Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mantus Anchors

Originally posted by Toxophilite
    I

Having someone here say. "I actually used this, it worked well" somehow is more substantial than any number of reviews read (also online I guess)
    Yeadon, Alex, and I are all agree: a big Rocna has worked well for us from Olympia all the way up the Inside Passage. I'm sure that that the Mantus is fine, but I chose Rocna because I didn't see a good reason to have those bolts on there. I would never disassemble it for storage...
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm not denying nor ignoring your collective Rocna experience in the PNW and I completely appreciate the insights

However If you read the original post I was asking if people had experience with Mantus anchors

I guess they're similar designs and as such you would be recommending the larger one of the two.
      Out of curiousity much does your boat weigh Bruce and how long is it? (Oh you have a lovely artic tern I read and really enjoyed your story of your inside passage trip but forgot the boat type. Not too much heavier than mine at 240lbs but about 6.5 ft longer)

The small Mantus doesn't bolt together. It snaps together quite quickly.
      Last edited by Toxophilite; 04-16-2023, 11:03 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Yes, I have experience with the Mantus and really like it. On the advice of Steve Goodwin I bought a 13 pound Mantus for my G-32 catamaran and have used it since 2016. My boat weighs around 2000 lbs, but is very low windage. It is the only anchor I carry (besides the 2.5) and have used it between here and Alaska twice (2 R2AK's) as well as about a dozen cruises a year. I've anchored in 50 knots twice and 60 knots just last year. Once set it has never dragged, but there have been a few occasions where I haven't been able to get it to penetrate through thick sea weed and have had to move to a different sea floor.
        Steve loaned me a Viking, which we both think is a better anchor, but made in Ukraine, so not easy to get right now.
        I'm building a new boat and the anchor locker is sized to fit a Mantus. I'm hoping to get Steve to weld the stock to the fluke so we can get rid of the bolt farm, but I guess you can tell I'm impressed. I only use about 15 feet of chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxophilite
          Besides being pretty small, my boat has pretty low freeboard, say compared to the lovely designs Mr Welsford (that I'm aware of) , so weight is a big consideration for me.
          My boat is a low freeboard Welsford . On a Walkabout, in the muddy Sacramento Delta, my usual anchor is just a 4 lb Bruce but I have one of the 8 lb Mantus and have tried it a few times. They both go on a bow roller, to keep the mud out of the boat. I do not notice much effect underway with either of them hanging on the bow.

This is the Mantus

Comment

Originally posted by rgthom
            My boat is a low freeboard Welsford . On a Walkabout, in the muddy Sacramento Delta, my usual anchor is just a 4 lb Bruce but I have one of the 8 lb Mantus and have tried it a few times. They both go on a bow roller, to keep the mud out of the boat. I do not notice much effect underway with either of them hanging on the bow.

This is the Mantus

Cool. I don't use a roller , I try to keep the weight out of the ends of my boat, I can see the advantage and thanks for letting me know about the mantus, the only welsford designs I've seen are the navigator and Scamp both of which have tumblehome I think. He designs nice boats.

Comment

I have sampson post envy!
              What is that pin (?) on the side of it?
              ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
              ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
              ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
              ♦ George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Autonomous
                I have sampson post envy!
                What is that pin (?) on the side of it?
                It's a bronze rod stuck through the post. I copied it from a Paul Butler article in the old Duckworks: https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04.../015/index.htm

It works nicely. A dock line can drop over it, the anchor chain locks into a slot in the plate, and the rode can be tied off to that rod. Found a couple photos:

Comment

Mantus and Osculati anchors

Received both the Mantus dinghy anchor and the Osculati folding admiralty (fisherman/kedge/yachtsman) anchor this week.

Both look well made though in different ways

The Mantus weighs in 3.5 lbs (though it is called a 2.5lbs dinghy anchor) and is less shiny than imagined, kind of a buff finish. It is quick to deploy and disassemble and seems to hold well in the not too challenging conditions I tried it in rock and sand and a bit of weed(I pulled some up!)in a partly protected area. Wind was blowing at 24 km and some of it was making it into the channel. I anchored the boat right in it. There was a bit of chop the tide was coming in and many large wakes came in and teh boat was dancing around but wasn't going anywhere. I was also trying an anchor buddy simultaneously. Probably about 12' deep with 4-1 scope out. 6' of 1/4' chain on the anchor.
                  Mantua was out of stock due to their sale and they very nicely refunded me the shipping costs because I had to wait longer for it. They also phoned me to answer an email question I sent them about the anchor.

The Osculati 5 KG Admiralty Anchor also looks well made though a little more rough and tumble as one might expect. A lot of the pins are peened into place and the galvanizing looks drippy..almost like silver paint in places. The flukes fold well but feel little loose/sloppy(side to side rather than in and out). Thin nylon washers on either side or one between the pivot points would firm it up. I think this doesn't affect anchoring function but mostly my sense of how it should be.
                  Has a flat bar that slides through the stock behind a washer to hold it in place. Flat bar is secured with a cotter pin
                  Fat round pin holds the flukes in either the folded position for the open position, it also is secured with a cotter pin.
                  Both are attached to the anchor with small lengths of strong chain (both of which have a few rusty links)
                  Probably would like to have better options than cotter pin.
                  Easy to assemble and it folds up into a slender bundle
                  Weighs in at just under 5 kg and just under 11lbs
                  Interestingly the stock is 4 inches longer than the dimensions on the Osculati site(21" rather than 17") and the spread of the flukes is 1.5" smaller (13.5" rather than 15") BIg shackle on top looks like a zinc plated one, probably replace it with a galvanized one.

I tried it also in not terrible challenging condition in about 8' of water with big and small rocks 3-4-1 scope. There was a light breeze coming off the shore. I lowered it and then rowed backwards till it held and then gave it a jerk..Seem to set very well. i couldn't move the boat with the oars, rowed off at 90 degrees, same thing in both directions, came up with a jerk and wouldn't move past that. Rowing 180 degrees caused the anchor to maybe drag a foot and then reset with the above results. Same chain as above.

I think between the two of them I have a lighter more efficient anchor and a much heavier all arounder which would be good on a beach too. Both fold up be be compact and not two threatening

I will report back when I've had a chance to test them both in more difficult conditions. Overall I'm pleased and feel confident in them so far.

Last edited by Toxophilite; 05-06-2023, 01:24 AM.

Comment

so have you decided which one for the tattoo ?

Comment

Originally posted by coelcanth
                      so have you decided which one for the tattoo ?
                      How's your fortress tattoo?

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