 brushing liquid (or 2333N) for some of the more exotic paints.

It gives the paint time to meld, and flow together, and smooth out he brush strokes.

I recently used some Interlux Enamel on my airplane. Superb result. No sign of brush strokes. Perfect-self-leveling. But, you have to slow it down a bit.

Dave

Thanks guys, another light sanding and one last coat.

I'm contemplating spars.

The mast is 3" diameter, according to the plans. I'll be using solid Douglas Fir.
    Is 75mm a bit big (and heavy)?

Got the hull undercoated. (again)

IMG_4640.jpg

That undercoat is like the proverbial on a blanket.

Then a couple of coats of Blue applied with mohair rollers.

IMG_4641.jpg

Now, I have a degree in painting - fine Art that is. So i can't make head nor tail of why i am SOOOO crap at it.
    The finish is like bloody sandpaper. I tried to tip it off with a brush but it just seemed to scratch it.

I've let it dry, gave the whole thing a light sanding to take off the roughness and applied the last coat a bit thicker and with a brush.
    Still not a great finish, but fine for what i need.

Started to cut out parts for a hand trolley.
    Haven't quite figured out how i'll attach the wheels without it looking extremely Home Made. Anyone got links to a trolley thread? Maybe i'll start one.
    Shoulda just made those runners a teensy bit deeper, put a hole through each and thread an axle through. Wheel. Split pin. Done.

Ours is still a bare shell. Son has lost interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ours is still a bare shell. Son has lost interest.
    I dream't up a center console, motorbike style. With battery under the seat, handlbars (or possible wheel) for steering and an electric motor.
    Small deck fore or aft to put a solar panel to trickle feed the battery.
    Flames paint job, or maybe sharks teeth.
    That might get him back into it.

Shoulda just made those runners a teensy bit deeper, put a hole through each and thread an axle through. Wheel. Split pin. Done.
    Just concerned dragging a couple of wheels through the water would effect the sailing performance somewhat.

Its a neat idea. But if i strike the wheels, then the axle stays protruding from the bottom. apart from drag, its going to snag something no?
    Would be worth trying.

If the wheels were solid, and thin, they could be lee boards....?

I'm contemplating spars.

The mast is 3" diameter, according to the plans. I'll be using solid Douglas Fir.
    Is 75mm a bit big (and heavy)?
    It does seem beefy for a little rig but the plans is the plans .... Could you slim it down a little by building it up from two or three strips (laminating)? A laminated, thinner mast ought to be a bit stronger, I would think, too but there'd be a question about the orientation of the laminates. I don't know anything about lug rigs or sprit rigs or whatever it is but there'd be plenty of others here who would. You could also consider using an old sailboard mast, cut down. It wouldn't look as nice as a wooden one but ..... it's an idea!

Rick

Just concerned dragging a couple of wheels through the water would effect the sailing performance somewhat.

Its a neat idea. But if i strike the wheels, then the axle stays protruding from the bottom. apart from drag, its going to snag something no?
    Would be worth trying.

If the wheels were solid, and thin, they could be lee boards....?
    No, I was thinking the whole axle would slide out. Just a tube of SS, as long as the boat is wide, plus the wheel width, plus an inch or two.

My Acorn Skiff mast would be about 3" at the partners, then tapered to about 1 at the top. Its unstayed and needs to support your weight hiking out in a stiff breeze with too much sail up.

Started work on some of the other bits.

Laminated up the tiller from 6 or 8 pieces of DF, with cheeks of spotted gum (I think).

And begun shaping it.

Not sure if those images got in, i can see them but I've had toruble direct from Google Pics before.