Thread: Transformer noise

Default Transformer noise

Good morning,

Iím digging around (again) to try to decide whether to run direct burial cable to supply my cabin electric or go with solar.

I took better measurements and it looks to be about 800-1000 feet from the pole to the structure depending on whether we trench a straight line.

The cost of wire (either alu or copper) for this run is pretty stout.

Iím finding that Iím going to need to commit to 100 amps. Would like 200 but the price is off the charts. So will stick with brazing but no welding.

One option to reduce wire size/cost (a lot) is to have step up and step down transformers.

My big concern is the noise. Nothing like the 24/7 buzz of a transformer to make the place feel like home.

The quiet is a big enough issue for me to swing the decision one way or the other.

My transformer experience is old and outdated and technology may have solved the issue. Do they make quiet units now?

Thanks

Default Re: Transformer noise

Go ahead and spring for the cost of the wire to run 200 amps.

It'll only hurt once when you pay the bill, but in the future you will be glad that you have plenty of electrical capacity available. Even if you don't use it.

And if you ever go to sell the place, prospective buyers won't be put off by a minuscule electrical service.
    Even a fish wouldnít get in trouble if it kept it's mouth shut.

do the right thing to make it quiet

if you really want to weld out there use an engine driven welder
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Sounds like a good question for your local utility provider.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

I've got a distribution wire, a pole, and a transformer, and an ID plate up by the road. It's not in the computer system so it doesn't exist.

I ran 100 amp service underground to my old place about 900 ft. It took 350MCM & had max 5% voltage drop. The power company won't run that (mine requires max 2% drop), but what's on your side of the meter is your business.

IMHO, unless you are running a commercial shop, 100 amp is a lot. Heck, in the 50's & 60's most homes were 40 or 60 amp. My current (no pun intended - well maybe ) house has 200 amp & according to the power company, the max load over the last 2 years was 48.

Not including conduit (easiest to pick up @ a local big box) 350-350-4/0 is about $3.50 per foot from Nassau cable: https://www.nassaunationalcable.com/products/350-triplex-urd?_pos=1&_sid=734384ec5&_ss=r

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Thanks Garret. That’s what I was thinking. It’s roughly 1000 sq ft. AC will be my biggest load.

Welders typically need 50 amp outlet and thatís a decent size one. It wonít use that much for most welding. As long as you arenít running other loads at the same time you will be fun. I run a 100 amp sub panel for a bunch of my stuff, (oven, welder, a couple saws, compressor...) and never an issue.
    Tom

27 amps for an LG multi split (48,000 btu) with a min 40 amp breaker. Propane for cooking. Wood for heat.

I wouldn’t mind a smaller, backup solar setup for electric hot water, a big ceiling fan, charging various electronics,

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    I've got a distribution wire, a pole, and a transformer, and an ID plate up by the road. It's not in the computer system so it doesn't exist.
    God bless Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowolf View Post
    God bless Texas.
    It ain't just TX. About 15 years ago I participated a cell tower audit for AT&T - checking to see what their battery backup systems were. I was one of 5 or 6 people who covered New England. In Maine I found that a tower they had on their books did not exist & found 2 (one at the Nantucket Airport!) that they did not have on the books.

A 100 ft tall, $300K cell tower is not something one would think could be misplaced...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    do the right thing to make it quiet

if you really want to weld out there use an engine driven welder
    There's a Hobart Champion on C-list right now for $650.

You won't be building a pipeline with it but . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Start drawing power off that bad boy, and they'll figure it out.
    Rattling the teacups.

I thought this was a thread about Megan Fox' lingering impact on a movie franchise.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

100 amps is plenty for a welder, just use large enough wire to avoid voltage drop on that long run.
    That is likely to give you more fits than amperage.

The price of two transformers and the other required parts will likely sting more than the bigger wire.
    Snakes like them because they are warm all the time.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    It ain't just TX. About 15 years ago I participated a cell tower audit for AT&T - checking to see what their battery backup systems were. I was one of 5 or 6 people who covered New England. In Maine I found that a tower they had on their books did not exist & found 2 (one at the Nantucket Airport!) that they did not have on the books.

A 100 ft tall, $300K cell tower is not something one would think could be misplaced...
    Yeah... I shouldnít be so hard on Texas.

My sister just completed some contract work for Charter Cable, tracking down ďmisplaced assetsĒ all across the Midwest.

If you put in a solar system you won’t be paying the power company every month forever. With what we hear of Texas’s power grid operators I’d hate giving them the couple of hundred bucks every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowolf View Post
    Yeah... I shouldn’t be so hard on Texas.

My sister just completed some contract work for Charter Cable, tracking down “misplaced assets” all across the Midwest.
    When I was doing computer repair for a large company, I visited a client who had 3 systems in the computer room - each 35 feet of racks full of I/O and disk units. 2 were under contract ($1M per year each) , one was not - the customer was glad to sign to cover the 3rd one - they never were able to discover why it had never been covered before.

Rick