No announcement yet.

Think I need to deal with this?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Think I need to deal with this?

I’d leave it. Or tanerite…boom. Strangely safer.

Comment

Garret, remind us where you are in the Hills of VT?
      I have a woodmizer and am in Thetford. It is put away for the winter, but if a log or two came this way come spring I'd be happy to saw it for you. And NO I do not want the lumber (I overfloweth with lumber), I just like to saw and meet people.

As you surmise, basswood is soft and light - with almost nonexistent annual rings. That uniformity makes it good for carving, models or otherwise.
      Once dried, it's also good for painted interior trim.

Oh, and those horizontal rows of small holes in the bark are Yellow Bellied Sapsucker. The wildlife is quite enjoying that tree.

-Leif
      Last edited by Torna; 12-06-2022, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Well don't I feel stupid (not a new thing for me). Of course it's woodpeckers.

I don't see signs of a nest inside, but maybe they're wanting to finish the interior before moving in? Living in a house while working on it is so awkward...

A thought: Cut the tree above the cavity? The arrow in the pic below is about 9 ft. or so & I could cut it from the bucket of the tractor (no, I don't like cutting from a ladder). I don't have a good spot for the equipment: ditchwitch, bushhog, and the trailer. Only other place is also in the area where it could fall.

Basswood2.jpg

Thoughts? Will the woodpeckers come back to it after cutting?
        "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

Originally posted by Torna
          Garret, remind us where you are in the Hills of VT?
          I have a woodmizer and am in Thetford. It is put away for the winter, but if a log or two came this way come spring I'd be happy to saw it for you. And NO I do not want the lumber (I overfloweth with lumber), I just like to saw and meet people.

As you surmise, basswood is soft and light - with almost nonexistent annual rings. That uniformity makes it good for carving, models or otherwise.
          Once dried, it's also good for painted interior trim.

Oh, and those horizontal rows of small holes in the bark are Yellow Bellied Sapsucker. The wildlife is quite enjoying that tree.

-Leif
          I'm in Essex - so 1.5 hours. I do hate the idea of its going to waste if people can use it. It's pretty straight.

Comment

In the "yannow" department, it looks like the start of a good basswood log canoe. Just sayin'.

An inspection mirror and a flashlight might tell you a lot about what's going on inside the tree if you've got concerns about critter habitat.

(And yeah, probably ought to deal with that...)
            "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
            -William A. Ward

sigpic

Comment

There are flags for me on that one Garret, I probably don't have to say it and of course you're there and can sound it/ inspect it.
              Not so sure I'd want to cut that from an elevated position, you tend to lose your escape track that way.

Comment

Originally posted by John B
                There are flags for me on that one Garret, I probably don't have to say it and of course you're there and can sound it/ inspect it.
                Not so sure I'd want to cut that from an elevated position, you tend to lose your escape track that way.
                Oh yeah. While I'd thought of using the bucket (or a pallet on the forks), that eliminates the pull vehicle for the guiding rope. I'm now thinking of a section of scaffold - from which I could jump fairly easily. Even if I were to cust as low as possible, because of the joined trunks at the bottom I'd have to have some sort of platform.

Gotta think this one through...

Comment

I see Paul deleted his post - but maybe he wants to come hug the tree?

Comment

Jump you say, this I would see as a course of last resort..( O my knees). The last 7 I felled on my place had one I had to get on the bucket/pallet for , but they're a very stable species, made the back cut to the first 'crack' , got down and then nipped away with the pole saw to get it to go( a leaner in this case)

I tree fish boughs with an old baitcaster and a weight> messenger> rope... works well enough provided there's enough profanity used. Then comes the zen of the accurate cast....

Comment

Step One: Move trailer.
                      Step Two: Hire it done.
                      Take pictures, since, by following above steps, you will survive the procedure to post them here.

Comment

I enjoy it, its hard work and has potential risk, but after a while you get to understand what they're going to do and what you have to do to persuade them to do a bit different.
                        I had lots of great advice and discussions from and with people here when I started felling the pest trees on this place a couple of years ago. Lupo , Jp , Paul , Garret too I think. ( There was a thread)
                        Passed the 100 big tree threshold a week or so back, big tree meaning anything that'll kill you or permanently alter quality of life if it goes wrong. ( Thats my definition anyway)

Comment

Wait for the rainy season. Throw a wax fireplace log in there.

Comment

I have run chainsaws for over 40 years including just under 2 years full time logging where, in between cutting trees & bucking up firewood, I cut hundreds of widowmakers. My last big tree was a 30" maple that was taller- probably 90 ft. - that I cut about a year ago.

The only concern I have on this is the condition of the tree and preferring to cut when standing on the ground.

Also - I mostly posted this for fun - as having to deal with it is fairly obvious. That's not to say I don't appreciate suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by Fitz
                              Looks like the home of a pair of pileated woodpeckers in my experience.

Fitz
                              My thoughts also. I've seen them really tear into my dead trees. 18' tall birds, they can really hammer a tree!!
                              I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
                              Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

Most of the strength of the tree is in the stuff that's left. I really really wish we had some bass wood down here. We have absolutely nothing which is easy to carve. Garrett if you were to cut that up into small blocks you could sell it to carvers for good money. I'd buy a bunch myself but freight charges make it too expensive. Check out bass wood for sale on eBay! JayInOz

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