Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56

Thread: My winter projects for this winter.

Default Re: My winter projects for this winter.

End of another year of work down at the boatyard and in the workshop. It has not been the year many or us would have liked or wish to have.However, we can all take a break for a couple of weeks and recharge our minds and bodies and wish for abetter year ahead. I am today closing down my boatyard and workshop and will not be back until the 4th of January 2021. I hope all of you out there have a safe and peaceful Christmas and we all can look forward to a better New Year in 2021. Bye for now and see you in 2021.

Regards

Simon and his team at J-Star Marine Services

As of Monday this coming week it will be time to go back to work and make a start on sorting out the workshop and the yard so that I can move around the projects in the workshop and out in the yard so that the more pressing projects can get worked on and the projects that have been put on hold can be put outside and into storage. The first job to start this coming week, to move out the blue speed boat out of the workshop and turn it over so the work on the deck can be started on at a later date. Before that can be done the small matter of moving a conversion project on its trailer has to be moved from outside of the workshop doors so the speed boat can come out. The conversion project will have to be moved out on to the road outside the yard to give access to the workshop and room to move the speed boat trailer into position so that it can go under the speed boat and move it out of the workshop. Once it is out and turned over it can have a large cover put over the boat and put into storage while the conversion project can come in the workshop and dried out and worked on as it is required for Easter This year to do some local bird watching and nature visits around the local area. Although, the conversion project appears to be a major project, once the floor bearers and engine beds are fitted the major construction work will be done. The only other construction work inside the boat will be making will be making a back seat and side benches and an engine box for the new engine installation. Then make a new rudder and tiller. Then later on sand back paint work on the outside of the hull to change from its last paint colour to the new owner's choice of colour which is a light blue. So major boat movements to start the year before I can get underway with the conversion project. While that underway I have other project get on with the Cornish Crabber refit, namely get the mast support post glassed on to the centreboard case and the two deck beams above the mast support fitted and glassed in. Then the owner wishes to fabricate the lifting system which will be fitted to the top of the base part of the mast support post. That way the mast support has two different but equally important jobs to do.

There will be the Morgan Giles 30 to keep doing work on and also the 8 ft dinghy to be moulded and the Classic Gaff cutter to get work done on, so I am going to be busy person over the coming months.

Hi Simon,

it`s good to see you`re coming through the "C" crisis and have plenty of work to keep you busy for a while.

Wishing you a HEALTHY and Prosperous New Year,

Alan (trying to keep clear of crowds of idiots in Germany)

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your best wishes for the new year from Germany. I am going to try and keep away from the idiots in my country like you are in your country. In the end we will see the back of this crisis and put it behind us all and get back to the way we were before this situation got hold of us.

Fair winds and happy landfalls for us all

Regards

Simon

The picnic boat is now in the workshop so that it can start to dry out before it is lifted off its trailer so that the work can get underway on its refit

Bit of a tight squeeze down the side of the boat until work gets underway on the car

Car restorations undertaken as well in these difficult times

The dinghy mould as had to go outside for a while the picnic boat gets its refit.

The speed boat that has been in the workshop for while a long time is now outside while the picnic boat is refitted and then that will be brought back in the workshop, however that will be done when the boat is turned over and sitting on its keel again.

The first two floor bearers back together as one unit, the only problem now is that the boat hull is back in its correct shape the floors do not fit the hull as well as them should and will need reshaping to fit back into the correct position The level shows that the forward floor is a small bit higher than it should be so that will be the first place to start togetthe floors fitted down to the correct height and position These are the floors for the aft end of the boat which will have to be cut about before they are refitted in the hull and glassed back into their correct position

The first two floor bearers back together as one unit, the only problem now is that the boat hull is back in its correct shape the floors do not fit the hull as well as them should and will need reshaping to fit back into the correct position

The level shows that the forward floor is a small bit higher than it should be so that will be the first place to start togetthe floors fitted down to the correct height and position

These are the floors for the aft end of the boat which will have to be cut about before they are refitted in the hull and glassed back into their correct position

It has been a bit of a up and down week down at the boatyard and in the workshop, the weather been unsettled, one minute it is quiet mild and the next it is freezing cold. However, that is the way the winter going in the UK, So many of the jobs I have in and around the boatyard and the workshop have been put on hold because the conditions are not stabilisable enough for long enough to ensure the final outcome will be up to spec. So in the meantime I will be doing a bit of small jobs which I have been putting to one side for just these sort of times when doing other jobs need long time to do and need more settled temperatures.

