Page 1439 of 1451 FirstFirst ... 4399391339138914291438143914401449 ... LastLast
Results 50,331 to 50,365 of 50753

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #50331
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sorrento Australia
    Posts
    3,475

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Back working from home.

    I will be starting each day with an hours walk / run along the beach. In the evenings I might finish the new forward hatch for the boat. I got the auto pilot working but adjusting the string set up that aligns the electromagnet with the moving piston is a real headache. Still working on it.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

    "Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

  2. #50332
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    66,047

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I wonder if 5 days is enough, several new contact points and a relative of one of the infected quarrantine workers registered positive today.

    I did hear it said that the UK strain is doubling in the US every 10 days.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/07/uk-c...udy-finds.html

  3. #50333
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sorrento Australia
    Posts
    3,475

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    We will see in the next day of two.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

    "Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

  4. #50334
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,559

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    be modest, and be proud of it.

  5. #50335
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,618

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Yeah, we had a booking to go this year but it wasn't on and we can't go anywhere at the moment anyway. Next time!
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  6. #50336
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,559

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Pretty sure that was the Sunday, I think the temperature was something like 11 C. While back home here it was in the 40s!
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  7. #50337
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,559

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Looking for a supplier of code zero sail cloth around 150gsm.
    Just for the record I had not heard of code zero till today. It's basically spinnaker cloth.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  8. #50338
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,559

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Looking for a supplier of code zero sail cloth around 150gsm.
    Just for the record I had not heard of code zero till today. It's basically spinnaker cloth.
    Looks like I may have found a 150gsm ripstop nylon that may do the trick.
    Very soggy today and it looks like staying that way for several days. I'm working on my son's shed/cabin cleaning up and painting all the steel trusses and wall frames. So far I've done one side each of two trusses...only another six trusses to go.
    one side of 2 done.jpg
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  9. #50339
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    3,361

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    What is the nylon being used for?

  10. #50340
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,559

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    What is the nylon being used for?
    Junk rig sail.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  11. #50341
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,559

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    be modest, and be proud of it.

  12. #50342
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,618

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Just remember, TS16s are a lighweight design built for racing. They're not designed to have an outboard hanging off the transom and not designed for an unstayed rig. TS16s always need the transom reinforced with bracing if they carry an outboard or the transom will separate at its edges. With a cabin designed for extreme camping, setting a big mast in that small area will further compromise that small space. You also need to look at stability. TS16s will flip. Dad flipped his and replaced the board with a heavier one. You really need to make sure you don't decrease stability or you finish up with a more dangerous boat.
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  13. #50343
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,559

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Just remember, TS16s are a lighweight design built for racing. They're not designed to have an outboard hanging off the transom and not designed for an unstayed rig. TS16s always need the transom reinforced with bracing if they carry an outboard or the transom will separate at its edges. With a cabin designed for extreme camping, setting a big mast in that small area will further compromise that small space. You also need to look at stability. TS16s will flip. Dad flipped his and replaced the board with a heavier one. You really need to make sure you don't decrease stability or you finish up with a more dangerous boat.
    Mast will be a length of 80mm x 3mm alloy tube weighing at most about 12kg. Sail will be 2oz ripstop nylon and battens either bamboo or something like 25mm diameter alloy tube. Bruce's mate Steve sailed his JR 16 in 20knts plus. Keep in mind that with a JR reefing brings the sail area lower. Outboard is going to be 4-5hp.
    If it doesn't work I'll still have the BM rig.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  14. #50344
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    66,047

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Readingbetween the lines 5 days is not enough. Depends if the find more cases today.
    Andrews is quite impressive dealing with the dodgier ends of the gutter press. Sticks to facts, has a memory for detail and what he said and when, sticks to his guns and does not appear to be wearing wire. And follows "The buck stops here" to an extent remarkable in a politician. I think the ALP's factional wars have stood him in good stead!

