Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • auscruisertom
    • Mar 2011

Re: A New Gaff Rig for Wee Barkie

[QUOTE=Phil Y;5937926]You really, really want to have the same purchase on peak and throat. Then you can grab both and pull the gaff up horizontally to the hounds, make the throat fast then peak it up at your leisure. 3 to 1 would be plenty I think.
    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Ok sounds like I need to eliminate the 4to 1.

Geoff your one up on me only ever had one sail on a Gaffer.

Comment

• Phil Y
      Banned
      • Apr 2010

I think you'll like it. Sailing off a mooring or anchor you can haul your main up with the gaff horizontal. Tie off both halyards and at your leisure tidy up ropes, shorten up on the anchor, bring the dinghy in close, finish your cup of tea, whatever. Then haul up the anchor or let go the mooring, peak up the main and away you go. Whether you deploy the jib before or after you let go depends on your circumstances. But it's all very civilised.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Phil Y; 07-16-2019, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• auscruisertom
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Neil C
        Looks good Tom. A crane or bolster to give clearance for the throat block attachment . Don't skimp on the drift between the attachment position and the throat stirrup at full hoist. Perhaps a spot of weld ? to prevent the blocks / halyard twisting . The sheaves should be aligned athwartships.
        Thanks Neil What I perceive to be the original throat halyard beak shown below was located approximately 1 m above the gaff before I moved the bolsters up on the spar.
        If I where to keep the fitting where it is I would end up with clearance of 700mm between the beak and the stainless gaff Hoop is that enough given my two blocks with shackles and Hoop measure around 470 mm.

This would only leave a 200 mm or 8” inches of rope play plus depending where the gaff boom is located on the mast.
        Is that enough clearance?

My present boom boom is located 900 mm or 3 ‘ foot above the deck is that perhaps high? WB original boom looks to be lower.

Furthermore my understanding is that I require around 500 mm 20” inch clearance between bolsters and gaff.
        [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• RFNK
          Port Stephens, Australia
          • Feb 2007

I think you made a gaff there with the number of booms Tom!

Rick
          Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• Phil Y
            Banned
            • Apr 2010

Boom boom.

Comment

• RFNK
              Port Stephens, Australia
              • Feb 2007

I wasn't expecting such a loud response!

Rick
              Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• auscruisertom
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Phil Y
                Boom boom.

Booms on the brain , of three gaffs I have the large measuring 5.4 m will become the boom , boom no 2 at 4.5 m is a spare gaff come spinnaker pole or a Mizzen if I can fit that somehow ,and the lightweight hollow core gaff will continue to perform unchanged.

Comment

• auscruisertom
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by wizbang 13
                  I agree ,an even purchase on both halyards is important for smoothness.
                  I think 2 to 1 with a burton on the peak hlyd would be fastest and most powerful. That's all I have on Woodwind. 2/1 with 4/1 burtons giving me 8/1 to finish up.
                  I have the same thing on my jib hlyd.
                  Too much rope all over the place will only lead to trouble.
                  SBR, I think there must be something screwy on Blowfish if the throat is harder to lift than the peak.
                  Once the throat is tied off, it should not need adjustment, whereas the peak is constantly getting tweaked, both for point of sail and wind strength.
                  Thanks Bruce I understand the even purchase also good to know you have yours rigged 2/1 if I go that way could always just install a couple of small winches on the mast which I have .
                  Do you use the same burton for peak and jib halyards and how do you stow them ?

Comment

• wizbang 13
                    • Oct 2009

No, they are permanently hooked up. Both ends of the hlyd come down. One end is conventional to the sweat hook/pinrail. The other end comes to a double block that "floats" about 8 feet up in the shrouds. A single block with becket is tied to the pinrail.

Here you see it. Am I calling it the wrong thing, Burton?
                    Halyard ends pre tied off to the upper board, which also holds green light and is the lowest ratlin. No need to un tie those ends . This also saves on hlyd length which decreases the spaghetti on deck. When coiled up, my throat hlyd is only about 25 feet long.
                    I can't tell you how many people begin to un tie those hlyd ends before they begin to pull up the sail.
                    Last edited by wizbang 13; 07-17-2019, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• wizbang 13
                      • Oct 2009

I wanna show you some of the simple things and simple ways I have Woodwind rigged. It may give you an idea of how simple one can go.
                      From the above pic you can see how simply my gaff and boom jaws are made,fer instance.
                      But look at what does NOT exist...gooseneck, vang,mast hoops/parrel beads,"car" in the gaff jaws, pretty much any metal fitting.The gaff jaws themselves are only glued and seized on with nylon. I broke many gaff jaws on several boats due to them being hard bolted.
                      So, here are smore pics of bits...

My conglomeration of topping lift ends, block lanyards ,hlyd ends ,etc. One can just tie the effin things around the spar.

When you have wire shrouds /soft eyes(they ain't soft), be careful of them crushing the wood underneath AND of crushing each other . The wire on the bottom can easily be damaged. Hard rubber chunks do a good job, and the tend to stay put.

This is my staysl hlyd block... no fitting, no tang.

Comment

• wizbang 13
                        • Oct 2009

Don't forget sweat hooks/sway hooks. This is from my little boat(24'). Just a bronze chock cut in half. Tieing directly to the pinrail will fatigue the wire

Comment

• auscruisertom
                          • Mar 2011

Spot on Bruce definition of a “Burton “ is a light tackle having double or single blocks used to hoist or tighten rigging, I had to look that one up myself.

Really appreciate those picture advice and hints I also had some additional questions in post 243 regarding throat halyard clearance if you can find a moment. Cheers Tom

Comment

• wizbang 13
                            • Oct 2009

Check.
                            Having a fixed gooseneck on a gaffer is what leads to this problem of the throat hlyd , thus the sail luff, tightening up as the gaff twists off,which is of course the opposite of what one wants when cracking off. A boom jaw will simply ride up a bit. From the pic in #186, it looks like WB will have a boom jaw, so, I think you are good to go.
                            Try the boat with no luff tensioner /downhaul thingy, let the boom float. With good main sheet geometry,the boom jaw will not ride up when sheeted in hard. If you need something there, well, then add it later. Many gaffers have strings they do not need.
                            Chances are the 8 inches you have there will be fine. We do not know fer sher how any of this stuff is going to work until we work it.

I've been gone from this thread most of the winter and spring being in Carriacou , having to go ashore to get good internet and working on a friends rig.But I'm back home now.

Last edited by wizbang 13; 07-17-2019, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• Phil Y
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2010

Do you need this Burton thing? It's only a 23 footer. On dad's boat we'd just haul the gaff up. Sweat the halyard to raise the boom jaws just off the mast collar. Then raise the peak. Even when she had heavy canvas sails treated with ochre and beeswax it just wasn't that heavy.

Comment

• wizbang 13
                                • Oct 2009

Maybe not. But putting a 3/1 or 4/1 purchase on the hlyds is overkill and a lotta line.
                                Wee barkie is heavy boat for her size, I understand the conditions there can be serious...and nobodys gettin any younger.
                                Or a wee baby winch of course.

Comment

Working...