Page 1451 of 1453 FirstFirst ... 451951135114011441145014511452 ... LastLast
Results 50,751 to 50,785 of 50851

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Finally got a day warm enough to 2 pot the dingy deck, and gave my array of single and double paddles a coat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Managed an hour or so on the boat yesterday. Armed with the vacuum cleaner, paint scraper and dustpan brush I removed most of the rodent excrement and dirt from the cabin section. No obvious rot or damage but the bilge sections still need a good scrub. Also, armed with a plan view of the boat I measured up the space between the aft end of the bunk frames and the companionway bulkhead. I want to fit a compact galley on the portside and a porta loo to starboard.
    We found it easier when cooking on the Compass 23 to just use the cockpit . Plenty of elbow room and fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    We found it easier when cooking on the Compass 23 to just use the cockpit . Plenty of elbow room and fresh air.
    I will have that as an option. The companionway is quite wide, even with the mods I am planning. I am open to ideas and being early days I have the time to plan this.
    Last edited by WX; 06-14-2021 at 03:47 AM.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Gary, remember that the TS 16 was built to be as light as possible and built for racing. Before you rip out any bracing etc., be careful because supports for bunks etc. can have a dual purpose. You must avoid anything that could loosen the structural integrity because that could cause seams to work or even open and you could get moisture into those seams. You've seen what can happen then. If I were you, I'd sail the boat for a couple of years before modifying anything.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Gary, remember that the TS 16 was built to be as light as possible and built for racing. Before you rip out any bracing etc., be careful because supports for bunks etc. can have a dual purpose. You must avoid anything that could loosen the structural integrity because that could cause seams to work or even open and you could get moisture into those seams. You've seen what can happen then. If I were you, I'd sail the boat for a couple of years before modifying anything.
    I'm familiar with Hartley construction and I won't be doing anything like that. I will be removing the centerboard case but only to reseat it and remove the strip of timber Jay glued in to close it off.
    And I will probably rebuild the cabin. It's had a few repairs and I really don't like the window profiles.
    Last edited by WX; 06-14-2021 at 07:17 PM.

well a fairly simple job of moving the door just got a bit complicated. The termites took out the top plate before I wiped them out.

20210615_144057.jpg

As a reult of the storm our comms are somewhat delicate. Mobile phones on and off due to tower damage, and internet is patchy and buffering. Our situation is fine compared to other parts.
    Our underground landline however is doing sterling service!

Mt Dandenong and north is devastated, 95 houses demolished, one had 11 trees fall on it, and nearly 200 damaged. The roads on the mountain are closed because trees are still falling, and more bad weather is forecast on Thursday. Power off for a week now, and mobile coverage gradually being restored. North to Macedon and Trentham/Blackwood also have the same problems.
    Volunteers are not happy about their senior management's, and their local member's absence.
    He is acting Premier and managing a slowly spreading Covid outbreak. People are not staying home after being tested.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    As a reult of the storm our comms are somewhat delicate. Mobile phones on and off due to tower damage, and internet is patchy and buffering. Our situation is fine compared to other parts.
    Our underground landline however is doing sterling service!

Mt Dandenong and north is devastated, 95 houses demolished, one had 11 trees fall on it, and nearly 200 damaged. The roads on the mountain are closed because trees are still falling, and more bad weather is forecast on Thursday. Power off for a week now, and mobile coverage gradually being restored. North to Macedon and Trentham/Blackwood also have the same problems.
    Volunteers are not happy about their senior management's, and their local member's absence.
    He is acting Premier and managing a slowly spreading Covid outbreak. People are not staying home after being tested.
    Puts my little termite problem into perspective a bit.

My son Donovan helped me lift the centreboard out of the boat yesterday, which means I can clean the cockpit area now. Also found a section of rot in the port quarter topside.
    Might be time to start a separate thread in building/repair.
    On the home front replacing the top plate in the kitchen wall is progressing quite well.

