Results 50,611 to 50,645 of 50770

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Dinghy gets closer to getting wet.
    catches 2.jpg

overall 4.jpg
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Got my earthworks done just in time, it's raining again.

The latest bit of terraforming, the pad for Redwing.
    Before.jpg

After2.jpg

Sunday sailing; A very low tide made for a short course, much of it sailed with centerboard and rudder part raised. Afternoon a very strong incoming tide and the wind only a little stronger meant saiiing sideways was a feature. At one stage 10 or so boats with little wind and pointing an all directions were swept in a big swell from outside up the estuary. Oh yes, and it was cold with misty rain.
    Retrieval difficult in waves against the rock breakwater by the ramp.
    Several drams tonight to warm up!

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Sunday sailing; A very low tide made for a short course, much of it sailed with centerboard and rudder part raised. Afternoon a very strong incoming tide and the wind only a little stronger meant saiiing sideways was a feature. At one stage 10 or so boats with little wind and pointing an all directions were swept in a big swell from outside up the estuary. Oh yes, and it was cold with misty rain.

Have a dram for me please.

A friend passed away this morning after a year long fight against cancer. She was living aboard her yacht, Girt By Sea in the same marina as Balia and Arawana until she needed to move to Bendigo to be with her family. Her name was Marie Ralph. Some here may know her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Sorry to hear about your friend Bruce.

I came across an Australian scotch last week called Starburst, i think. Rather garish label but the price is in my range to i might try it.
    Correction, it's called Starward, and the label is not that bad.
    https://starward.com.au/pages/our-whisky
    Last edited by WX; 04-18-2021 at 04:21 PM.

Gary did you know that Tasmania has more whisky distilleries per head of population than just about anywhere?

Sympathies for your friend Bruce.

Gary did you know that Tasmania has more whisky distilleries per head of population than just about anywhere?

Sympathies for your friend Bruce.
    I know of at least two and i also know i can't afford them.

If I'd known how much that sells for I would have drank that glass you gave me on the Hawkesbury, even slower.

Dropped two trees yesterday that needed to be gone before Redwing comes home. The first was pretty simple and it Dropped right where it was supposed to. The second was more difficult as it leaned towards the carport. I had moved the car well out of range.
    Having watched a professional drop trees i decided to emulate him. So a rope up high leading off down hill to a come along winch. I took up the slack on the winch and then did the face cut and started the back cut. Went and took up a lot more tension on the winch, then more of the back cut the tree started to go...but it hung slightly on another tree. So back to the winch...will it miss the carport? It did, it was close though.

This trick might amuse you. I had to lower the bow eye on the new boat by about 250mm as it was way too high on the stem for correct retrieval on the trailer. Foredeck is enclosed for 1 metre back from the bows with only a small access hatch in the bulkhead, maybe 300mm square, so no way to even come close to reaching inside to put washers and nuts back onto the eye bolt. The deck is well braced with beams so no space at all for a new deck access hatch.

I managed to get the bolt undone by pulling back on the bolt whilst unscrewing it, so the nut gripped against the stem. Spent the rest of the morning cutting the notch for new eye-bolt hole, epoxying, painting, patching the old hole, etc and then, over lunch, sorted out the plan. Yang Yang looked at me a bit sceptically when I told her I thought I had a good plan.

I got some strongish polyester cotton sewing thread, inserted a thin long dowel through the new hole from the front, to which Yang Yang attached the cotton, then drew the cotton back through the hole. So now we had a flying fox of sorts from the bulkhead hatch down to the new bolt hole. Put the eye bolt back in with sealant. It was a tight fit and was probably effectively screwed into the 100mm stem anyway, but the cotton survived without breaking. So then we carefully placed first the large backing washer, and then the spring washer onto the cotton thread and jiggled them the one metre down to the bolt end, and up and onto it. Then, with a socket slid onto a metre long length of 12mm square pine, and with the nut slid into the socket, carefully placed it onto the bolt as well. Tightened up and all done. Took about five minutes for the whole job after lunch. Just in time for an after-lunch rum.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Nice work around Johnno.

Sold the tender (Beetle) today, so a few more $$$ in the till.
    Haulout is now 14th May, that was the earliest I can get.

Cold here, mist and squalls. Sailing tomorrow doesn't look good but it is the last dayof the season.

Cold here, mist and squalls. Sailing tomorrow doesn't look good but it is the last dayof the season.

Hope the sailing went better than Collingwood today!

I cleaned out Warana ready for her exit from the ocean!
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Sunday sailing, Anzac Day.
    No formal sailing in the morning, I was involved with dawn service and gunfire breakfasts a bit later.
    If you had to encapsule sailing at Inverloch in one afternoon adventures this was it. Started with an outgoing tide, gusty northerly winds, rain and squalls. About lap two the sun came out, the wind shifted west and dropped. Last lap rain and wind from the SE. 2nd race started overcast and misty but a decent WSW wind, evolved to sunshine and thwe wind died, then gusty SE and finally and suddenly a strong cold southerly that knocked over round one third of the fleet. Add a rapidly dropping tide and shallow water over sand and you have the day.
    Last formal sail of the season, but we have a phone tree if conditions look favourable, and we are considering starting next season a month earlier.
    Meantime my boat need some maintenance before it gets too cold for efficient epoxy use.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Hope the sailing went better than Collingwood today!

