Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 89

Thread: "Skål Sandy!” a Caledonia Yawl Build in Cream Ridge NJ

Default Re: "Skål Sandy!” a Caledonia Yawl Build in Cream Ridge NJ

Well, yesterday was a launch to see if she floats, test the trolling motor setup and get comfortable with the Norwegian tiller. All went very well for my first ever trailer launching. In the past I've always launched with a hoist.
    I did not disconnect the trailer wench until I was sure that I did not need to quickly retrieve the boat. Another goal was to get my wife comfortable with the boat, that was a big success. We tooled around the lake at a whopping 3mph, had the centerboard down so the boat would turn on a dime with the rudder. The simple set up for raising and lower the centerboard worked just fine. When we were done the bilge was dry. Now I need to call my sailing buddy for a real sea trial with full sails.IMG_5684.jpegIMG_5689.jpegIMG_5331.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

Lovely looking build. I have the study plans for the Caledonia Yawl, and have plans in the post for a Somes Sound 12 1/2. Both are beautiful boats, which do I build is the question? I like the idea of trailing/launching/retrieving a 200kg boat rather than a 630kg one, but then the CY is rather long for my build space (it would squeeze in) so I shall continue to procrastinate..................................... ...
    Regards Neil

Excellent! Congratulations on your launch.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Congratulations on your launching!
    Anxiously awaiting your sailing report coming up.

Congratulations! She looks great. Hope to see more soon.

Mike

Congratulations on pulling a dry hull boat out of the water 1st time around :-) She will sail like a dream :-)

One question - have you used an electric outboard?

Quote Originally Posted by neil.henderson View Post
    Congratulations on pulling a dry hull boat out of the water 1st time around :-) She will sail like a dream :-)

One question - have you used an electric outboard?
    using a 55 lb thrust trolling motor. I made a faux transom on the port side just behind the aft bulkhead. The is are photos in my building thread. Works fine.
    Steamboat

Lovely looking build. I have the study plans for the Caledonia Yawl, and have plans in the post for a Somes Sound 12 1/2. Both are beautiful boats, which do I build is the question? I like the idea of trailing/launching/retrieving a 200kg boat rather than a 630kg one, but then the CY is rather long for my build space (it would squeeze in) so I shall continue to procrastinate..................................... ...
    Regards Neil

i Han about 6 inches on each end I could open the garage door for more space on one end.
    Steamboat

Looks great! Congratulations!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "
    The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything."
    Roosevelt, Theodore

Great to see your boat afloat! Skal Sandy!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - I can do about 1 foot at either end..............................now you've got me thinking................

One question if I may. How do you feel about raising the mast (I'm guessing you have the free standing mast with no stays/shrouds). I can raise the mast on my Gannet fairly easily but it is only 15' long. Can you raise the mast by yourself?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - I can do about 1 foot at either end..............................now you've got me thinking................
    I built my 18' boat in a narrow 19' long garage. The stem was just at the door, and there was a hanging shelf over the transom that I had to duck under.

The ability to open the garage door and work that way (which I did almost all the time) made it all work out just fine. So...

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

One question if I may. How do you feel about raising the mast (I'm guessing you have the free standing mast with no stays/shrouds). I can raise the mast on my Gannet fairly easily but it is only 15' long. Can you raise the mast by yourself?
    The mast is hollow and not that heavy. With the boat on the trailer it is fairly easy to place the bottom end into the mast box and raise it buy just walking forwards while feeding it down into the mast box. Not hard but would be more shaky on the water.
    Steamboat

We had a great day out on Great Bay in New Jersey. Put in at Great Bay Marina and trolling motored out and raised the sails. Started out fully reefed and that was a good thing. New boat and though I am not a novice I ain't no expert. New unfamiliar boat and rust sailor thought the conservative approach would be best. I learned a lot starting from preping for towing, how to get down a skinny laugh ramp and raise the sail with a good wind. The fun part was how quickly the boat moved fully reefed. Good wind out of the south an my guess a stead 15 knots, small white caps and some spray. Just a guess. The boat is just as I hoped but there are some more bugs to work out. Part of the fun.
    IMG_5727.jpgIMG_5725.jpeg
    Steamboat

Amazing! Looks really great. Congratulations!

Mike