Thread: If you’ve been fully vaccinated

Default If you’ve been fully vaccinated

according to the cdc, here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...accinated.html

If you’ve been fully vaccinated:

• You can resume activities that you did prior to the pandemic.
    • You can resume activities without wearing a mask or staying 6 feet apart, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance.
    • If you travel in the United States, you do not need to get tested before or after travel or self-quarantine after travel.
    • You need to pay close attention to the situation at your international destination before traveling outside the United States.
      • You do NOT need to get tested before leaving the United States unless your destination requires it.
      • You still need to show a negative test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before boarding an international flight to the United States.
      • You should still get tested 3-5 days after international travel.
      • You do NOT need to self-quarantine after arriving in the United States.

• If you’ve been around someone who has COVID-19, you do not need to stay away from others or get tested unless you have symptoms.
      • However, if you live or work in a correctional or detention facility or a homeless shelter and are around someone who has COVID-19, you should still get tested, even if you don’t have symptoms.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: If you’ve been fully vaccinated

Oh thats ok then.

tell that to the double vaccinated Australian guy who still had to quarantine fourteen days after arriving at his destination, came out, and tested positive. so they say.
    Bilious, choleric, sanguine and phlegmatic

The problem with that is that without some real proof of vaccination -- a "vaccination passport" as it were-- this opens a door a mile wide for the anti-mask/anti-vaccination morons to walk through.

Too bad the Covid 19 vaccine doesn't scar your arm like old-school smallpox vaccines did. That way, we all be walking around with proof on our arms.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

too bad antivaxxers will be disproportionately affected by the disease going forward
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I'm planning a day trip with a buddy in 9 days - a few hours in a car. We are both vaccinated, but Moderna appears to be less than fully effective against some of the variants. I'm a little nervous, but I'm not sure that I need to be.
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

Yay. Take me to the river. Drop me in the water.

Forbes Magazine May 6, 2021
    Two new studies have shown the real-world effectiveness of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine rollout against two deadly Covid variants, B.1.1.7 and B.1.351. The news is decidedly positive, especially when considered alongside data from a third study, released today, on the effectiveness of a Moderna booster shot against B.1.351 and the P.1 variant.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Sounds hopeful.

I remain a bit skeptical. Only because there seems to be a lot of social pressure - at all levels - to 'put this behind us'... 'open up again'... 'get back to normal'... etc. I'm all for alla dat. But I know social pressure can effect govt. policy. I guess I'll keep my mask on for a while longer. Even though our guv is lightening restrictions, Oregon remains one of the relative hotspots.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    too bad antivaxxers will be disproportionately affected by the disease going forward
    Hard to see that as disproportionate, more of a mild darwinian pressure..
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I thought vaxed people could still spread it?
    Things are as clear as never.
    something about a bat?

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post

?
    Well if that’s the case those un-vaccinated folks better rethink their decision.

One thing that does concern me. Our passengers have been told, and tests have shown that the air inside a plane is relatively safe, as safe or safer than say a supermarket. Now the CDC is saying take your mask off everywhere BUT on an airplane. The TSA extended the mask mandate in airports and on planes until 9/13.
    We were already having issues with non-compliant passengers. I predict this will makes things worse just as the summer travel season heats up. The added burden falls heavily on the flight attendants.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Consistent with the whole affair since the beginning, the science is evolving, all the while the virus is spreading and generating immune responses, and now the vaccine is spreading and also cutting down the available pool of spreaders. It is part of the latest version of CDC advice that the risk of vaccinated individuals carrying and spreading contamination is tiny.

The entire problem with the virus, from the beginning and continuing still, is individuals being ignorant of their own contamination or infection. Even smart people who appreciate science and know to do the right thing aren't able to detect whether they've been in contact with an infected person or other contamination or whether they have been infected.

EVERY infection came from someone who was ignorant of their own infection. IE, everone who contracted it, got it from someone who didn't know they were infected and spreading it.

Had we been able to establish that fact in our media and in our population, and everyone had immediately begun social distancing and wearing a mask etc—there would have been no pandemic.

The virus is invisible. Because it is smaller than anything else alive. Enough of it in concentrated form in an airborne droplet of human juice to overcome an individual's immune response and create illness and death is still too small to see.

If our public didn't include people who view government and science as dubious, when it was first announced that a highly contagious virus was breaking out, IF we had ALL listened and behaved as if anyone and everyone was a possibly infected, contaminated carrier, IF we had been able to assimilate the understanding that EVERY infection had been contracted so far by being in proximity to an already infected person WHO MAY BE ASYMPTOMATIC—had that message gone out in the beginning and our general population didn't include the fervantly righteously anti-vaxxers and anti-sciencers willing to politicize everything—the outbreak would have simply petered out, and there would have been NO pandemic. NO decimation of the economy and people's lives.