I cleaned out Warana ready for her exit from the ocean!
    Isn't Collingwood the team we're all supposed to hate?
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Isn't Collingwood the team we're all supposed to hate?
    Yes, every one but the chosen few! When I was a kid in South oz Bordertown area I chose collingwood because the magpie was the SA emblem.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

7BC1B6D9-03D9-47BE-AA35-FA5B59082A0A.jpgJimís first foray into Moreton Bay . We had a fantastic day despite the light winds.

At the helm enjoying the moment and dreaming of our next adventure.

336CBBF7-41DA-48DB-B785-6CBEA2DE7B88.jpg

Sweet and sour there Tom! Great to see you out on Jim while it would be great too to see Peter there. Perhaps he's really there in spirit. Good on you for taking Jim on and out!!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Sweet and sour there Tom! Great to see you out on Jim while it would be great too to see Peter there. Perhaps he's really there in spirit. Good on you for taking Jim on and out!!
    Spot on.

Jim should serve me well in coming years as well as expanding my sailing horizons due to her trailer ability .

Wee Barkie is mostly sold and the deal is to be be finalised tomorrow, which represented my long term plan when I bought Jim.

Great to see jim on the water Tom. There'lll always be a bit of Peter's blood and sweat on board with you.

Great to see jim on the water Tom. There'lll always be a bit of Peter's blood and sweat on board with you.
    Absolutely Jim embodies countless hours of dreaming ,planning and organising ,with a blend of craftsmanship and plain hard work.

[QUOTE=auscruisertom;6436987]At the helm enjoying the moment and dreaming of our next adventure.
    QUOTE]

Great pic Tom. I hope to do the Green Island sail next year. Meanwhile there's the Bribie Classic and Noosa River Old Gaffers coming up in the next few weeks!

[QUOTE=johnno;6437810]
    Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    At the helm enjoying the moment and dreaming of our next adventure.
    QUOTE]

Great pic Tom. I hope to do the Green Island sail next year. Meanwhile there's the Bribie Classic and Noosa River Old Gaffers coming up in the next few weeks!
    Fantastic I looked at the Noosa Gaffers but ruled it out ,hopefully you can share some pictures of what it looks like.

I have attended the Bribie Classic several times and will look forward to meeting up with you there.

Guess I better pull out my finger and get her and the trailer sorted out properly.

[QUOTE=auscruisertom;6437889]
    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post

Fantastic I looked at the Noosa Gaffers but ruled it out ,hopefully you can share some pictures of what it looks like.

I have attended the Bribie Classic several times and will look forward to meeting up with you there.

Guess I better pull out my finger and get her and the trailer sorted out properly.
    Hi Tom, I doubt I'll have my boat and trailer ready for any of these events this year but will try to get to them all next year. This year I'll try to drive up to the Bribie and Noosa events and take some pics, and keep my eye out for you.

[QUOTE=johnno;6437985]
    Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post

Hi Tom, I doubt I'll have my boat and trailer ready for any of these events this year but will try to get to them all next year. This year I'll try to drive up to the Bribie and Noosa events and take some pics, and keep my eye out for you.
    Real good you guys are more than welcome to sail with Simon and myself from Bribie to Toorbul on Saturday where we have our lunch stop then returning around 2- 3.30 pm.

[QUOTE=auscruisertom;6438013]
    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post

Real good you guys are more than welcome to sail with Simon and myself from Bribie to Toorbul on Saturday where we have our lunch stop then returning around 2- 3.30 pm.
    Thank you very much Tom. I'll check in closer to the date to confirm I can make it, and message you here.

Invested in an old 9 Ltr oak barrel. Bought it from an elderly gentleman in Warrandyte who also happened to have 4 bronze portlights and a large bronze rudder he was trying to sell.
    Im going to age a blend of Tawney and the younger Ruby port and will have the barrel ensconced in the boat when she's back in the water.

Boat is out for the new engine and gaff rig. Decided on Dyneema. The mast bowsprit gaff and boom are basically ready to fit but the rigging is what has to be done.

Bruce Cockburn

That's quite a trailer!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Invested in an old 9 Ltr oak barrel. Bought it from an elderly gentleman in Warrandyte who also happened to have 4 bronze portlights and a large bronze rudder he was trying to sell.
    Im going to age a blend of Tawney and the younger Ruby port and will have the barrel ensconced in the boat when she's back in the water.

That lovely barrel cries out for a Party before being Esconce .Good luck with the dyneema

If you wanted to transport a 9 metre mast long distance how would you do it?
    I'm thinking a car trailer with some sort of rack built on it high enough to allow forward overhang over the towing vehicle.