Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BROTM of June, Peter Malcolm Jardine.... Congratulations....

Smile BROTM of June, Peter Malcolm Jardine.... Congratulations....

PMJ was chosen by landslide. Congratulations!!!

Speech expected. Have a great reign. Looking forward to reading your posts.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Default Re: BROTM of June, Peter Malcolm Jardine.... Congratulations....

Another Canadian!

Maybe he'll 'nice' us to death!

Horror!
    Rattling the teacups.

"PMJ was chosen by landslide."

Yeah, yeah, yeah...atta girl...rub it in!
    Thanks, Spinner, for holding yet another fair and fun election!
    Congratulations, PMJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a question for the New Great Rat. Should we call you Peter the Great or the Great.... well you get my drift, Live long and prosper Mighty Rat.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

knowing peter, there's a good chance he won't login the entire month. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    knowing peter, there's a good chance he won't login the entire month. . .
    This can't be, only fun and active rats are allowed to run.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Another Canadian!

Maybe he'll 'nice' us to death!

Horror!
    And maybe he's actually the tyrant that Mr F claimed to be. Don't worry though, we carpenters will be the first to know . . . when orders come down to start mass-producing stocks for the town square.

Life is short, play with your cougar.

As my first official act as BROTM, I pronounce this boat to be James Mcmullen's new ride for the month of June 2014:

Oy. Already, already.

Starting to remind me of Cicero. At every speech, no matter what the subject matter, he'd end with "... and Carthage must be destroyed ".
    Gerard>
    Langley, WA

Don't believe Republican lies.

This mericans dunno bow down to no fer ner,

Suit yourself boy......

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Malcolm Jardine View Post
    As my first official act as BROTM, I pronounce this boat to be James Mcmullen's new ride for the month of June 2014:

No oarlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    No oarlocks.
    But other than that he'd love it!

On the other hand, here is my new ride for the month:

John Trumpy, 1960 57 feet. Twin 8V71 Detroits.

or this boat.... probably my all time favorite Chris Craft... on the bucket list, but not terribly likely.

1968 Chris Craft 57 foot Constellation, twin detroits. The last wooden boat built by Chris Craft was one of these from the Pompano Beach plant in 1972.

I prefer this model ......(without flybridge.)

Suit yourself boy......

Good job!
    Bye, BobBS!

Peter, I have a list of things I'll need. I'll need them by mid week at the latest. I'll give you the list no later than Tuesday.

or this boat....
    when are you gonna man up and buy a canadian boat, say a ditchburn for instance???

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by peter malcolm jardine View Post
    suit yourself boy......

Ouch!!!

On this auspicious night, we celebrate the Canadianization of the Bilge. Never before has the Bilge itself voted for two consecutive non-American Kings. We recognize and celebrate the implicit respect this demonstrates for Monarchical structures, to say nothing of subtle spelling changes and a weird fondness for certain brands of coffee and doughnuts (note the spelling).

I cheerily pass the Tyrant's mace to my countryman, and look forward to becoming his subject, as you have been mine for this 31 day excursion into M'ehhem.

Long live the King.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    On this auspicious night, we celebrate the Canadianization of the Bilge. Never before has the Bilge itself voted for two consecutive non-American Kings. We recognize and celebrate the implicit respect this demonstrates for Monarchical structures, to say nothing of subtle spelling changes and a weird fondness for certain brands of coffee and doughnuts (note the spelling).

I cheerily pass the Tyrant's mace to my countryman, and look forward to becoming his subject, as you have been mine for this 31 day excursion into M'ehhem.

Long live the King.

every time I tawk to a Canadian they tawk about their boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    when are you gonna man up and buy a canadian boat, say a ditchburn for instance???

The only issue with those old boats was the beam.... They rolled terribly in a cross chop, and even in a 50 foot boat there was no goddamn room. Beautiful to look at.

Here is Lady Eaton's personal boat, A Ditchburn Viking long deck launch. These boats were quite advanced, with a step in the hull. Only 9 remain of18, if memory serves. This boat is for sale on Antique Boat America for 600k. It was restored by Peter Breen, who is considered an authority on Ditchburn restoration. He does absolutely amazing work.... his shop is in Rockwood Ontario.