  15. #50345
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    3,361

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    [QUOTE=WX;6390835]Mast will be a length of 80mm x 3mm alloy tube weighing at most about 12kg. Sail will be 2oz ripstop nylon and battens either bamboo or something like 25mm diameter alloy tube. Bruce's mate Steve sailed his JR 16 in 20knts plus. Keep in mind that with a JR reefing brings the sail area lower. Outboard is going to be 4-5hp.
    If it doesn't work I'll still have the BM rig. [/QUOTE

    I ran a Mercury 2.3 on my Gunter rugged Hartley 14 which was more than enough power even when the boys where young .We also used to regularly carry an additional 250 -300 kg in food water and camping gear.
    I fondly remember the 14 as one of my outstanding boats very forgiving stable and fast.

  16. #50346
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,559

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    [QUOTE=auscruisertom;6390990]
    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Mast will be a length of 80mm x 3mm alloy tube weighing at most about 12kg. Sail will be 2oz ripstop nylon and battens either bamboo or something like 25mm diameter alloy tube. Bruce's mate Steve sailed his JR 16 in 20knts plus. Keep in mind that with a JR reefing brings the sail area lower. Outboard is going to be 4-5hp.
    If it doesn't work I'll still have the BM rig. [/QUOTE

    I ran a Mercury 2.3 on my Gunter rugged Hartley 14 which was more than enough power even when the boys where young .We also used to regularly carry an additional 250 -300 kg in food water and camping gear.
    I fondly remember the 14 as one of my outstanding boats very forgiving stable and fast.
    Reading Hartley TS16 sites the recommended HP is 4 to 5. If say I decided to get really adventurous and sail from Tweed to GC Seaway I want a bit of power behind me.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  17. #50347
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,559

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    The risk to the transom is not the power of the outboard, it's the weight. The risk is greatest when the boat is being towed on its trailer. So keep the weight down, if possible and beef up the connection of the transom to the boat if necessary. I'm only mentioning this because I've seen two TS16s with this problem. We didn't have the problem with our TS16 - it didn't have a motor.
    From what I have read it emphasizes unshipping the outboard while towing...probably for that reason. It's a lot of leverage.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  18. #50348
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,559

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Sort of wishing I had explored trailerable boats more. This is really nice on the eye.
    mist_launched_2006.jpg
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  19. #50349
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,559

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Well it's bucketing down here...and I broke my pop riveter.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  20. #50350
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Mast will be a length of 80mm x 3mm alloy tube weighing at most about 12kg. Sail will be 2oz ripstop nylon and battens either bamboo or something like 25mm diameter alloy tube. Bruce's mate Steve sailed his JR 16 in 20knts plus. Keep in mind that with a JR reefing brings the sail area lower. Outboard is going to be 4-5hp.
    If it doesn't work I'll still have the BM rig.

    Sea trials in that boat were in very lumpy seas in winds measured at the Coast Guard station where we launched, at 28 knots, and confirmed by Bureau logs to be at that level.

    I have to admit I was of the mind that the boat and rig needed to be tested at the extreme end of 'should we be out here' given that Steve had not had a huge amount of sailing experience. Not that I ever won a gold medal for my own abilities. I wouldn't recommend that anyone other than experienced TS16 racing crews with rescue craft at hand should sail one in those conditions.

    We were approached by Coast Guard and briefed by them prior to launching. We sailed upwind from the marina, wore life jackets and stayed within a shortish drift back to the lee shore had we lost the boat. Coast Guard launched and did a close obbo loop around us mid trials.

    I'm as confident as I can reasonably be that if your mods are at least as good as Steve's, your applied chicken factor is at least as high as mine, your boat is sound and you sail in somewhat sound mind you will not be in any more peril than the rest of the world's TS16s.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  21. #50351
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,559

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Sea trials in that boat were in very lumpy seas in winds measured at the Coast Guard station where we launched, at 28 knots, and confirmed by Bureau logs to be at that level.

