Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182728

Thread: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

M
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Bum's Bay...suitably named?
    Guess I had that coming .
    At least I’m not the guy that stopped by WB early Friday morning with a 3/4 bottle of Buddy heading for breakfast on a friends boat.

Default Re: Wee Barkie a pocket cruiser meauring just over 25' will it get me there

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Blowing a very cold south westerly, gusting to gale force with squalls and hail down here…...
    I feel for you guys down there and also finally worked out why Phil is baking all that bread.

Yes it has been cool and I was feeling it on the boat at night .But at least we are not having to chain up our tires, or scrape the frost of the deck.

Wee Barkie had a ripper of a sail on Thursday from bums bay to the Tweed with moderate NE winds .
    I managed to break all previous trip records cruising up the river in well under three hours.The Gaff Rig at this point exceeded all my expectations with the knotmeter in uncharted territory producing regular 7s and touching on 8 knots once or twice.
    Another first was also accomplished when I was able to sail across the bar and up the river unassisted something I had consistently failed at .

32C2E1D3-863F-4C5F-8FE5-FF333DA3669C.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Wee Barkie had a ripper of a sail on Thursday from bums bay to the Tweed with moderate NE winds .
    I managed to break all previous trip records cruising up the river in well under three hours.The Gaff Rig at this point exceeded all my expectations with the knotmeter in uncharted territory producing regular 7s and touching on 8 knots once or twice.
    Another first was also accomplished when I was able to sail across the bar and up the river unassisted something I had consistently failed at .

32C2E1D3-863F-4C5F-8FE5-FF333DA3669C.jpg
    That's impressive Tom. I nearly crossed the bar under sail alone one time but miss judged the southerly set and had head up into the wind under power unfortunately.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Last time I tried to cross the bar the woman on the other side told me to sit back down or she wouldn't serve me any more drinks.

Thanks Gary there was some luck involve by arriving early due to my fast trip with the tide still ebbing.
    My problem with trying to sail all the way past Twin Towns in the past has been lack of wind combined with a flooding tide which cause WB to loose steerage.
    I also narrowly missed out sailing onto my mooring due to several overrides on my staysail furler which I was unable to furl in order to control my final approach speed.

Go the Gaff

Sadly today may well have been the last time I tinkered on WB .
    Despite coming up two years short on my initial plans to keep WB for at least 10 years I advertised her recently and a new prospective owner has appeared .Looks like she will be heading down to Sydney again.

Unfortunately due to recent family circumstances and my subsequent building project in the Moreton Bay Islands leaves me with limited time to use WB and give her the attention she deserves.

Looks like I’m more or less a one woman man with Jim as a mistress after all the Quintrex does not count on this forum.

It will be good that Jim has some outings, Peter would appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    It will be good that Jim has some outings, Peter would appreciate that.
    Your not wrong there I’m just waiting for the right conditions to cross the Currumbin bar and head up the coast to Southport a trip Peter and I discussed.

Your not wrong there I’m just waiting for the right conditions to cross the Currumbin bar and head up the coast to Southport a trip Peter and I discussed.

Please try to get photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Please try to get photos.

Will do .
    In some ways it will be a different trip as due to the location of Currumbin as we will be sailing much closer to the beach. Hopefully Jim will be up to speed when crossing Palm Beach reef while trolling a fishing line .

Will do .
    In some ways it will be a different trip as due to the location of Currumbin as we will be sailing much closer to the beach. Hopefully Jim will be up to speed when crossing Palm Beach reef while trolling a fishing line .
    I'm seriously considering sailing the TS16 up to Southport at some stage once i have it setup.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I'm seriously considering sailing the TS16 up to Southport at some stage once i have it setup.

Sailing the TS and Jim together could give you both an added safety factor, and the fun would be very much enhanced.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Sailing the TS and Jim together could give you both an added safety factor, and the fun would be very much enhanced.

Agreed, and think of the photos.

That sounds great it would also be interesting to see how Jim performs of the wind . Because she certainly lacks weather ability judging by our last place finish in the Tumbelgum Passage .Actually in our case it was more like a 6 hour tacking marathon.
    I’ll give you a couple of days notice when conditions may be suitable on the bar.

That sounds great it would also be interesting to see how Jim performs of the wind . Because she certainly lacks weather ability judging by our last place finish in the Tumbelgum Passage .Actually in our case it was more like a 6 hour tacking marathon.
    I’ll give you a couple of days notice when conditions may be suitable on the bar.
    I'm a way off any TS16 sailing, I don't even have the boat yet and it's going to need some TLC before it gets wet.

I'm a way off any TS16 sailing, I don't even have the boat yet and it's going to need some TLC before it gets wet.
    Did you see the 16 hartley hull on Marketplace for sale in Fingal 400 sounds not bad and the hull looks well built,

Sadly today may well have been the last time I tinkered on WB .
    Despite coming up two years short on my initial plans to keep WB for at least 10 years I advertised her recently and a new prospective owner has appeared .Looks like she will be heading down to Sydney again.

Unfortunately due to recent family circumstances and my subsequent building project in the Moreton Bay Islands leaves me with limited time to use WB and give her the attention she deserves.

Looks like I’m more or less a one woman man with Jim as a mistress after all the Quintrex does not count on this forum.
    Sorry to hear that she’s going Tom but very happy to hear that you’ve likely found a buyer. That 8 years seams to have come and gone very quickly.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Did you see the 16 hartley hull on Marketplace for sale in Fingal 400 sounds not bad and the hull looks well built,
    I did and it would be a good score but i think more expensive and a lot more work for me in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Sorry to hear that she’s going Tom but very happy to hear that you’ve likely found a buyer. That 8 years seams to have come and gone very quickly.
    Reminiscing on my stewardship of owning WB ,they where great years and friends and crew always had a great time.
    She is a unique vessel and It is my hope her new owner will care for her.

But it’s time to move on as a new chapter of my sailing adventures unfolds with Jim.

Wee Barkie’s new owner took possession late last night after missing two flights out of Sydney. He is a very eccentric artist with some sailing experience . .
    Mind you his request to wait at the airport after his bags where loaded while he retrieved a stash of grass from behind some bushes left previously raised some concerns.

I sincerely hope Wee Barkie will get Conrad to wherever his fancy desires.

WB over and out.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 04-28-2021 at 08:14 AM.