Thread: classic wooden hull

Question

Gentlemen,

I know it would be beloww your dignity to talk to me since I am only a "metal boat man", but I have a question concerning an old classic hull.

The boat is 55ft long, was built in 1901 and apparently won an important race or set an international record or even a world record at the time.

Now a friend bought this boat from an estate and is now considering the restoration.

The problem is that the bow and the stern have sagged badly. As a result, the hull became considerably narrower, as a result of this the deck lifted up, the cabin roof lifted and got bent badly, the frames inside are distorted.

The boat is a real classic with long keel, canoe stern, long overhangs, copper stove and lots of braas everything.

The hull has been caulked, but has been in a dry desert climat (that is why I did not build a wooden hull).

Question: Can it be restored. If anybody is really interested to help with advice, I could find the time and post some pictures on the net.

Further, I find this forum the best boat building forum there is, do you guys know of something as good for steel boat building?

regards Ongolo Esq. (infamous) Namibia

oh so sorry,

brass ist not braas but brass and the hull is a wooden hull, just to make sure before you guys ignore me.

Ongolo

The're all restorable. It's a matter of the threshold of pain.

Pictures ?

Yep, the nice thing is that, no matter what, all it takes is time and money.

I second the call for pictures.

Namibia... who'd of thunk it. Welcome Ongolo! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

No points deducted for spelling.That was a good idea you had to move the boat in Canada .I'm waiting to see how it went for them.Not every one is prejudiced and the wealth of the knowledge here is the ability to share and learn from everyone.Nice to meet you.Pics help us all learn,it's the picture is worth a thousand words syndrom.And some one like me I tend to put a wrong word in occasionally which really screws up the stew. Dan L.
    LIVE FREE OR DIE..............TRYIN'

For the metal boat nuts out there, try www.metalboatsociety.com
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Thank you guys,

Pictures of the boat coming up in a few days time.

I hope. ))

Thanks for the tip on the metal boat society.

regards ongolo

I guess I'm a metal boat man too...or I will be if I can get Schnecke into the water.

Make no apologies. Some of us regard steel as a kind of wood [img]smile.gif[/img] , and I think we are all delighted to have a correspondent from Namibia.

When you post pics of the hogged wooden hull, could you include some of your own project?

Hi Bruce,

I am trying to post some earlier pictures of my project.

I must figure out how many I may post and how that all works here.

regards ongolo

Ongolo -

Welcome! Our resident picture posting expert and mentor is Norm Messinger - he's posted some very clear directions on the topic at:

http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultim...c;f=1;t=007063

Our best researcher is Donn Westervelt (every now and then I beat him to something, but he's pretty on top of things) so just give us as many details on your friend's project as possible and we'll see what we can find out for you.

- Margo

[ 06-15-2003, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Concordia..41 ]
    - M<br /><a href=\"http://www.sailingwithsarah.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.sailingwithsarah.com</a>

Welcome, let's start with boat name, designer, age, and anything else you can think of.

Steven