Thread: Photos of Atkin "Twilight" and/or a copy of Motor Boating April 1952?

Question Photos of Atkin "Twilight" and/or a copy of Motor Boating April 1952?

Hi ho, all!

I recently ordered plans for the Atkin sloops "Twilight" and "Little Bear." While there are a few photos around of "Little Bear" (misidentified in Practical Small Boat Designs as "Great Bear," a larger boat for the same client), I have yet to find any of "Twilight."

[I deleted my request for help with the Motor Boating back issue since I was able to get a .pdf copy. Still looking for a photo, though!]

Thanks and regards,

Matthew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cluttonfred; 03-05-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Default Re: Photos of Atkin "Twilight" and/or a copy of Motor Boating April 1952?

There is a photo that looks like Atkin's "Twilight" on page 68 of: Weiss, Harvey. Sailing Small Boats. Reading: Addison-Wesley, 1967. Print. The photo is credited to Peter Barlow.

I built Atkin's "Little Bear (formerly Great Bear) in Aluminum" to a construction plan he drew for me.
    See my YouTube Video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVS5uCJgdx0

In Atkin's Practical Small Boat Designs, there is a reference to "Great Bear" featured in National Fisherman, about 20 years prior to 1983. I would love to see that feature. If anyone knows how to find it, please let me know.

Thanks and regards,

--mattsonc

Default Re: Photos of Atkin "Twilight" and/or a copy of Motor Boating April 1952?

Thanks! I have still have dreams of tackling "Twilight," likely with the tabernacle mast arrangement of "Little Bear," though not for a few years yet. Your Mr. Hamilton looks wonderful in the pics! It looks like you lowered the cabin top of the main house. Any other major changes? Did you use the forward, offset engine placement of the plans? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons of the design in practice. Cheers, Matthew

Update 29 Feb 2016 - I got my copy of Sailing Small Boats by Weiss, but unfortunately that's a photo of "Little Bear" ("Great Bear,") not "Twilight." No worries, I'll still enjoy the book, but I am still looking for a photo of a completed "Twilight."
    Last edited by cluttonfred; 02-29-2016 at 03:26 AM.
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

Sorry to raise an old thread, but a question for Matthew Long: can you tell me where the extra length in Little Bear is made up?
    And where did you get the .pdf of Motorboating?

Replying almost a year later, but Little Bear is an overall larger design in length and breadth and has enough space in the cabin to fit in a wood stove on one side and a matching cabinet on the other. The links to the Atkin site pages in my initial post give a pretty good idea.

Personally, I don't like the quarter berths right under the companionway and while I like both designs, Twilight is big enough for me. I think I could manage to find a spot for a little heater of some kind regardless.

While I have fun daydreaming about major changes, in the end I'd likely built it 99% as drawn, the only thing that gives me pause is the long exposed prop shaft, especially if I need to trailer the boat. That could be managed with a custom trailer but I'd be tempted to go with a four-stroke outboard and gain the "engine room" for other uses.

I think I was able to track down the Motorboating issues in a library online, I don't remember now, but if you send me a PM I'd be happy to send you the PDF.

Quote Originally Posted by scottgze View Post
    Sorry to raise an old thread, but a question for Matthew Long: can you tell me where the extra length in Little Bear is made up?
    And where did you get the .pdf of Motorboating?
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)