Page 901 of 1448 FirstFirst ... 40180185189190090190291195110011401 ... LastLast
Results 31,501 to 31,535 of 50677

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I bought a cedar wardrobe from Wyee through Gumtree yesterday! I love plain cedar and silky oak furniture. I also just bought 3 lengths of 1" x 13" x 13' cedar. I paid $10 per ft for the planks and $500 for the wardrobe. Cedar furniture is generally much cheaper in Qld and Vic than in NSW. Not popular at present as all that faux Danish veneered crap is in vogue but all that will change soon and we'll be trendy as a ridiculous Japanese phone app.

Rick

It looks like the worst of the weather has passed. There was sugnificant wind blowing up the gulf for a while and it looked pretty nasty stuff to be out in. Hopefully nobody was. Now the rain is turning into river and creek flows, and several inner suburbs are getting 'innundation' warnings, and even flood evacuation advice. We're hoping it calms down enough for an old blokes outing tomorrow in the council van. Fingers crossed.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 09-14-2016 at 03:37 AM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Did it blow the crema out of the coffee? Photos please if it did.

Rick

Greg, you're welcome to it, and it can wait until Christmas.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Very cosy down in Balias cabin, sharing a coffee and a sanga with Bruce. It's a nice sheltered spot we have, a few boats elsewhere in the marina looked to be taking a bit of a battering. On the way home I had a call from a neighbor, had to suit up and get the Kanga out to clear some mudslides from their driveway. Trees down all over the place, roads looking like rivers, it's seriously wet. I think we've had that 80 mm no worries at all, just constant solid rain for 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post

Rick
    We had our coffee in the comfort of the settees in Balia's saloon, away from the wind, in the gently rocking care of the ship. The soothing of the regular 'blip blip blip' of the percolator instilled an air of mindful anticipation, as the rich aroma filled the air. Coffee poured, the crema floating in slow circles in the mugs, then rich full cream milk rising in clouds and patterns in the mottled colours of a well-worn cappuchin habit. The only way to sit out a gale.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Greg, you're welcome to it, and it can wait until Christmas.
    Thanks John, I'll call you when I'm home.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    We had our coffee in the comfort of the settees in Balia's saloon, away from the wind, in the gently rocking care of the ship. The soothing of the regular 'blip blip blip' of the percolator instilled an air of mindful anticipation, as the rich aroma filled the air. Coffee poured, the crema floating in slow circles in the mugs, then rich full cream milk rising in clouds and patterns in the mottled colours of a well-worn cappuchin habit. The only way to sit out a gale.
    Actually I put the percolator on the stove and got distracted, next thing Bruce was leaping to his feet as the pot boiled over, dousing the metho stove, I got there first, removed the pot from the stove, escaping a burned hand by maybe 2 degrees on the hot handle, relit the stove with a mildly surprising WHOOMPH as the escaping fumes caught the spark, got the pot back on a reduced flame and some semblance of order was reinstated. For all that the coffee, even with UHT milk which we keep aboard, was quite delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Actually I put the percolator on the stove and got distracted, next thing Bruce was leaping to his feet as the pot boiled over, dousing the metho stove, I got there first, removed the pot from the stove, escaping a burned hand by maybe 2 degrees on the hot handle, relit the stove with a mildly surprising WHOOMPH as the escaping fumes caught the spark, got the pot back on a reduced flame and some semblance of order was reinstated. For all that the coffee, even with UHT milk which we keep aboard, was quite delicious.
    I liked my version of the story too. Poetical license, I calls it.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 09-14-2016 at 05:28 AM.

I liked my version of the story too. Peotical license, I calls it.
    well you had me....you should be running a coffee van Bruce
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Rick
    You want photos of blown crema? I'm sure google could find some, if you cared to look

I've put Little Egret for sale on Gumtree. Of course, if anyone here knows anyone who might be interested, you could point them that way.

A very pleasant day today, a mate took me for a run in his 4m tinny up to Jumpinpin, the bar between Nth and South Stradbroke. Beautiful weather and really marvelous waters. JIM will see a lot of those channels ! About as perfect a small boat cruising grounds as could be found .

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    well you had me....you should be running a coffee van Bruce
    I found through Facebook the other day a business in the Bahamas I think, where they have fitted out a yacht as a pizza kitchen. They anchor in a bay somewhere and look after the boaties. Great idea I reckon. Nowhere really to do it around here, but a place like Auckland harbour which is wall to wall boats.......

Sounds very pleasant and sensible! I must admit to just a tinge of disappointment though ....

But I do hope there aren't too many negative consequences of the storm around your neck of the woods.

Rick

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    A very pleasant day today, a mate took me for a run in his 4m tinny up to Jumpinpin, the bar between Nth and South Stradbroke. Beautiful weather and really marvelous waters. JIM will see a lot of those channels ! About as perfect a small boat cruising grounds as could be found .

Excellent!

Rick

I've put Little Egret for sale on Gumtree. Of course, if anyone here knows anyone who might be interested, you could point them that way.
    Will do. Very sorry you need to sell this one John. An ad in the Australian Boatbuilder magazine might be worthwhile and another in Afloat.

Rick

Thanks Rick, shall have a look at those. I imagine the whole process will probably take a while.

