Thread: Tom Hill's Long Point Skiff- Anybody used one?

Default Tom Hill's Long Point Skiff- Anybody used one?

The thread about the Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff brought up the photo of Tom Hill running a Long Point Skiff along side of the JB skiff. The JB skiff is running along nicely but Tom is hunched over the console of the Long Point like he's trying to get it to plane. I like the Long Point but that photo has bothered me since I first saw it. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of how a Long Point skiff really handles? Does the total lack of any keel, runners, etc. on the bottom work well or should the boat have some lateral resistance to help it track?

Default Re: Tom Hill's Long Point Skiff- Anybody used one?

Looks more like he's in the process of sitting down or standing up. I think they are probably both good boats.
    If it needs to track more, slap a skeg on it, I would say...

At the recent Georgetown SC Wooden Boat Festival a gentleman had his Long Point Skiff on display dockside. He and a friend had brought it via the Intercoastal from his home on one of the Islands South of Charleston. It was a 60 mile trip which I believe they did in less than three and one half hours that morning.

As you can see his steering is different from Toms. He mentioned how comfortable it is on long trips this way. He also praised the thick bottom on the Long Point and said it never gave him a problem pounding in moderate chop. I liked the way he added foam flotation blocks under the seats - having the seat cushions wrap around making a very neat solution. He said he seldom stood to steer the boat.

He was using a 20hp motor (one he already had) but said a 15hp would have been just as good. I was very impressed with his workmanship and the design of the Long Point. He also praised the support Tom gave him during the build.
    “Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily" Johann Von Schiller

I talked with the builder of this boat briefly as well. He told me that in a chop it behaves "like a flat bottomed boat." No magic.

He certainly did a good job with it. I think that's just house paint on the interior, if I recall correctly.

I'm building the Babson Island 14 right now and it looks like the construction is almost identical. I think it should be a very easy build. The similarities between the two are what got me interested in the Long Point. I would like to see some pictures of it performing at speed though.