Thread: Introduction and a bit of discovery, if we may.

Default Introduction and a bit of discovery, if we may.

First things first, thank you for having me. I'm very excited to be a part of the forum. I grew up in Central Kansas on lake wilson. Both of my grandfathers were WW2 Navy veterans and continued their passion via sailing. We often had more than too many Snipes, Lightning, and other small, liteweight racing vessels around, and typically one motor boat of any variety grandpa didn't have to fight too much.

Despite sailing being the bulk of my childhood experience, as an adult I have always fancied the idea of a woodie. Not having the means for a Chris Craft or hacker or some other, well, "beyond my means without imminent divorce," I've just spent most of the last decade hanging around forums and checking out other people's crafts.

Last winter hey advert happened to pop up on Craigslist offering a "old wood boat with motor" for $2000. I sat on it for a good while before deciding to go take a look. After having a look and doing as much research as the internet had available I believe what we have is a 1959 Inland Style Master Dual Cockpit Runabout. It is boasting a 1961 Cloud White Merc400, but all documentation from previous owners registration points to 1959 for the hull itself. It has been out of the water since 1991 less a single weekend just after I bought it last year when I got it out to sit for about 6 hours while I skied on another boat.. luckily it had no leaks. That's a good start.

My deduction is unfortunately about all I have. I can find no reference of the company anywhere.. I have seen two others in similar annual ranges with similar original paint styles for sale in the past... Beyond that, I have absolutely no proof that that company or that boat ever existed.

Anyhow... Long introduction I realized but I was hoping someone pops up and has an uncle that worked there, or their dad owned it, or their brothers, sisters, best friends uncle has an old cut out for the original ad ... You know. Something.

Regardless and at any rate.. appreciate the join and I'm looking forward to breaking this down over the next few months and getting it back into lake going shape.

Attachment 83449Attachment 83456Attachment 83458Attachment 83455Attachment 83457

Default Re: Introduction and a bit of discovery, if we may.

Looking forward to following your build. If I remember correctly, the famous Ted Wells is from around there.

Hello Jayhawk,

Since I'm interested in old wooden runabouts I'd be pleased to see what you have and reading about how you proceed with it.
    I see you posted some attachments but for some reason I'm unable to 'open' them.
    I don't know if it's just me or if others can't see them also.

So, please continue!

Regards,
    Alan

Welcome aboard Jayhawk!
    I can't see or open the pics either.

Take the pic(s) and upload to your computer.

Click on the square "insert image" icon at the top of the reply box.

Select "From Computer".

Now click on "Select Files".

That will give you a box where you can find your photos on the computer.

Click on the photo you want to post. The name of the photo will appear in the box.

Click on "Upload File(s)" and wait until it is uploaded.

Now go back and do it again for the next photo, etc.

Click on "Post Quick Reply". The photo won't actually show full size until you post the reply.

Save these instructions for further use. Once you've done it a few of times it becomes intuitive.

I have found that it is worth the trouble after each posting of 3 photos to close the window then re-open it to confirm that they come thru. Sometimes they only show as "attachment #####" in which case you will want to select "edit post' and one at a time delete the photos and re-post them. Sounds complicated, but it's not, and they usually come thru the first time.

My apologies on the photos. Perhaps it's because I'm doing it from my phone. When I get home shortly I will upload what I have. Thank you for the notice!

Cool Re: Introduction and a bit of discovery, if we may.

Hopefully this does the trick?

My plans for the VERY short few months coming before I want to get it waterborne are to completely strip (most of the old laquer/poly/product is already bubbled or peeled off) - strip all the old metal edging, most of which isn't "secured" any longer by the rusty screws that were holding it...I want to recondition the entire interior - and I have some pretty terrible "woodworking" spots that have been done by the previous owner.

The good news: I am only the second owner - the 1961 Merc400 runs like a champ despite me being the first person to fire it up since 1991. I will take it into the shop (due to lack of time to do it myself) to have a good thorough cleaning and health check before I take it out but yeah. That's kind of where I'm at. I have some future plans as well (adding a retracting awning...getting some riveted snap-on cockpit covers for driving home from the lake, I wouldn't mind redesigning the seating so you lose the "third" seat in the front to make way for a passthrough ebtween the cockpits, etc.). I just have WAY too much restore and WAY too little time to deal with any of that. On the note of passing through the cockpits - I'm also half inclined ot leave it original but A) I can't find any pricing options that would detract from or add to the value given this is basically an unknown boat, from an unknown manufacturer with only 3 in existence that I can find and B) I have 3 children under the age of 8...and a schnauzer. This is leaning me towards having a more accessible boat, albeit a small one, and not wasting so much "leg space" between the two cockpits. I thought a few sort of built in cabinets with a door might be nice on either side, rather than just an empty hull.

Anyhow here she is. She hasn't been named as she's not be christened. I'm still WAY up in the air on that.

FB_IMG_1602902988822.jpg20200801_165956.jpg20200730_155238.jpgIMG_4070.jpgIMG_4064.jpg

She's a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    She's a beauty.
    Thank you! She needs a lot of work. I hope to get to it soon if it ever stops raining and/or being downright cold here in South-Central Colorado!