Well, that was a surprise. My old business made up the bulk of the Gruen show tonight. I put all of that together 30 years ago... and nothing's changed, except their market share. I took it from 4% to 10%... and following on, they're at 40% and growing now. Nice to see it get some recognition.

I half watched, 20 years in advertising have made me rather allergic. Clever and funny, as it is I am cynical enough. Liked the first pitch though, a yearly lottery for the day. They've probably got the barrel they used for the draft dates tucked away somewhere……..

I found through Facebook the other day a business in the Bahamas I think, where they have fitted out a yacht as a pizza kitchen. They anchor in a bay somewhere and look after the boaties. Great idea I reckon. Nowhere really to do it around here, but a place like Auckland harbour which is wall to wall boats.......
    Possibly the Whitsundays - I've lost count of the number of times that I planned and discussed with others the idea of setting up a milk/bread/fresh veg/newspapers/Woolworths orders delivery/coffee van etc service for yachties and campers in the Whitsundays - using a small jet drive aluminium landing barge. Just big enough and versatile enough to carry a vehicle or water trailer and to deliver anything that may be required quickly around any of the islands - i.e. genset, water, mechanic with parts, tools and vehicle etc and to drop off and pick up campers around the area.

I used a guy, who had such a barge, quite often for getting gear to Hayman quickly (particularly urgent boat parts and OEM tech's) and it was a great little barge that'd do about 20-25 knots loaded. But he hadn't twigged to the other uses that he could have been applying the barge to and I didn't suggest them in case I eventually took it on myself.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I have seen a pic of a coffee boat somewhere, a tricked up barge on sponsons with a colourful canopy. Coffee machine, I think a microwave(?) or some such and a fridge. Can't remember about propulsion, but it had 2 tiny cafe tables and chairs.
    Found these.
    Sydney,

http://sydneyphoto.blogspot.com.au/s...tsford%20wharf

pics worth a look.

It would appear my muse is back. Just added just under 500 words to my children's story which has added the new character Moggil, the eater of spiders and master of the frost.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

Spider eater eh?
    Chocolate covered?

Moggil likes them raw and alive.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Spider eater eh?
    Chocolate covered?

Strangely I have no desire to ever end up in a place where I maybe required to eat one for politeness sake.

I though it might make a good book cover Gary…………….. or maybe a wall mural………………..

Yuk!

Yes, yuk! In all the years working in VN I was often confronted with horrible cuisine and obliged to indulge but, thankfully, spiders were never on the menu. Apart from each other, though, I think it's about the only living thing the Vietnamese don't eat! But I'll bet Vietnamese visiting Cambodia would be keen to try it.

I should point out that most of the food in VN is really nice! It's when you're touring around with bureaucrats who insist on being presented with local speciality dishes that the really disgusting stuff emerges!

Rick

Here's a useful bit of kit, personally I'd like a bit more lifting power and maybe snap shackles on the sling points.
    https://aussie-jackstrap.myshopify.com/

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I though it might make a good book cover Gary…………….. or maybe a wall mural………………..
    Mounted sideways it may pass as a sort of Blue Poles.

Yes, yuk! In all the years working in VN I was often confronted with horrible cuisine and obliged to indulge but, thankfully, spiders were never on the menu.
    When we were there a few years ago our local Vietnamese guide, an educated and cultivated young man, was showing us Vietnamese cuisine as we wandered through one of the markets. He seemed to feel obliged to demonstrate that people really did eat things like fried cockroaches and so on, and demonstrated it to us by himself eating quite a bit of the revolting stuff. Finally, with a determined air of self-sacrifice he managed to work his way (eventually) through a fried tarantula. But you could tell the poor devil's heart really wasn't in it....
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

I have my grandparents' old cedar wardrobe sitting downstairs on the verandah, storing paint and gathering dust. It's probably from the 1860s to 90s, and is made from large slabs of cedar. The sides are 2100 high and 450 wide and 20mm thick. The top is the same, not quite as long. The door panels are 10-12mm thick I'd say and also about 450 wide, but a bit shorter because they're let into the door edges. In other words there's a lot of nice cedar in it.

It's hopeless to try to sell that plain old furniture, and the local antique store will only offer a pittance to take it away and they'll then probably sell the wood. I'd rather give it away to someone here if they could make use of it or more particularly the nice timber. Send me a message if anyone is interested.
    If its Australian made using local cedar then - and i dont know its condition - in the eyes of some people it would be a sacrilegious act if you were to break up a piece of local history.
    Locally made wardrobes of the scale you describe (2.1m!) are rare and reach high prices at auction because of the rarity of authentic 19th century Australian furniture (think $1K-$5K or even more depending on condition and provenance). While it may currently just be a home for spiders and slowly hardening paint for you it could be treasure to others.
    Again, i dont know its condition or appearance - and it may look like a dunny on legs - but maybe a photo to Mossgreen auctioneers might provide some insight on both its cultural and financial value.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Here's a useful bit of kit, personally I'd like a bit more lifting power and maybe snap shackles on the sling points.
    https://aussie-jackstrap.myshopify.com/
    I agree that it could be quite a useful bit of kit. But I'm not too sure how long the nylon rollers would last.

However --

"The friction that traditionally plagues block & tackle devices has all but been eliminated by mounting the roller axles on ball bearings." And in the clip he says, "So you're doing away with all your friction, all your wear..."

Oh, really?

(And wasn't somebody looking for an anvil a few days ago?)
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.