Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162526

Thread: Kotik, Kotik, Kotik!

Default Re: Kotik, Kotik, Kotik!

Coming along nicely, Ian : ). Great cleat!
    You can never have too many clamps

Thanks, Alex. I think the deck painting will be good this time.
    The cleat has a longer horn on one side, which will be the top end, for hanging the halliard coil on. I ground the heads of the hex-head bolts to round and put screwdriver slots in them, so that they recess into the top of the cleat, without making such a big hole.
    Cheers,
    Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Boats eh... always something to do. Good to see you are on top of things Ian, boatwise and healthwise.
    You will hit next summer lookin' and feelin' sharp.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Thanks, Mike. I certainly expect so! My radiation therapy starts this afternoon.

I put the last coat of paint on the deck yesterday afternoon, without grit in it. It was getting dark as I finished, so I took these two photos this morning, not that you can see them very well. The boat was wet with dew, as it always is these mornings. I took the masking tape off each panel while the second coat was wet, which took about as long as the painting. I thought it might be difficult to get off if it had two layers of paint dried over it. Stripping and painting the deck has taken a whole month, so I'm pleased to have it done now.

P1020143.jpg

P1020144.jpg

Now I've just got that new halliard cleat to put on the bulkhead. Then we'll do a trial rig before we put the cover back on her for the winter.

Cheers,
    Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 05-24-2021 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Clarify text.
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”

That looks very smooth* and clean - and quite unlike what it replaced! Nice . I hope that the radiotherapy went OK, but the results/reactions won't necessarily be immediate, of course...

Cheers,
    Alex.

* Not in the non-slip sense!
    Last edited by Alex1N; 05-04-2021 at 05:31 AM.

Thanks, Alex. What it replaced was neatly done, but there is no way we would have had time to do it this way before we launched her two years ago.

I've had two radiotherapies now. OK so far.

I discovered last night that a lot of my photos have disappeared off this thread. Fortunately, when I saw what was happening to some other threads a while ago, I saved each page of this one into my files, and the photos are still in their groups for each page, so it might be fairly easy to see which ones belong where. Otherwise, I could probably sort them out from the reduced copies in the relevant photo folders. I'll see how I go at putting them back, but it might take several evenings.

Cheers,
    Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 05-05-2021 at 05:25 AM.

Looking good again Ian.
    Strange to hear you talk about cover her up for winter while springtime is in full blast around here...

cheers Max

Thanks, Max. The deck will be much better for walking on now. Some people use white paint around the edges, which looks pretty good too.
    We have just had the "driest-equal" April since records began in 1918. Only 12mm of rain for the entire month, and temperatures in the upper teens.
    Cheers,
    Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 05-08-2021 at 11:55 AM.

I had my last radiation treatment on Monday, so we are pleased not to have to go to the hospital every day. (5 days/week.) I'll have a follow-up appointment in June, for the final word on the subject. I fully expect to be "honourably discharged".

Here are some photos of that big halliard cleat I made for the cabin bulkhead. I put it on last week, with glue, bolts, and a backing plate on the inside. It needs a fairlead on top of the bulkhead, but that can wait.

I might cleat the halliard on the tabernacle first, or I might not. Alison can tail it for me as I haul up the sail from the mast, so it doesn't go all over the place.
    The yellow thing is an "intelligent" battery charger I keep plugged into a power socket in the garage.
    P1020159.jpg

Oops! Maybe the cleat is a little too big, but I didn't want to cut a bit off it.
    P1020162.jpg

So I did the other thing, and sealed it with 5-minute Araldite.
    P1020173.jpg

Well, they do it on cars, don't they?
    P1020166.jpg

Anyway, that was the last thing I wanted to do this season, so we put the caravan cover back on Kotik on Sunday.
    P1020175.jpg

We don't plan to sail Kotik again until September. This is probably a logical place to end this thread, but I'll leave it open just now. I'll start another one next season for our new adventures. In the meantime, I have been working on the launching trolley for the Feather Pram (see "Feather Pram for Kotik"), and I am still replacing the missing photos off this thread. Some pages still have them, others have none at all. It is helpful to have saved the pages of the thread as I went along.

Many thanks for all your comments and encouragement along the way. I have enjoyed the contact.