I am going to put up some Canadian content for my month of benevolent dictatorship...

Alan Mills was a well known balladeer of Canadian 'working songs' from around the country. He recorded on Folkways Records in the 1950's, and had a number of recordings which are considered to be benchmark collections of important local songs and ballads.

In his rendition of 'The Southern Cross' Alan sings of the SS Southern Cross, a sealing ship that was lost in the spring of 1914, along with the SS Newfoundland. A beautiful haunting song, and it is a fine example of Canadian eastern folk telling that was the musical tradition.

The 1914 sealing fleet included both Southern Cross and SS Newfoundland (under Captain Westbury Kean). In addition to minor crew changes from 1913, the fateful decision to remove the wireless set and operator from Newfoundland was taken in order to cut costs.

The fleet left St. John's on March 13, 1914. Newfoundland lost 78 sealers from her crew when they were stranded on the ice for two nights. Just as the terrible news of the Newfoundland tragedy was reaching St. John's, Southern Cross fell out of normal communication. The people of Newfoundland remained hopeful that tragedy would not strike twice, as evidenced by the April 3 newspaper article below:

Nothing has been heard of the Southern Cross since she was reported off Cape Pine on Tuesday last, and the general opinion is that she was driven far off to sea. Various reports were afloat in the city last night, one in particular that she had passed Cape Race yesterday afternoon, but upon making enquiries this and the other reports were unfortunately found to be untrue. At 5:30 yesterday the Anglo [Anglo-American Telegraph Co.] got in touch with Cape Race and learned that she had not passed the Cape neither was she at Trepassey. A message from Captain Connors of the Portia said she was not St. Mary’s Bay. A wireless message was sent by the government to the U.S. Patrol steamer Senaca, which is in the vicinity of Cape Race, asking her to search for the Cross. The S.S. Kyle will also leave tonight to make a diligent search for her and it is hoped that something will soon be heard from the overdue ship, as anxiety for her safety is increasing hourly. If she had been driven off to sea, which is the general opinion expressed by experienced seamen, it would take her some days to make land again. The ship is heavily laden and cannot steam at great speed.

—The Evening Telegram April 3, 1914

Unlike the tragedy of Newfoundland's crew, the disappearance of Southern Cross remained largely unexplained as no crewmen or record of the voyage survived. While a marine court of inquiry determined that the ship sank in a blizzard on March 31, little evidence exists to verify this. Oral tradition suggests that rotten boards gave out in the heavy sea and allowed the cargo to shift and capsize the steamer. Though the wreck of Southern Cross accounted for the greater human loss of the two shipwrecks, some historians argue that the emotional impact of the Newfoundland disaster was more intensely felt because of the horrific stories survivors were able to recount.

These two disasters together constitute what is referred to as the 1914 Newfoundland Sealing Disaster. A total loss of 251 lives from a province with a population of approximately 250,000 devastated families and communities. In his autobiographical book, Rockwell Kent describes the impact of the loss on Brigus, where many of the sealers from Southern Cross had lived. "It will pretty well clear out this place," said one resident of the ship's loss. According to Kent "The dread of the loss of this steamer had passed almost to certainty and the mention of the house, the wife, the children, the hopes and ambitions of any of those on her became a tragedy."

I cheerily pass the Tyrant's mace (Mace? That's gonna burn! DAMHIKT) to my countryman, and look forward to becoming his subject (okay - euphemism? Or prison-slang? Either way, a bit TMI) , as you have been mine for this 31 day excursion into M'ehhem.

Long live the King.

There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

A boat from my past: VALHALLA, a 1939 32 foot Richardson, powered by twin 110 horsepower Graymarine sixes. The original owner was Colonel J. D. D'Esterre, a World War I infantry Colonel, who established Kinnear D'Esterre Jewelers in Kingston Ontario. He was Commodore of the Kingston Yacht Club several times, and VALHALLA was always a well kept boat, as you can see her today, still in good condition. Jack and Georgina D'Esterre were two of the finest people I have ever met. I used to call him 'Captain' when I was a boy, and we had a tradition of a rowing race every summer at Macdonald Island in the Thousand Islands. Colonel D'Esterre would have been about 75 at the time I was five years old, and rowing against him. He always let me win. He was well into his 90's when he passed, and Georgina followed soon afterward. They were a wonderful couple. I salute his former vessel, and I hope she continues for another 75 years.