So get on with small jobs such as making paddles and oars, it is
    a way of making use of ash I have in stock, I am making a new range of bespoke paddles.

I can make them with different tops and length of blades depending on customer requirements, So give Simon a call today if you are in the market for a paddle so that you are not up a creek without a paddle.

I might even do a bit of wood turning on my Lathe, making some ash belaying pins and other small items for small boats. Also do some more cleaning up the workshop and machinery maintenance both on hand tools and power tools while I have the time to do them before the end of the lockdown comes and we get busy again.

The engine is a good fit between the two remaining thwarts with just enough room to lower the engine down lower enough to run the exhaust pipe under the aft thwart

There is not going to be much clearance under the engine however, there is going to be reinforcement under the engine when the inner keel is refitted and glassed over and the engine beds are glassed into the boat.

A neat and tight fit when it is fitted

Having made a thin plywood pattern of the permanent engine bed matrix it is time to get it in the correct position The aft section is going to have a cut out to let the propeller shaft run through however the rest will be at the same height as the rest of matrix

Having made a thin plywood pattern of the permanent engine bed matrix it is time to get it in the correct position

The aft section is going to have a cut out to let the propeller shaft run through however the rest will be at the same height as the rest of matrix

After cleaning out the old filler out of the centreboard slot and degreasing the area it was time to fill the old centreboard slot with epoxy resin and micro balloons filler.

Once it as cured off then the whole area will get a further sanding back and the area will have 3 layers of 600g's of CSM to strengthen up the area.

The forward part of the inner keel dry fitted and ready to be bedded down on a bed of thickened epoxy and then glassed into position

Now that the inner keel is dry fitted to the bottom of the hull, so it is ready to get bedded down on thickened epoxy and the glassed over and then the floor bearers will be glassed into position to strengthen before the next stage is started. The engine beds to be made and fitted.

Yard News

We are now midway through February and looking forward to a better year with new products coming online in 2021.We are looking forward to meeting our client's on Zoom and by email over the coming weeks and months to discuss their requirements for their boats' refits
    The past year has been challenging for the team at J-Star Marine Services with The Covid 19 pandemic causing so much disruption to all our lives both working and our personal. However,we at J-Star Marine Services have been able to weather the storm in good shape and are looking forward to the New Year with renewed hope for a better year and putting the past year behind us and building on the lessons learned over the past year.
    We have a good ongoing work load with a number of long term projects underway with Easter launching as well as a number of short term projects underway as well.

In order to fix the floor boards down in position, there was a timber infill fixed in the keel channel which was epoxied in position.The outboard inner pad shaped and fixed in position with thickened epoxy The forward seat being set up in position with the aid of a chock at the base and leveled up The last part of the infill glassed over to seal in the infillThe outboard pad being glassed over and then the aft seat can be put in position using the same method as the forward seat with a chock temporarily fix to the infill, so while it is glassed in position it will not move out of position The aft seat like the forward seat masked up ready for the seat to be glassed in position and then the matting can be trimmed

In order to fix the floor boards down in position, there was a timber infill fixed in the keel channel which was epoxied in position.

The outboard inner pad shaped and fixed in position with thickened epoxy

The forward seat being set up in position with the aid of a chock at the base and leveled up

The last part of the infill glassed over to seal in the infill

The outboard pad being glassed over and then the aft seat can be put in position using the same method as the forward seat with a chock temporarily fix to the infill, so while it is glassed in position it will not move out of position

The aft seat like the forward seat masked up ready for the seat to be glassed in position and then the matting can be trimmed

Fibreglassing in along the top edge of the both the forward and aft seats

While the fibreglass is curing it is possible to cut along the edge of the fibreglass to cut a neat edge along the top of the seats

Once all the fibreglassing is done on the seats the fibreglass will get a coat of grey flow coat to seal the surface and make the seat watertight.