Cheers,
    Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 06-09-2021 at 04:51 AM. Reason: add Araldite

Hi Ian,
    Looking forward to seeing a few springtime sailing photos.
    Stay warm.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Kotik has turned out to be a very lovely boat and I am not ready for the story to end Ian. Speaking for myself, we get attached to these long projects and want to keep following the story, your story, Kotik’s story. So, maybe instead of closing the thread, you could consider just updating it once and awhile with adventures? Just a thought.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

I've enjoyed following. Looking forward to next year's adventures.
    -Dave

Yes keep it going!
    I´ll be happy to see more.
    Cheers Max

Looks like you’ll have a great season next summer Ian, now that you’ve got your maintenance issues sorted, boat and body.

Hi Ian
    Congratulations on getting through chemo. I hope it is all done and dusted so it is time to move on.

Thanks for this thread. It has always been one of my must-reads. ( although the thread title always makes me think of a car with a worn CV joint).

Cheers
    Mike

Thanks for all your kind messages. I will consider whether to continue this thread with our new adventures, or to start a new one in the People and Places section, with an easily identifiable title. Any preferences?

I am still seeing your Amazon postings, Jim in Juneau. I have admired your skills and tenacity, and your family's involvement. Nice to see them enjoying her now.

Thanks Mike (Mcjim - fellow Kiwi). Yes, I think my cancer is almost history now. Glad you like the thread. We had a car with worn CV joints once. They said "clonk-clonk-clonk" when the steering was hard over. Yes, we had them replaced.

Mike (1902 - another fellow Kiwi). Thanks for your understanding of the problems of life.

Max, It's great to have you as a "virtual friend".

Dave "Woxbox", I appreciate your intelligent interest. Thanks for chiming in, now and then.

Thanks again, Andrew, for your help, two years ago! I hope we might meet again some time. Keep up your work on the good ship Margaret!

I am still putting photos back. I am on page 13 now. It is very slow. The next 3 pages have none of mine still on them at all, just some that other people have put on them. The rest of the pages look OK, on a quick flick through. Phew! I stopped going through Flickr when I reached 998 photos on it. From there on, and for these replacements, I am putting them on directly from my computer, as I think a lot of us are doing now. I don't think this is a Flickr problem, I have no idea how it happened.

(This is not really a farewell speech. I've nearly finished the pram dinghy and I've got one of Eric's boats to build next. )

All the best to all of you,
    Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 05-28-2021 at 07:47 PM. Reason: sp.

A new thread in People & Places, with a link to this thread in the first post--that would be my inclination. Either way, thanks for posting!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Nothing wrong with keeping a couple of threads running, one for adventures the other for upgrades to the boat. Leaving this one "open" also lets a future builder who might be using it as a reference ask a question without going the PM route.

We share a similar "serial builder" syndrome, looking forward to your next build. I'm a few weeks out from getting this house build through the final inspection then it's on to a serious re-fit for Marianita.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Hello Ian, great medical news! Looking forward to the 'all-clears' . Lovely large cleat.

I'm with those that say keep this thread open - Stromberg put it well above.

Cheers,
    Alex.

i vote for keeping this thread and starting another in people/places so we can see more of UnZud and its beauty.
    Last edited by Andrew Donald; 06-05-2021 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks guys. Yes, I think that's a good plan. I will keep this thread for future improvements, and run another one on People and Places for future adventures in the scenery of Een Zeed (that's for Andrew).
    Hi Steve, Congratulations on finishing your new house. Built by you, I'm sure "Casa Stromborg" will pass her inspection with flying colours!
    Cheers,
    Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 06-02-2021 at 05:45 AM.

I’ve not read this entire thread but I have admired Kotik for some time. She makes my heart throb! Here’s to a job well done and to your “honorable discharge “!

This was an unsuccessful experiment to shift photos from #561 and 562, p.17. They are now on #564.
    Last edited by IanMilne; 06-07-2021 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Having trouble restoring photos.

I can’t see the photos Ian.

Yes, I see what you mean, Andrew. I'll try to sort it out tomorrow. It's a pain when they tell me there's a limit of five images per posting when I'm trying to restore six. These photos are some of the ones that went missing from page 17.
    Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 06-07-2021 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks for telling me, Andrew. The photos are now on # 564, page 17, the closest available space to where they were originally. Ian 8/6/21
    Cheers,
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by dalekidd View Post
    I’ve not read this entire thread but I have admired Kotik for some time. She makes my heart throb! Here’s to a job well done and to your “honorable discharge “!
    Welcome, Dale. I don't know if all the photos were there when you read it, as I recently found that a lot of them had disappeared. I have just finished restoring them. There is a lot of reading too. Thanks for wading through it and your kind remarks. Glad you enjoyed it. Interesting profile you have.
    Regards,
    Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 06-07-2021 at 06:54 PM.

I thought I had finished restoring all the missing photos off this thread, but I just found some more, on page 17.