Now for something completely different. I am going to list some of my favorites on my computer. All of the sites I am going to list are boat related, and usually have some unusual part to them...... hard to find items, general industrial materials and fasteners... a lot of these companies I have already used, and they were all good to deal with!!

http://www.allcustomgasket.com/product.html?id=10

An industrial supplier of gasket material. You have to buy larger quantities than a single engine builder might want, but they have everything you can think of in gasket material

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/stainles.html

Plumbing supply.com have lots of stainless pipe fittings. Useful for lots of stuff.

http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/

Another one with lots of stainless stuff.

http://stores.precisionoilpumps.com/

Precision Oil pumps do full on blueprinted oil pumps, but only for domestic V8 Engines. About another 40 bucks, well worth it. Cheapest high end part you would ever buy for a hiperformance build.
    Last edited by Peter Malcolm Jardine; 05-31-2014 at 09:11 PM.

Okay some more since I seem to have screwed up.

http://www.restorationstuff.com/featured8.html

This is a site worth a look. This company supplies parts you thought hadn't been made in 50 years. Amazing actually, know anywhere else that sells a complete line of Alemite grease fittings etc?

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/

Aircraft kits and supplies..... a lot of things overlap into the marine industry.... adhesives, etc.

http://tnfasteners.com

Top Notch Fasteners, lots of different types and materials, 100 buck order, free ship.

http://www.qwikvalve.com/

The Fumoto quick valve..... for oil pans of all types. It's a no brainer.

http://www.ccgauges.com/index.html

Dale Kocian does award winning restoration of marine gauges, notably Chris Craft, but a lot of others too.

http://site.antiquemodelcanoes.com/Home.php

Roger Young has a wonderful collection of salesman sample and model canoes..... and big ones too. Nothing more irresistable than a fanatic. For all you canoe dudes.

http://www.solventfreepaint.ca/index.htm

For all you natural paint putty and coating people.... these guys have a very comprehensive line of 'natural' paints, linseed putties, Zinc White paints, and Pine Tar.

http://www.cableorganizer.com/wire-management/

Another cable organizer company, but this one makes the high temperature sleeving and so on. Just a niche market that may be hard to source.

http://www.tarps.com/econoretail.htm

I bought all my fittings for my covered slip from these people. Good to deal with, and good pricing on making a portable shelter or garage.

http://www.olympicgear.com/index.html

A small heavy duty gearbox, with lots of history.

http://home.comcast.net/~gregs.speed.shop/site/

Betcha didn't think they made this stuff anymore......

http://www.modelyachtfittings.com/

for you Pond yachtsman.... Yep, I have a five footer built by my grandfather and father in 1942.

Another Canadian boatbuilder of note.

Shepherd Boats

I saw a # of Shepherds at a show in Montreal that were just plain beautiful boats.

Interesting set of links you've posted - some good info - thanks.

Above the bilge, a great tragedy has taken place. Ole has lost Svaap and Minde in a fire in his shop. A terrible terrible loss of thousands of hours of work and two wonderful boats. So sorry Ole.

Long live the King.
    As much as I regret the necessity... I'm afraid I must raise a point of order regarding the legitimacy of Peter's election.

The question I must ask: has Peter even BEEN in the Pub (now known as Byob)??? And, if not, can this election stand???? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I have posted on the original pub, although not many times.

Twenty three years ago this May 1st, I had my last drink, toke, snort, pill,...... well you get my drift.
    Now, when I go to an place or event that has a bar, or people are drinking, when I am asked if I want a drink, I just say this:

"Thanks, but everyone is given a quota of booze and dope for their lifetime. I've drank and smoked and snorted all of mine, .... and some of yours too. I no longer drink or drug."

So, there you have it. I've spent more time in nasty old bars, boozecans, and other assorted drug and booze related ****holes that it would be a long time before most folks caught up.