TRailable mast support

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRailable mast support

22’ grey seal.

Im trying to devise a mast support for carrying the mast after I de-rig. I have a small tabernacle at fwd end of cabin and it’s pretty easy to invent something for that end but my problem is the aft end above the aft end of cockpit or on top of aft deck. I don’t have a mizzen so no hole to make use of.
    I so far have come up with an idea to make a pair of crossed legs locating in glued-on deck pads, against ends of coamings and lashed to horse.
    After some neat imaginative ideas please
    IMG_1530.jpgIMG_1529.jpg
    Last edited by ADonald; 05-10-2023, 01:11 AM.

Re: TRailable mast support

Something that slots over the top of the rudder post maybe.

Comment

Thanks Slacko, but I don’t think the rudder hardware would be up to the road shocks of supporting mast, too much of a lever arm to top gudgeon.

Comment

No ideas, but that's a beautiful boat and fine craftsmanship!
        "George Washington as a boy
        was ignorant of the commonest
        accomplishments of youth.
        He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Comment

Attach scissor X gallows to traveler? Fold flat on pivot when not in use, threaded J bolts w/ wingnuts to attach to both upright and cross bar of traveler. With fwd end secure shouldn't need much fore-aft restraint, only vertical support.
          Everything changes . Everything is connected . Pay attention

Comment

One solution is to rig a 2x4 across the rub rails. Pad the undersides of the 2x4 to protect the rails. A ratchet strap is used to keep the aft end down when on the road. The 2x4 can then be used as a base for a support for the mast. If this idea is appealing, I can send you a better photo in a few days.

IMG_8868.jpg

Comment

Many ways to skin this particular cat. For example:

1. On the bulkhead under the hatch, install an U or eye bolt, with the hole facing up. This will serve as the lower partner for the mast support pole. On deck, under the tiller, install two eyebolts with the holes facing forward, or a piece of wood with a hole. These take a closed oarlock as the upper partner, or a simple bolt that goes trough the pole. If the coaming on the deck protrudes sufficiently over the bulkhead you can cut a slit and use a hook made from flat bar, that is bolted to the pole.

2. If the hatch cover is removable instead of hinged, make a separate one with sturdy latches and attach the support pole to it, either directly by bolting or removable via a pair of rings. When trailering simply swap out the hatches.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank K.
                One solution is to rig a 2x4 across the rub rails. Pad the undersides of the 2x4 to protect the rails. A ratchet strap is used to keep the aft end down when on the road. The 2x4 can then be used as a base for a support for the mast. If this idea is appealing, I can send you a better photo in a few days.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]135832[/ATTACH]
                This is a good idea. I could see adding a pair of small padded blocks to help index the spar into place.
                Originally posted by James McMullen
                Yeadon is right, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by WHYankee
                  Attach scissor X gallows to traveler? Fold flat on pivot when not in use, threaded J bolts w/ wingnuts to attach to both upright and cross bar of traveler. With fwd end secure shouldn't need much fore-aft restraint, only vertical support.
                  Yep. This would be my approach too.
                  -Dave

Comment

Can you use a sort of block thing to straddle the horse and the tiller?

I managed to confuse myself trying to describe it. Here's a quick sketch instead:

Mast support.jpg

I had in mind:

- An eye in each of the top four corners so you can tie the block down to the horse if needed, although I guess tying the mast down should hold it in place perfectly well.
                    - Some felt or the like on the base of the block to protect the deck.
                    - A nice leather-padded crutch for the mast.

It would have the added benefit of keeping the rudder and tiller centered and, whilst I think the scale is a bit wrong on my sketch, it should fit easily enough in the bottom of the aft locker or in the back of the car when not in use.

Comment

The X gallows has been used for years by a friend with a little gaff rigged boat. Two blocks on the aft deck that the feet notch into. He trail sails and often drops it out on the water for bridges etc.
                      His new build might have a fixed gallows. Also a gaffer but a bit bigger at 20ft. Sharpie 600.

Comment

Is this a "hole" that a crutch could stand in?

E712A905-A4C1-4E89-8E22-F67B965E17FA.jpg

Comment

This is cool. It could be constructed as a light plywood box, too. Flip it over and you have a stool.
                          -Dave

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I must add that this support would have to be pretty tall because of cabin. That white thing in centre of aft deck is a vent that will glued down
                            ( non removable) .
                            IMG_0635.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ADonald
                              Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I must add that this support would have to be pretty tall because of cabin. That white thing in centre of aft deck is a vent that will glued down
                              ( non removable) .
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]135886[/ATTACH]
                              I thought it might be one of these...

(which would be a perfect spot for a "crutch" to hold your spars)
                              That's a fine looking craft btw!

B9D83C8E-1D25-4934-883F-074EDAA85C94.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