We saw the Radiologist on Friday. He just wanted to see how I had handled the treatment. Well enough, apparently. We still have to see the Haematologist this month, but haven't got the date yet. She will get me another CT scan, which will give us the verdict, but I'm quite confident about it.

Cheers,
    Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 06-07-2021 at 08:57 PM.

Photos are restored! That's a relief! I hope the photos stick better this time.

Cheers,
    Ian

Hi Ian, I hope you’re staying out of the cold, but I bet you are in the shed?
    just got a couple of questions for you on cabin top handrails.
    there’s no info on my plans, not even where to place them.
    So first how did you decide how far from centreline and are they parallel to c/l?
    I see you’ve set them plumb, would you change to perpendicular to cabin top to make it easier to get hand under? Also may be a little easier to set bases being near enough square?
    I think I saw you’ve bolted them through to cabin interior, but I’m concerned about my head being one of those people who uses my head for a hammer. Do you think it would be adequate to set bolts into epoxy nuggets almost through to underside of cabin beams? On my boat that would give me about a 1 1/4” nugget with 1/4” of timber left (1/2” top and 1” beam) on underside of beam. I’d imagine about a 15mm dia nugget with 6mm bolts.
    hope this makes sense.
    Andrew

Hi Andrew,
    I've been in the house the last couple of days, but in the shed this afternoon, finishing the Feather Pram trolley and figuring out the patterns for the oar leathers. Thanks for asking.

1. Just got a couple of questions for you on cabin top handrails. There’s no info on my plans, not even where to place them.
    So first how did you decide how far from centreline and are they parallel to c/l?rails.

I thought they were too close to the hatch-rails on the plan, so I put them with a clear space of 200mm (8") out from the hatch-rails, which is adequate, but 250mm (10") would have been better. This gives me a clear walkway along the top of the roof, without the risk of sliding off the side. I also often stand with my heels on the hand-rail and my toes on the roof, when furling the sail and stuff like that. I put toe-rails along the edges of the roof for the same reason, which aren't in the plans. I've got the gritty paint on the roof now too. Yes, my handrails are parallel to the centreline.

2. I see you’ve set them plumb, would you change to perpendicular to cabin top to make it easier to get hand under?

They are shown as plumb on the plans, and I think they look better that way, but I just scaled them as 75mm high off the profile drawing, which didn't leave enough clearance under the inner edge with the steep camber of the roof, having left the rails squarish with the edges just rounded off on the router table. I had to take some more off the inner lower edges of the grips with my big wood-rasp and sandpaper. Just another of those awkward little tasks. I should have made them out of 100 x 50, not 75 x 50 (2x4, not 2x3), to allow for the slope of the roof. They are OK now.

3. Also may be a little easier to set bases being near enough square?

Yes, no doubt, but if you hold them plumb with a couple of sticks clamped across them it's easy enough to scribe the feet to fit the roof. (See photo on page 16, #560.)

4. I think I saw you’ve bolted them through to cabin interior, but I’m concerned about my head being one of those people who uses my head for a hammer. Do you think it would be adequate to set bolts into epoxy nuggets almost through to underside of cabin beams? On my boat that would give me about a 1 1/4” nugget with 1/4” of timber left (1/2” top and 1” beam) on underside of beam. I’d imagine about a 15mm dia nugget with 6mm bolts.

Yes, I agree that the nuts could be a hazard. If I did another one (not likely) I would use 6mm machine screws bonded into the beams, as you describe ("nuggets?) and shown in the Gougeon book. The nuggets would be shorter that the screws, to give the screws some wood to bite into to pull them down while the epoxy is still soft. The insides of the beams would look better too. I also think the nuggets would be perfectly adequate at 10 or 12 mm diameter, rather than 15.

Hope this makes sense.
    Andrew

Yes, perfectly.

Glad to hear you're on the job.

Cheers,
    Ian

I did a "Reply With Quote", with yours in italics and mine in plain font, but it came out all in italics, whatever I did, so I have rearranged it through a Word document. It's easier to read now.
    Last edited by IanMilne; 06-09-2021 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Font

My Haematologist appointment is 23rd June.
    Ian

Thanks for your reply Ian. You’ve raised a few good points especially the one about foot room between rail and hatch. I’m making mine full length like yours too.

Computer problems can be a frustrating waste of time . All the best at Haemotologist
    Last edited by Andrew Donald; 06-09-2021 at 11:41 AM.

That's good, Andrew. Glad to help.
    You're right about computer problems.
    Thanks for good wishes.
    Ian