Thread: "Lady Bug" loses out to...

Well I've got a name. The ship... uh, boat... well, skiff is to be named after my lovely Greek wife: (And yes, my life has been just like My Big Fat Greek Wedding - the movie is not a stretch, it is dead on.)

Bernadetteolis Rosemaryopolis

The transom (I've measured) is almost wide enough for all the letters. The letters need to be large enough to read so it looks like I will have to wrap the name around the sides a bit. May look odd from the back but just fine as you walk around the transom from port to starboard.

Nah, I ruled out Lady Bug and Blue Bird since the names rather dictated what colors to use. Taking the advice that I received on a previous thread I have decided to name it after my better half, namely Dawn Marie. Nice ring to it. More importantly it will cushion the blow from all these Home Depot receipts that continue piling up as I near completion.

It is a deep royal blue with white badges and trim. The inside is bright finished. Going against convention I chose a varnish that is semi-gloss and the exterior paint is a satin finish. Kind of going for the understated look. As diligently as I slaved over the hull I was shocked at all the little nics and such that I missed. That is when I decided, "Well, I guess that I am going for the work boat look!" Fortunately the semi dosn't show it as much as a gloss would.

[ 06-14-2003, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Captain Pre-Capsize ]
    "Life is an adventure... partake."

"The dangers in life are infinite and safety is among them."

DAWN MARIE...Vary nice name for a
    boat(and a lady)I once dated a woman named
    Dawn Marie . She was Italian/Scotish ... easy
    on the eyes .

Always a good Idea to name the boat aftebr /> the wife .
    where ever you go there you are

Can Lady Bug be her nickname???
    - M<br /><a href=\"http://www.sailingwithsarah.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.sailingwithsarah.com</a>

Bad Idea...like Tattos....Somewhere down the line you may change wives but not the boat...and changing the boat's name is more difficult than changing the wife's or girlfriend's......
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Originally posted by paladin:
    Bad Idea...like Tattos....Somewhere down the line you may change wives but not the boat...and changing the boat's name is more difficult than changing the wife's or girlfriend's......
    I second the notion. Most popular inspiration for boat names? Daughters - if you ain't got one, I suggest you get one ASAP. With any luck at all they last way longer than wives.
    Living well is the best revenge

Good Name

Some of us romantics are still smitten with our wives and hope we will be forever.

Howard

When we were courting, Dave bought the Watkins and named it after me. I "had" to marry him then because I didn't figure he have any luck trying to pick some gal up and take her back to the Princess Margo

For the record though, it is horribly embarrassing [img]redface.gif[/img] - (think about hailing bridges).

- M

I agree with the others who like the name. It's beautiful and well-named. Besides, how do you tell your wife that you decided to change the boat's name, just in case...

Don't be pessimistic. To me, pessimism can often be labeled "self-fulfilling prophecy". I tend to think that people usually hit what they are aiming at.

Personally, I'll be naming the boat of my dreams after my paternal grandmother, who passed away when I was twelve. She doted on me like no one else in my life. Next to God, she's my personal definition of love. I like to tell people that I hope to name my first daughter after her, if I am lucky enough to be so blessed. Her name was Annie Elizabeth (Taylor).

Yes Margo, her given name may be DAWN MARIE but everyone/everything must have a nic name and this vessel is no different. Lady Bug 'tis!
    "Life is an adventure... partake."

"The dangers in life are infinite and safety is among them."

Omaha, Nebraska, USA, Terra , Sol, Milky Way....

So when you say to your buddies, I'm going to the lake and sail Dawn Marie, what will they think? Or better, lets all go said Dawn Marie, she can carry us all.