Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: patience

Default Re: patience

aw c'mon dont be like that
    taking off the old counter block, after the new fashion piece is fitted
    and patterning the bilge stringers

some of these photos were taken by catherine libeert a photographer from brussels, who regularly brought us belgian chocolates

One day Poland beat Italy at football, when your in charge it pays to know the fixtures even if you donít follow football, next day one of the poles dropped a steel frame on his foot with a vodka hangover, so for a month part of his work, hobbling on a broom was gluing up old hull planks, he was was to be kept working at all costs, the emergency generator to be switched on in the event of a powercut, just like that hamble marina, the extractor only to be turned off when the yacht owner was on his knees-- wearing leather sandals, I told him to get some steel toe capped working boots, I didnít want to send him off the job because the team was welding tight, we could only use 10 old planks, if the Reckonyourbleedingnow yard on the Riviera had put a tilt on the hull 20 years ago we could have used 160 old teak planks, whatís the difference in cost between that & a tilt, that yard reckoned they were the restoration yard in the med, but tarpaulins obviously werenít the only things they were pig ignorant about, that yard worked out their policy many years ago: to attach immediately at any cost a vacuum cleaner to the wallet of any owner who entered their gates this was to be kept working at all times, the emergency generator to be switched on in the event of a powercut, just like that hamble marina, the extractor only to be turned off when the yacht owner was on his knees ,

this is incorrect

One day Poland beat Italy at football, when your in charge it pays to know the fixtures even if you donít follow football, next day one of the poles dropped a steel frame on his foot with a vodka hangover, so for a month part of his work, hobbling on a broom was gluing up old hull planks, he was was wearing leather sandals, I told him to get some steel toe capped working boots, I didnít want to send him off the job because the team was welding tight, we could only use 10 old planks, if the Reckonyourbleedingnow yard on the Riviera had put a tilt on the hull 20 years ago we could have used 160 old teak planks, whatís the difference in cost between that & a tilt, that yard reckoned they were the restoration yard in the med, but tarpaulins obviously werenít the only things they were pig ignorant about, that yard worked out their policy many years ago: to attach immediately at any cost a vacuum cleaner to the wallet of any owner who entered their gates this was to be kept working at all times, the emergency generator to be switched on in the event of a powercut, just like that hamble marina, the extractor only to be turned off when the yacht owner was on his knees ,

new 2 ton keel & gripe cut out of solid opepe

the italian companies stalled on iroko keels, 30 ft long x 3ft wide x 10 inch thick, so i ordered it from barchards in hull, 25 tons of it, to do the centreline & beams etc,

lodging , hanging knee details in way of mast, double teak beamshelves, web plate knee, mast step,

Peter sorry to butt in on your wonderful thread - I recall that 10-15 years ago there was a big hull, teak planked, part reframed, under tarpaulins at Fambridge, on the Iron Wharf just below Alan Staley's yard owned by a Frenchman who had run out of money - I thought that boat was "Patience" but she can't have been...or was she?
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

the old 15 ton lead keel,in place after a polish breakfast

one month i bored the sterntubes on lulworth & patience

mastic on the steel frames

Andrew i dont think it was her, but what was it

fambridge or faversham

i was very busy as i also had to organise installing lulworths 70 ton , 2 piece lead keel ,
    construction, planking, deck, interior, spars, lofting
    some times i'd start a job, & not get back to it for days, because i had to teach, supervise, quality control, cost, organise jobs for 120 people

always on the lookout for the straw that breaks the camels back

Magnificent bolts!

Not to mention the other bits.

I have a silly curiosity about those huge bolts: why are they so long?
    (I bet that those 15-20 cm to cut off cost lots of money...)

Quote Originally Posted by peter radclyffe View Post
    fambridge or faversham
    Faversham, sorry.

I wonder what she was?
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Majer View Post
    I have a silly curiosity about those huge bolts: why are they so long?
    (I bet that those 15-20 cm to cut off cost lots of money...)
    fairlies refused to measure/order them before the keel was in place, so i had to do it, at 600-1200 euros each, i couldnt get them too short, but the subcontractors could not be kept waiting on pain of lawyers, penalty clauses,etc

she was first home in the 1931 fastnet, but on corrected time, dorade won

[quote=Chip-skiff;2314366]Magnificent bolts!

Not to mention the other bits.[/quote
    nickel aluminium bronze

i caulked hebr />
    the building board,
    join planks longer than the boat on the ground,
    paint it white ,
    mark out all the deckbeams,
    fix the board level above the boat,
    drop the lines down to the boat

Quote Originally Posted by peter radclyffe View Post

i caulked hebr />
    the building board,
    join planks longer than the boat on the ground,
    paint it white ,
    mark out all the deckbeams,
    fix the board level above the boat,
    drop the lines down to the boat
    Sign of an English professional.

Nice to see.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I have a question: the planks are painted white before being hanged, have I understood it right? In the case, what are the advantages in doing this way?
    Last edited by Antonio Majer; 09-10-2009 at 02:52 AM.

Not the planks, Antonio; Peter is referring to the building board, which is an aid to setting up accurately.

It is a single plank, made up of several planks joined together (does not matter if scarphed or butted) to a total length longer than the boat. It is painted white, then marked off from the lofting to give the stations and erected above the boat, vertically, with one side on the centreline and parallel to the waterline.

It serves as a reference point for all measurements; if building new you erect and plumb the frames or moulds by reference to it; because Peter was rebuilding, he took the deck beam stations to it.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Thank you Andrew, now everything is clear.
    ---
    (it was the second photo that deceived me; Peter is always terse in his explanations and my poor English helps as it can...)

It's a technique that was used in the best English yacht yards - Camper and Nicholsons, Moodys and a few others.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Terse....Yes.
    Keep It Simple: KISS it better.

thanks Andrew,
    yes terse but its better that way, as you can get bla,blah journalese, waffle, ooh i say, well did you ever, ok yah ,etc
    complicated explanations anywhere, but they may only confuse you

Wow... that's all I can come up with. Wow!

Antonio the battens hanging from the building board represent the main deck beams, not the half beams,
    a straight edge is then put across the gunnels, & equal measurements either side of the centre line are marked on the straight edge , as the boat may not have originally been built symmetrical,
    (as is the case with patience, 3 cms fuller on the port bow & lulworth 5 cms fuller on the stbd bow, the difference is taken up in the covering boards for the decking)
    & horned/ squared across the boat, first the mast beams, then a few others, cockpit, doghouse etc,
    then it needs a person with a tape measure each side,
    at the time i had no one with me who could speak english or italian, so 2 poles measured until their numbers agreed, i couldn't understand what they were saying but i didn't need to,
    then i double check them,
    i also measure off the stem & aft centreline horning ,
    then the half beams are measured off them,