Setting out the floorboards position in the bottom of the boat so that we can make up the floorboards

There is going to be a good size area of floorboards as the bottom of the hull is fairly flat

The last of the fibreglassing is now done of the seats, so the seat are going to be part of the boat's buoyancy as well as seating within the boat.

The Hardy Pilot toilet Bulkhead and doors are now cut and will be edged with teak edging before refitting into the boat once the cabin and hull linings are refitted to the boat.

The hull carpets are now cut ready to be glued back in position and the small bulkhead panel is covered in the same hull carpeting as it was originally done.

The gunwales and rubbing strakes are now down to their finished width and depth and will now have an routered edge put on the outer edges top and bottom

The floorboards are being made up and just need the edges run over with a router to take the sharp edges off them before they are made up.

ensuring the top of the dinghy is clear of any obstructions and is ready to have the steamed wood bend round the top of the dinghy hull

The first pair of gunwale/rubbing strakes ready to putin the steam box for an hour to make them flexible to bend round the hull

The clamps at the ready

The first pair of gunwales and rubbing strake steamed into position

The second just about to go in the steam box so that they can be bend round on the port side

Now the second gunwale/rubbing is steamed into position, it is now time to let them cool off over night and then fix them in position with copper nails and roves after they are trimmed and fitted in position

The starboard gunwale / Rubbing strake starting to be fixed in position with copper nails and roves

Once that all the nails and cliched in place the any of the hull which is above the gunwale/ rubbing strake will be sandeddown so that it is level with the top of the gunwale/ rubbing strake and then the whole thing will be cleared up andthe first coat of varnish will be applied to seal the surface

As spring as just sprang then the boatyard and workshop go into overdrive with a number of jobs all coming together. The refit of the Hardy Pilot is well underway with the holes in the galley unit getting filled up with custom made panels to fill in the holes where a former owner had cut holes to fit door in the unit to use the area under the galley area for storage. Which the present owner wishes to return the boat to its former three berth layout.
    The Hardy Pilot is also having a new toilet bulkhead and doors which will be edged. The the head linings being recovered with the same material as the cabin sidelinings which have been glued in position over the weekend and the new Perspex cabin windows and rubbers have been fitted, they just need sealant putting between the rubber and the windows and the rubber and the cabin side and then the insert fitted to finish off that job.
    It as also had a new cabin floor fitted and glassed in place and just needs flowcoating when it as cured. So this Hardy Pilot is have a major refit to get it ready for the new season when it is possible to get out on the water in the summer.

The8 ft. dinghy is coming along with the centre thwart being made and the blocks epoxied in position which will then be glassed over and the thwart fixed to the glassed in blocks.

Starting to set out the floor board pieces and when the other pieces are machined up the floorboards will be then fixed together.

Then the other boats in and around the workshop and the boatyard can be worked on as well

Having made up the centre thwarty and the floor boards, it was time to give the floor boards a coat of Teak oil and the centre thwart, the outboard pad and the rowlock blocks their first few coats of thinned varnish

The inside of the hull got its coats of grey flowcoat to finish off the inside

The centre thwart in position just needs screwing down in place

The floor boards are now in the dinghy just needing the centre batten fixing down to secure the floor boards in position

The items left to fix are the rowlock blocks and the outboard pad and then fit the rope fender under the gunwale and the knees and bow ring and finally the overall cover

The gunwales and rubbing strakes getting more coats of varnish and the centre thwart now fitted, also the floor boards with their centre batten fixed and turnbuckle fixed to hold the floor board in position

The oars need their protective sleeves fitted after the rowlock blocks fixed in their position to get the sleeve in the correct position

The outboard pad now fitted and just needs the fixing holes plugging with hardwood plugs and then the pad and the rest of the boat will get the rest of the varnish applied over the coming days

Once the rope fender avirres then that will be fitted to finish off the outside of the hull and give the rubbing strake protection and also the owners main boat.