    I have to admit I was of the mind that the boat and rig needed to be tested at the extreme end of 'should we be out here' given that Steve had not had a huge amount of sailing experience. Not that I ever won a gold medal for my own abilities. I wouldn't recommend that anyone other than experienced TS16 racing crews with rescue craft at hand should sail one in those conditions.

    We were approached by Coast Guard and briefed by them prior to launching. We sailed upwind from the marina, wore life jackets and stayed within a shortish drift back to the lee shore had we lost the boat. Coast Guard launched and did a close obbo loop around us mid trials.

    I'm as confident as I can reasonably be that if your mods are at least as good as Steve's, your applied chicken factor is at least as high as mine, your boat is sound and you sail in somewhat sound mind you will not be in any more peril than the rest of the world's TS16s.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Anything I do is going to be sub 20knts most likely.
    My rig looks like it's going to be fairly cutting edge JR wise. An extremely good JR sail maker is going to crunch all the numbers for me and provide technical support to help me build the latest in cambered panel design.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  22. #50352
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,559

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Sea trials in that boat were in very lumpy seas in winds measured at the Coast Guard station where we launched, at 28 knots, and confirmed by Bureau logs to be at that level.

    I have to admit I was of the mind that the boat and rig needed to be tested at the extreme end of 'should we be out here' given that Steve had not had a huge amount of sailing experience. Not that I ever won a gold medal for my own abilities. I wouldn't recommend that anyone other than experienced TS16 racing crews with rescue craft at hand should sail one in those conditions.

    We were approached by Coast Guard and briefed by them prior to launching. We sailed upwind from the marina, wore life jackets and stayed within a shortish drift back to the lee shore had we lost the boat. Coast Guard launched and did a close obbo loop around us mid trials.

    I'm as confident as I can reasonably be that if your mods are at least as good as Steve's, your applied chicken factor is at least as high as mine, your boat is sound and you sail in somewhat sound mind you will not be in any more peril than the rest of the world's TS16s.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BTW, I shall take that as a vote of confidence.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  23. #50353
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,559

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    We were going to go for a few days sailing on the river next week, but motor sailing to windward in drizzly rain just has no appeal for some reason.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  24. #50354
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sorrento Australia
    Posts
    3,475

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Went for a sail this evening on my mates clinker dingy from Blairgowrie to Sorrento. On the way we spotted a few friends on their mooring and joined them for a beer. A perfect way to spend an evening. Here's a few pics of the boat when we put up the new sail in his front yard a few months ago.






    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

    "Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

  25. #50355
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,559

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Very Mathew Flinders "Tom Thumb".
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  26. #50356
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sorrento Australia
    Posts
    3,475

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    We were actually talking about TomThumb as we were sailing.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

    "Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

  27. #50357
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    BTW, I shall take that as a vote of confidence.

    As intended.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  28. #50358
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,559

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    As intended.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve has sent me a bunch of photos of how he set up the mast and some of the rig.
    The first sail he made out of blue poly tarp.
    20161014_185855.jpg
    Don't know why that went sideways.
    And the second out of better quality tarp.

    Hartley Junk.jpg
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  29. #50359
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    168

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    That looks quite neat

  30. #50360
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    66,047

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Torn a muscle in my side, some weeks ago but I've been ignoring it as I shall mostly continue to do but it has gotten me out of some heavy work with timber. We intend to 'get a man in' to cut and stack. A man with his own insurance…….

    But with luck I can sail on Sunday, but use the clubs RV to shift it about.

    Good looking dinghy Hallam, I haven't sailed there since the late 80's on my Sailfish.

  31. #50361
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sorrento Australia
    Posts
    3,475

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    The dingy belongs to Wayne Parr who’s the yard manager at the Wooden boat shop. I’ve just st bought a dingy so I can get better at sailing. Not quite as wooden as Wayne’s, It’s a fibreglass Cadet
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

    "Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

  32. #50362
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,418

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    A lot of clubs say they are having trouble with recruiting kids. So is ours..... there'll be about 10-15 grommets down there again this weekend. It's a plague. :-) They are now outnumbering the adults. We were going to run another sailing school this season but instead we're going to have to start playing Barry Manilow or something to drive them away.