On the home front replacing the top plate in the kitchen wall is progressing quite well.
    Is there any treatment that is effective against termites? We dont get them here.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Is there any treatment that is effective against termites? We dont get them here.
    There are, they are mostly highly toxic. The best ones like Termidor (I think that is how it's spelt) are in powder form. The termites track it back to the nest and wipe it out.

You might try a borax solution. That seems to be effective against ants.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    You might try a borax solution. That seems to be effective against ants.
    I'm dragging out the big guns on this. These buggers eat timber that nails bounce off.

Started a new thread in Building/Repair.
    At the moment it's mostly about demolition.

If it's any comfort I've just removed the concrete paths and covering boards around the base of my house and confirmed that 80% of the structural timbers under the house is made up of termite poop

Bugger!

They seem to know just when to leave.
    Rick

Bugger!

They seem to know just when to leave.
    After the Feast.

Apparently they can detect structural deterioration and leave when collapse is imminent. Lots of tiny brains working together.

We could learn from termites.
    Rick

Lucky I got them in time then. Though the little buggers did manage to hollow out a bit of upstairs floor ply.

Cold afternoon sailing on the bay with a good but gusty breeze from the sth. Thought I'd better get some water time in before we get locked down again. Commiserations to all effected.

Back to masks indoors and social distancing here.

Back to masks indoors and social distancing here.

Commiserations to all in lockdown. It looks like this version of the bug is a bit more catchy. So far in SA we're getting away with dodging it but for how long, who knows.

Stay safe everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I spoke to my GP today and made the observation. No deaths since December 2020, and only one person in ICU. This variant is certainly contagious, but why are we not seeing seriously ill people? Is it because it's early days?

I spoke to my GP today and made the observation. No deaths since December 2020, and only one person in ICU. This variant is certainly contagious, but why are we not seeing seriously ill people? Is it because it's early days?

The Delta variant hasn't been here long and there aren't that many cases yet. In the UK though there's more to sift through. The death rate there from that variant is reported at 0.13% which might or might not be encouraging. The proportion of the population there that is vaccinated is much higher than here, and the proportion of the most vulnerable there that are now vaccinated is quite high vs here.

Where we are vulnerable here is because of our low vaccination coverage, plus the complacency/intransigence among some groups. If this variant or future evolutions turn out to be more deadly then we could go from the lucky/successful country to a very poor situation. We do have a low population density in our favour though.

If I still had a boat I could live aboard I think I'd be keeping it ready for a bit of a cruise. Any excuse I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

While our population density as a country is low, the actual population density is high because most are aggregated in large cities. But we do have the advantage that the cities are a long way apart! I do wish Newcastle was further away from Sydney though ...
    Rick

Everything seems too far away at present. There's an exhibition I want to see in the city, but do I want to go there that much?

Locally our street, already very social, is becoming more so. People call in whilst going for a walk, sometimes we find them just sitting in the garden. That is OK with us and we have said so.
    I do think however it's just a matter of time for Vic. again.
    This Fed gov't is a real disaster, and as for the economic performance. I cannot see what is backing it up.

Rick

That is one very nice boat Rick.

I think so too. From the ad, it looks like the guy's been restoring it but can't continue. There aren't any photos of the outside so I'm assuming the remaining work to be done is there. I think the interior is really lovely.
    Rick

I think so too. From the ad, it looks like the guy's been restoring it but can't continue. There aren't any photos of the outside so I'm assuming the remaining work to be done is there. I think the interior is really lovely.
    Nice wholesome cruising yacht. Unusual for these to have wheel steering

Blue skies, its finally stopped raining. I watched some footage of the Dandenong storm aftermath. There were some mighty big trees down. Must have been bloody terrifying.

Cold and wet here, 6c tonight.
    I was outside in the shed making up the connections between the horse harness and the dray shafts but I got too damn cold! (this is not our pic)

Tumbril.

Yesterday I bought a Drill Doctor. I'm wondering if it will make me happy.
    Rick