Rick
    I know stuff
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I know stuff too! In fact I'm often told I know stuff all about all sorts of things!

Is it on the website?

Rick

I once knew stuff. Dunno what it was though. Actually I know that I have decided to swap the Merc for a boat-towing vehicle. Sort of like Mud Crab but scaled down to suburban size.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Mud Crab would defs put Nanjera in the drink pretty much anywhere, but probably not be practical to take me to work as well. However, I DO like Mud Crab!
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Don't want to jinx myself but I think I might be buying the ply for my dinghy next week.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

yes it is...
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

how much?

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Anyone want to buy a 2001 Merc CLK 200 K ?? Lovely to drive, not a tow/launch vehicle though.
    Ha! Good luck with that, Bruce. I've got a supernumerary CLK230 that no-one wants to buy either. I had a tow-bar put on it (at great expense) to tow Aileen Louisa around and never once used it because I sold AL in the meanwhile. Now people seem to think that the tow-bar means I've buggered the engine by dragging around horse-floats or front-end loaders or something....

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    yes it is...
    So it is! I didn't know Keith had his own boat on the website. It's a pretty 'over the top' website but the boat really is looking terrific in the flesh ..... er, wood!

Rick

Mike, take the tow bar off. Then next time you advertise you can be sure some bugger will be saying , if only it had a tow bar....

My son Will broke his wrist playing pre season football on the weekend. Looks like I have a week of gardening work ahead of me!

I got around to putting the new rego numbers on Nanjera on the weekend. 150 mm high letters in vinyl stick ons were going to set me back $35 so I took to it with black enamel paint and an artist brush. I invented a new font, Derro Sans, and after a bit of a shaky start I got stuck into it. A light beer helped steady the hand. The numbers must be legible at 100 metres and at that distance they look OK. Job done!

There's work out there for you as a signwriter Bruce, or at least doing really neat graffiti !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Pete, it has to be seen up close to be appreciated. Alas I don't have such a photo to share

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Mike, take the tow bar off. Then next time you advertise you can be sure some bugger will be saying , if only it had a tow bar....
    Good thinking, Phil!
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

A memorable weekend spent up the Tweed River. Anchored for the night backing onto an expansive shoal bay area,with millions of large baitfish churning the waters around Wee Barkie. This feeding frenzy continued well into the night, and I can only compare the activity to feeding time at a fish farm. Despite Nelie's best efforts she ended up with only a small brim, we also caught several large sand crabs of the boat and a good sized muddy in a pre-set pot at Fingal. Of other interest where some of the rather large mangrove trees on the small islands, our next trip will centre around Stotts island nature reserve, another river bend further upstream Cheers Tom

Mike, why don't you send you towbar to Bruce? He likes getting things in the post, particularly boat related things; he needs one that will fit his current drive and you need to sell yours without said beasty still attached.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

A tow bar on the CLK won't make it capable of towing the TS on a trailer over the sand at Largs and other beaches for launch and retrieval. A good thought, Dunc, but Mike can save himself the postage and hang onto the tow bar. Yes I do like receiving and sending things in the post, in fact I have a couple of copies of Drift here for the interested reader, for a tiny fee.

Big, fat tyres!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Doesn't the club have a little old tractor to save Mercs from the salt ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Doesn't the club have a little old tractor to save Mercs from the salt ?
    "The Club" that I am not a member of operates on Saturdays, and has a small 4WD and a cool tractor available to members for launching and retrieving, for set hours on Saturdays when the club has racing scheduled. I asked about the practicalities of joining the club and using the facilities to support a cruising, rather than racing, TS sailor. What is on offer is that I can be launched with the other TSs, around 12:30pm, and I can follow the fleet around the course if I like as they race around the course, and I can be retrieved when the racers are retrieved. I did, for a little while, try to explain that I might be wanting to do other things at other times with the TS and it would be great if I would be able to use the club tractor at other times than those, but it really didn't compute at all. For someone who has never done anything but race dinghies round the buoys each weekend, the notions that go with cruising sailing just don't exist in that mindset. So yes the club does have a tractor and other infrastructure that would do the job really well, but no it's not available to me, so no I haven't paid club fees and joined. I sometimes crew as a visitor there.