    The worst part of it is that country kids tend to be great at helping out - for example, many of them are used to driving cars and tractors on their properties so they can tow boats around the club with their parent's cars despite not having licenses, and they automatically do things like lifting boats on and off trailers instead of just waiting for others to do it for them. And they are dead keen and worst of all, the little bastards are picking up sailing really well from watching Youtube videos. So you can't even dislike them or say that they can't sail.

    After a few years sailing in clubs made of of declining numbers of grumpy old men, I just can't take a club full of young, cheerful, keen kids these days. :-)

    In contrast, I've spent the last few days trying to plan the new club amenities. I'm learning more about sewerage than I really wanted to know. I think the local pump-out guy was either the prototype of Kenny, or a major fan. The local council has told us that although our clubhouse location was approved with the proposed raising of the dam wall in mind, they have now changed their ideas and the clubhouse must go. This could be interesting.

    I also now have a new definition of "country sailing club". In the past, it meant that your club had some members arrested, at the marina, for cattle duffing. I should mention that they were acquitted, and it was another club. Our current club, instead, has a different form of cow trouble. A while ago they got into the boat yard and almost squashed two of the world's top A Class catamarans. Last week I had to stop on the way in because a cow was having a calf on the road. This was not a problem at Royal Sydney, or so I'm told.
    Last edited by Chris249; 02-19-2021 at 05:02 AM.

  33. #50363
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,559

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    A lot of clubs say they are having trouble with recruiting kids. So is ours..... there'll be about 10-15 grommets down there again this weekend. It's a plague. :-) They are now outnumbering the adults. We were going to run another sailing school this season but instead we're going to have to start playing Barry Manilow or something to drive them away.

    The worst part of it is that country kids tend to be great at helping out - for example, many of them are used to driving cars and tractors on their properties so they can tow boats around the club with their parent's cars despite not having licenses, and they automatically do things like lifting boats on and off trailers instead of just waiting for others to do it for them. And they are dead keen and worst of all, the little bastards are picking up sailing really well from watching Youtube videos. So you can't even dislike them or say that they can't sail.

    After a few years sailing in clubs made of of declining numbers of grumpy old men, I just can't take a club full of young, cheerful, keen kids these days. :-)

    In contrast, I've spent the last few days trying to plan the new club amenities. I'm learning more about sewerage than I really wanted to know. I think the local pump-out guy was either the prototype of Kenny, or a major fan. The local council has told us that although our clubhouse location was approved with the proposed raising of the dam wall in mind, they have now changed their ideas and the clubhouse must go. This could be interesting.

    I also now have a new definition of "country sailing club". In the past, it meant that your club had some members arrested, at the marina, for cattle duffing. I should mention that they were acquitted, and it was another club. Our current club, instead, has a different form of cow trouble. A while ago they got into the boat yard and almost squashed two of the world's top A Class catamarans. Last week I had to stop on the way in because a cow was having a calf on the road. This was not a problem at Royal Sydney, or so I'm told.
    Good yarn mate. Shame about the clubhouse though.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  34. #50364
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    3,085

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Sounds like you need to get a gaggle of those keen, strong farm kids, screw some long boards onto the clubhouse for handles and have 'em pick it up and move it I envy you! We're seeing the sailing disappear bit-by-bit here.

  35. #50365
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sorrento Australia
    Posts
    3,475

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Decided last minute to motor over to Port Arlington to pick up my new Cadet dingy and tow it home. Slept overnight at Queenscliff, got up at 4 am and filled up with diesel. Had the tide for a quick trip and having breakfast at Port Arlington at 7.45




    Last edited by Hallam; 02-19-2021 at 04:11 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

    "Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •