No announcement yet.

Bandwagon, Big Food, Hornpipe & Rowan do Barkley Sound

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bandwagon, Big Food, Hornpipe & Rowan do Barkley Sound

Okay, okay. Enough is enough! I want to hear about the wind, rain, sleet and hail. Mosquitos and wasps as big as robins.

This is the west coast and it rains here all the time, cold at night. Remember?

.....Nice pics, fellas, and a great trip! / Jim

Comment

It was in Barkley Sound where I learned there's a beast called the saltwater mosquito, and that the little bastards can drive a peaceful fellow to set up a tent for non-waking hours.

I hate setting up tents, or more accurately, I hate stowing a tent in the morning when I'd rather be off sailing. But these mosquitos were persuasive. I've never experienced anything like them on the Salish Sea, where the bugs are aloof and the breezes fresh.

Exhibit A ... Yeadon's tent on Hand Island. (snicker snicker)

Exhibit B ... the very same tent set up on ANOTHER island.
      Last edited by Yeadon; 08-01-2012, 07:09 PM.
      Originally posted by James McMullen
      Yeadon is right, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by chas
        This is the west coast and it rains here all the time, cold at night. Remember?
        You did note the umbrella in post #14?

In all the camping and boating that I've done in my life I can't ever remember anyone bringing an umbrella along. . .
        Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

On the 24th while Alex was meandering about, Tim and I set out after Rowan for the 'outside' of the Broken Group, the wide open Pacific, seaward of Cree, Howell, Wouwer. This was another thrilling day. Tim and James I think had some pretty close drive byes of the whale population, they were sure in my vicinity. While offshore we had a picture perfect sparkling blue water day with just the right amount of wind for full sail. It was hard to turn back towards land. Bandwagon and Big Food were sailing in lockstep. Eventually Tim gave me three blasts on the whistle to turn about, probably a good call.

We pulled into a nice beach on Wouwer for a quick lunch on a fast rising tide, then ducked back inside the group and pointed north. The wind piped up. Bandwagon, Big Food, and Rowan went to single reefs and had a rollicking close reach/beat to Clarke Island. Clark Island is spectacular, and popular. We soaked in the tropical beach vibe for a few minutes then set a course for Turret.

Exactly what to do with the boat at the end of the day took up a fair amount of my mental and physical energy. On the one hand, James is very comfortable and adept with his anchoring system (which he largely credits to Don Kurlyko), and most interested in sleeping on board. I think James only left his boat on the beach one night. On the other hand Alex was most often inclined to leave his boat on the beach and settle into a cozy terrestrial tent. Typically our arrivals coincided with high tide. I was somewhere in between. I slept both on the boat and on land, practiced my clothesline skills, and at least a couple of nights left the boat on the beach.

Note: several boats setting up clothesline moorings can create a bit of congestion in these small coves.

2nd Note: Should one leave the boat on the beach, fenders are very helpful to act as rollers getting the beast back into the water. The right sort of driftwood works too. Alex is expert at this.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Pless

In all the camping and boating that I've done in my life I can't ever remember anyone bringing an umbrella along. . .
            Alex is a veteran camp cruiser. He has a solution for every situation. Hornpipe is like Hermione's magical beaded handbag. You just never know what's coming out that thing next.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Pless

I sail my kayak with a beach umbrella occasionally.
              Great thread, beautiful boats and the pics make me green with envy. I do like Hornpipe, I have a thing for double enders.

Comment

Thu 26 Jul 2012

More crab for breakfast, ho-hum. It looked like today was going to be a repeat of yesterday, fog-wise, so the plan was to go over to Wiebe Island, near Effingham, and look into the fantastic tide-pool there formed by the circle of rocks at its south end, then maybe around the outer side of Dempster and Nettle Island.

James was first underway, as usual, with the rest of us following shortly thereafter. The winds, or more properly, breezes, were very light so we had challenging light-air sailing to get through the channels and over to Wiebe. When we got there, the low cloud had lifted enough that we could see the Deer Group, so we decided to go for the crossing, especially as there appeared to be more wind out in Imperial Eagle Channel. We set our rendezvous as the Ross Islets and one of the reported campgrounds there. Not all of use had paper charts. I only had what was on my GPS – good for close-in but the screen is a little small for getting the bigger picture.

James pointed higher, aiming for a pass to windward of Diana Island. The rest of us headed straight for the pass west of Sandford Island. I had full sail up and was making 3-4 kts, gaining on Big Food and Bandwagon. Towards the far side the wind increase and I hung on to all sail, hiking out on the rail and regularly making ~6 kts on a reach as we approached the pass. Any more wind or a longer crossing and I would have had to reef, but as it was I turned the corner and ran downwind very quickly into the lee of Sandford Island. I dropped sail and rowed around the Ross Islets and came back to a nice little sandy cove on Sandford.

Cove on Sandford Isl in Deer Group

It has clearly been used many times, as there were tent pads back in the bush and a crude picnic table and kitchen shelter set up. I set the boat up on the clothesline, then Tim and Eric came in, whereupon we set up shop on the beach, to avoid the mosquitoes. James came in a little later, having failed to catch any fish, but having successfully ferreted out a liquor store in Bamfield and catching a pack of beer.

Tending the mooring lines

We had a good supper and built a fire to keep the damp away, as it was a little blowy and misty, almost rainy. But we were snug in our cove in the lee.
                Alex

“It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.” - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Comment

Comment

Comment

Final picture in post#4 is the BEST PICTURE EVER! You guys should have it made into a poster and market it.
                      Looked like a fun trip.
                      You guys are tough. I don't think I could take two weeks living in oilskins. What was the average temps and did the sun ever come out?
                      I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
                      Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

man I'm loving this thread !! I wish I was out there with you gents. Glad to see some are living the life.

Comment

There is the Bilge, and then there is this thread. Everything else is somewhere in between.

Comment

Fri 27 Jul 2012

Despite the threat of rain the night before, it didn’t materialize. The winds were light-ish but it was still solidly overcast. The day’s rendezvous was to be Hand Island again so that we would be in a good position to return to Toquart Bay Saturday, our last day, alas.

James was anxious to do a big sail around the outside of Effingham and Benson and Clarke Islands so he left early. Eric wanted to look into Bamfield so he left next. Eric and I, being less gung-ho, or in my case, being nervous from being caught out by big winds on other crossings, wanted to get across Imperial Eagle Channel as quickly as possible. Once out from behind the Ross Islets, the wind was strong enough that I had to put a double reef in Hornpipe’s main and Big Food needed a single reef. Even so, I was making 5 kts at first. Halfway across the wind started to drop but I left the reef in, as I was still doing 3½ to 4 kts. The 4 mile crossing to Sechart Channel took me less than an hour. Big Food came in a little behind me and we stopped at a sandy cove on Reeks Island for lunch.

Big Food coming into view around Reeks Island

After that, we rowed into the wind through the channel to the inside of Nettle Island, and then through a narrow pass to the north of it, where I discovered an uncharted rock. Fortunately, I was only rowing at about 1½ kts at the time and ran straight onto it with the rub strip on the keel, so no harm done. Another 6 inches of tide and I would have gone right over it.

Through the passage, we raised sail again in Sechart Channel and ghosted across to have a look at Sechart Lodge, source of rental kayaks and starting point for many kayak trips to the Broken Group. By this point, we could see Eric coming into the Channel from his crossing. We carried on through the central passage of the Pinkerton Islands by oar and noted a couple of float houses tucked away in nooks there. It would be a great life in the summer but somewhat damp and grey in the winter I think.

Big Food in the Pinkertons

One of the float houses

We met with more wind for the crossing to Hand Isl directly to windward but I misjudged the strength of the wind and I guessed wrong on the sail combination at first and fell behind Big Food. Eventually I put up the main with a single reef in the center position and that proved to be just right. Lots of kayakers on Hand, also staging for the last day. Again, as with every other day, we got the question of “what kind of boats ARE those?”

James came in with 2 good sized ling cod that he had caught, so supper was once again terrific.

Ling Cod for supper
                            Alex

“It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.” - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

Comment

What's the verdict on the best footwear for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Jones
                                You guys are tough. I don't think I could take two weeks living in oilskins. What was the average temps and did the sun ever come out?
                                I'm not sure we're that tough. In spite of the overcast we had one completely sunny day and a couple of other days where it was sunny for part of the day. I don't think the temperature ever dropped much below about 15 deg Celsius (about 60 Fahrenheit), even at night. No significant amounts of rain either except at the very start. Most of the time the oilskins were acting as windbreakers. I rarely had on more than one layer under the jacket.
                                Alex

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