There are other clubs along the coast. The obvious ones that support cruising are the CYC and the Yacht Squadron. The hard-stand parking comes in around $1,000 to $1,500 per year for a TS, and that allows access to the launching facilities. The club membership fees are quite high. They are out of range really. There are sailing clubs at Grange, Henley beach and West Beach but I haven't contacted them yet to ask about memberships and facilities, so I should do that. There are other clubs around in the river and behind the mangroves, but they all entail about an hour of motoring or motor-sailing to get from there to the gulf. Sort of defeats the notion of convenient light weight cruising. At this stage a more suitable launch vehicle than the Merc or the Astra would open up a world of convenient options, right at my doorstep, as the launching beach at Largs is public access, and is so close to our house that it was no great task to wheel the Mirror Dinghy there by hand to launch off the beach.

A 4WD would also open up the possibility of towing to Pt Hughes, Edithburgh, Second Valley, Coffin Bay, Western Port Bay, Sydney, Pt Stephens, Myall Lakes, etc etc etc and would make remote camping/sailing trips worth doing for James, SWMBO and myself.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 03-24-2014 at 01:36 AM. Reason: last para added

I think someone at the club once 'borrowed' the tractor at Largs on a non-racing day to go for a cruise, and got it swamped and bogged. Much grief and drama ensued apparently, along with righteous indignation and shame-faced embarrassment. That's one of the reasons I was given for the restrictions on use. Apparently it was a TS 16 sailor too.

yep, and Portland area, maybe Portland - Pt Fairy, and places we've never been and haven't yet thought of

It seems that a small 4wd would be a Very Good Thing Bruce, get a cheap one though and preferably from inland. Salt has a very nasty effect on steel cars ... I don't know how common rusted out 4wds are in SA but up here they pretty common.
    Grateful Dead

Bruce there are some public ramps. Nth haven being the closest. The fee will be less than the cost of a 4wd and your merc is perfectly good for road towing and concrete ramps. Just sayin. And your sign writing skills are pretty bloody good mate

Yeah, we've used the ramp near the Squadron twice (free!) and at Snowden's Beach once ($7) and they are good. North Haven looks really good, or West Beach ($10 each). They are all good options. I can do solo launch/sail/retrieve from North Haven or West Beach too if I want to do that, and the free ramp at the Squadron when we have crew, and for the short term that's probably what we'll do. I would like to have a vehicle I can plan to do away trips and beach launches with though.

The cost of another vehicle on top isn't a valid comparison though, a replacement vehicle would have to be a cost neutral swap for the CLK or we won't be doing it. I'll be testing the market in about a week, and there are some replacement vehicles I'm already considering, so it's a matter of whether anyone wants a CLK enough to pay for it.

Bruce I think you'd like the boat in the abandoned boatyard thread. The thread starters boat.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    It seems that a small 4wd would be a Very Good Thing Bruce, get a cheap one though and preferably from inland. Salt has a very nasty effect on steel cars ... I don't know how common rusted out 4wds are in SA but up here they pretty common.
    Not a lot of sand or salt water around most of the private schools or shopping centres here, so they are mostly pretty good.

A good point .... our local farmers are mainly keen fishermen with a love of annual trips to Frazer Island.

We're actually getting some rain, real wet rain. Wonderful!
    Grateful Dead

Do you really need a 4wd to tow a TS 16? 4wds are pretty thirsty things.

Getting a new dodger made for Masina. I'm using the existing frame but have had an extra bar welded to the outer hoop, to extend the coverage, stiffen the structure and allow handholds at the corner curves. It's costing a fortune as they're using some super-duper clear stuff for the front. I also had a couple of new brackets made to fit the dodger to the coaming to make it much stronger. I had to make some new coaming capping to repair the areas cracked by the old brackets. I'll post some pictures on the Tasman Boat thread when it's done. Finished all the big cleats too - 16 new copper bolts and all new wood.

And the oar turned up. Someone must have found it near the marina and left it up near the dinghy storage area.

Rick

Grateful Dead

As much as I like the idea of these little light 4wds for real off-road work, I saw one after an accident once, and it really put me off them. They're also very light, which I think would limit their suitability for towing.

Rick

Surprisingly, they supposedly have a braked towing capacity of 1200kg - 1300kg, unbraked 300-350kg
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I guess if you installed electric brakes, which aren't really too expensive, it would be okay. I think I'd buy a Holden ute for towing, maybe with LPG. In fact I'd like to buy a ute but Ms T won't let me.

Rick

Bruce is wanting to pull his trailer across sand, which is sometimes soft, and of an afternoon with a sea breeze, the trailer wheels very quickly get undermined and sink a few inches while you are loading up the boat onto the trailer. The little Suzi would be lucky to break the suction. he needs weight, which as has been pointed out, means fuel consumption goes up.