Final fitting of the overall cover and the rope fender and now the dinghy is awaiting its delivery to its owner

The toilet bulkhead and the doors getting its thinned coats of varnish

The trims getting their of thinned varnish just five more coats of varnish and then they will be masked up with protective covering before going back to the owner's boat

The galley unit bulkhead trim panel now recovered as it was originally done in the day

The dinghy is now loaded and ready for the short trip to its new home

A proud boat builder

The short cross floor bearers are now fibreglassed into position and just need the excess fibreglass matting removed before the whole area gets flow coated with grey flowcoat

The last of the major floor bearers now fibreglassed into position

A complete set of Hardy Pilot 20 roof head lining panels recovered and a new set of toilet doors and bulkhead ready to be taken back to the clients boat to be refitted in position.

The picnic boats' old floor boards which will be reused and modified where necessary to fit the new layout of the floor

The 8 ft badly damaged dinghy which needs a complete overhaul starting with the holes in the hull and the new seats and centre thwart and new rubbing strakes and gunwales

Found most of the old floor boards, so making use of has much of the old floor boards as possible and only using new plywood where necessary

They will need some modifying to fit the new floor bearers as the floor plan as changed from before

A view out of the wheelhouse from the steering position along the long foredeck which at the moment does not have its main mast or guardrails fitted which will be restored and hen refitted at a later stage of the restorationThe view forward from the starboard side showing off the butterfly skylights and forecabin hatch which in time will be removed and restored and re-varnished to look like they were when she was originally launched in 1948The original compass which is going to go to be restored by a compass restorer The masts for the boat which apart from a bit of age damage are in reasonable condition which with a good sanding and lot of varnish will look good once more and will be able bed on new sails and be able set sail on the high seas again A couple of family members heling get the restoration project underway and I am sure there are going to be friends to help along the way

A view out of the wheelhouse from the steering position along the long foredeck which at the moment does not have its main mast or guardrails fitted which will be restored and hen refitted at a later stage of the restoration

The view forward from the starboard side showing off the butterfly skylights and forecabin hatch which in time will be removed and restored and re-varnished to look like they were when she was originally launched in 1948

The original compass which is going to go to be restored by a compass restorer

The masts for the boat which apart from a bit of age damage are in reasonable condition which with a good sanding and lot of varnish will look good once more and will be able bed on new sails and be able set sail on the high seas again

A couple of family members heling get the restoration project underway and I am sure there are going to be friends to help along the way

The original heads in the aft cabin with its sink and original toilet

Having taken off the ensign and flag box off the main bulkhead we can see the colour of the original wood finish.

Simple and down to earth engine controls, I will looking to find if the instruments can restored or new original looking gauges can be found

The ships wheel is from the period of her launch and cam from Simpson & Lawrence of Glasgow

The forward bilge area which is full oily water and dirt of other types which will be the first area to be cleared out so that bilges can be cleaned and repainted

The main saloon/ cabin starboard side an area which will need restoring back to it former glory and condition

Some old speed and depth equipment

one of the boats former owners long since flown the nest

The galley area port side with an area for a gimballed cooker

another view of the forward bilge with a pond pump laying in the bilge which was got to work and was able to remove much of the water

The forecabin which not original and there should be to bunk and a toilet in this area

There is a spilt plank below the rubbing strake between two butt joints which will need to be investigated as a matter of priority

It has been a busy couple of weeks visiting other marinas and boatyards around England in four different counties as far from each other as can be Somerset, Kent, Yorkshire and finally Lancashire. Each of the visits was to a different type of boat and different types of repairs. Thankfully this coming week it is back to my own yard and workshop to get on with the boats in the workshop and in the yard that need working on to get them back to their owners. The work in the workshop is varied from painting decks on a GRP yacht to converting an old rowing boat into a motor launch to go bird watching to removing varnish off a dinghy to building a new 8ft. GRP Dinghy to repairing the holes in another 8 ft. GRP dinghy. So you could say I have my hands full of boat repairs for a while to come.