We got all of this global misery as a direct consequence of ignorance and stupidity and unthinking selfish people, and led by the famously blundering ignorant narcissistic sociopath they helped elect.

Consider this, if you've read this far, bear with me. Suppose the virus, upon contact with a new host, turned visible. Suppose an infected person grew a bright blue dot on their forehead. And then suppose the bright blue dot spread on the victim's skin until being entirely covered in bright blue skin. And now finally, suppose that the spread of the blueness having taken a day or so, when it was complete, and in a matter of only an hour or two, turned into festering pustles oozing orange goo, with the victim dying in writhing agony.

As soon as that was reported in the news, and a few people with emerging blue dots died within a couple of days, no one would not be immediately distancing from anyone with any blue skin showing. What would you do if the outbreak had grown a bit and you were out having a good time and the guys down the bar were getting smashed and blue dots were showing on their foreheads? Would you order another pint and stay for the matinee?

The number of people who died from the virus would've been single digits. Had the contamination been visible, had the lethality been more definite and immediate, had there been no possibility of recovering from such an infection, there would zero anti-maskers, and there wouldn't have been an emergency need for a vaccine to be distributed to the entire population in desperate hope of returning to normal. We wouldn't have been anywhere near a pandemic and everything would already be as normal as we get.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    My understanding is that we didn't know whether vaccinated people could spread it or not, so lots of 'might' and 'could' in the Official Word, and caution in the recommendations. Now we're reasonably sure vanniated people don't, or very rarely.

The problem, of course, is that if somone is unethical enough to refuse vaccination, they may very well lie about it as well. 'Oh, sure, I'm vaccinated' is all too easy. But perhaps there are enough people with immunity that the risk of transmission without masks is low.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 05-14-2021 at 08:32 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I'm planning a day trip with a buddy in 9 days - a few hours in a car. We are both vaccinated, but Moderna appears to be less than fully effective against some of the variants. I'm a little nervous, but I'm not sure that I need to be.
    If nervous, why don’t both of you get a COVID-19 test a couple of days before your trip. That’s what my vaccinated kids have done recently.

The vaccine doesn’t guarantee you won’t get infected. But it WAY ups your chances of not dying from it.

The key rack by the door & the shift lever in my car are about to look a lot less like Steven Tylers mic stand.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    I have always said that vaccinated people should not have to pay the price for those who choose not to get the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    I have always said that vaccinated people should not have to pay the price for those who choose not to get the shot.

They will though, because of the societal burden of disease.

Boatbums libertarianism is unencumbered by reality.

People who cannot get vaccinated will have to as well. I have 2 friends with Lupus & both have been told by their doctors that they cannot get vaccinated. So - they will suffer because of the selfish jerks who could, but won't.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    People who cannot get vaccinated will have to as well. I have 2 friends with Lupus & both have been told by their doctors that they cannot get vaccinated. So - they will suffer because of the selfish jerks who could, but won't.
    I don't disagree, but letting vaccinated people walk around without masks won't change that. Those that could be vaccinated but choose to abstain are being somewhat selfish. Some will pay the price for it and others may also make your friends pay the price.

I don't disagree, but letting vaccinated people walk around without masks won't change that. Those that could be vaccinated but choose to abstain are being somewhat selfish. Some will pay the price for it and others may also make your friends pay the price.
    other than universal mask policy’s are easier to enforce

Yet again “discussion” means “spew orthodoxy”

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    The vaccine doesn’t guarantee you won’t get infected. But it WAY ups your chances of not dying from it.
    Qualify that seeming nonsensical statement please. What is a vaccine for if not to guarantee you don't catch whatever it is you have been vaccinated against.

'You are less likely to die from catching the infection you just got vaccinated against, but got it anyway.?' 'I was vaccinated, but I caught the disease. but I didn't die.' How about the uncounted millions who weren't vaccinated, get the disease and didn't die.
    Bilious, choleric, sanguine and phlegmatic

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Qualify that seeming nonsensical statement please. What is a vaccine for if not to guarantee you don't catch whatever it is you have been vaccinated against.

'You are less likely to die from catching the infection you just got vaccinated against, but got it anyway.?' 'I was vaccinated, but I caught the disease. but I didn't die.' How about the uncounted millions who weren't vaccinated, get the disease and didn't die.
    No vaccine is 100% effective. However the few who have gotten it after the vaccination have had really mild cases
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green