X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wtarzia
    • Feb 2007

Re: Designs for old codgers

Originally posted by upchurchmr
    It appears to me that Meade Gougeon (RIP) found that a single position worked for him.
    Was this what allowed him to keep sailing at an impressive level right up to the end?...
    --- Gougeon used that chair for sleeping in (napping). He trained to take a couple of naps at anchor or sea-anchor, for about 40 minutes, in the reclined mode. The sheepskin is an effective covering to reduce hot spots (rub spots), though I wonder how much water it absorbed. There is an bit article in Sailing World where his sleep and nap regimen is explained -- at home he would sleep 5 hours per night, and nap twice a day in a recliner (at home and office); the canoe chair mimicked the recliner, so living at home was training for an Everglades Challenge. He felt it was crazy to go too long without some sleep, despite what the legendary sleepless racers in that event sometimes did.

He had once mentioned he was going to do a write-up about this canoe, but we will now wait forever. -- Wade

Comment

• tink
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by wtarzia
      --- Gougeon used that chair for sleeping in (napping). He trained to take a couple of naps at anchor or sea-anchor, for about 40 minutes, in the reclined mode. The sheepskin is an effective covering to reduce hot spots (rub spots), though I wonder how much water it absorbed. There is an bit article in Sailing World where his sleep and nap regimen is explained -- at home he would sleep 5 hours per night, and nap twice a day in a recliner (at home and office); the canoe chair mimicked the recliner, so living at home was training for an Everglades Challenge. He felt it was crazy to go too long without some sleep, despite what the legendary sleepless racers in that event sometimes did.

He had once mentioned he was going to do a write-up about this canoe, but we will now wait forever. -- Wade

Interesting stuff Wade, the sheepskin will contain natural lanolin so should be resistant to absorbing water. We used one to line my daughters buggy, the are supposed to regulate the baby's temperature.

Dinghy Cruising in a Gull. Small boat design and the odd other topic

Proa outrigger sail sailing schooner lug leeboard concept

What I get up to
      https://youtu.be/X9NZEyvpb_Y Streaker dinghy
      https://youtu.be/oni-3rJzxqQ Sail Canoe
      https://youtu.be/eW078PPgJak Proa
      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• upchurchmr
        • May 2009

I sure wish he had written up his history and design of the boat.
        This is the boat I would like to build next. But, no plans, not much description.
        There is a boat club in Michigan who is making fiberglass replicas for a training project. Tried to get in contact but they didn't answer.

Wade, are you suggesting he didn't sail while setting in the chair?

Comment

• wtarzia
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by upchurchmr
          ... Wade, are you suggesting he didn't sail while setting in the chair?
          --- Not at all -- he sailed as the photo above shows him. I have seen many photos of him sailing, and they all show him at that same angle. But apparently the chair reclined to perfectly mimic his preferred napping angle on his at-home reclining chairs. In the 2017 Everglades Challenge, I believe he once took the chair out on the beach to sleep on it there, as well. Sadly he lost that chair in rough weather, perhaps a knock-down (?), and I am surprised that it was not solidly secured to the hull.... questions, questions.... oh Mr. Gougeon, why didn't you do that write-up?! -- Wade

PS -- I read somewhere that a guy named Skip Izon built this boat as well as Woodwind, but I couldn't track down much more useful detail than that.
          Last edited by wtarzia; 09-13-2017, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• tink
            • Dec 2011

A trimaran design can obviously be sailed two ways and so adapt as the sailor becomes less mobile.
            > Sit on side benches with a bigger rig
            > Have a removable chair for sitting in and a smaller rig

This little Tri has come on my radar

Dinghy Cruising in a Gull. Small boat design and the odd other topic

Proa outrigger sail sailing schooner lug leeboard concept

What I get up to
            https://youtu.be/X9NZEyvpb_Y Streaker dinghy
            https://youtu.be/oni-3rJzxqQ Sail Canoe
            https://youtu.be/eW078PPgJak Proa
            Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• canoe_sailor
              • Mar 2013

The seat pictured above on #440 is one of my early prototypes.

My prototype was an adaption of the seat type that Hugh Horton developed for his sailing canoe and the sailing canoes of the Gougeons (the "Serendipity" sailing canoe series). These seats really blew me away.
              An essay from Hugh Horton on seats with lots of pictures is here: https://www.bootsbaugarage.ch/hugh/h_essay9_en.htm

Later developments were:
              - Meade's high seat back, used for short naps
              - my DIY "HUGH HORTON Venice" seat model. Plans are free: https://www.bootsbaugarage.ch/produkte.htm#plans
              - my seat with back wings that pivot individually, as pictured in #423

Yes, an old codger like me needs a comfortable seat. Comfort is one of the secrets why we elder gentlemen still are able to make long trips.

Hope that helps. Axel

Comment

• Alan H
                • Jul 2009

Bob Perry has a design on his "drawings" page called the Old Fart 20. It's basically a relatively heavy keelboat, 20 feet long with a carbon gaff rig and a somewhat-longish carbon bowsprit. It's not inexpensive by any means, but it sure looks good.

and of course it's not wood. But knowing Bob, I bet......

There's a discussion about this boat going on, on Sailing Anarchy, cruising forum right now.

Comment

• gilberj
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Alan H
                  Bob Perry has a design on his "drawings" page called the Old Fart 20. It's basically a relatively heavy keelboat, 20 feet long with a carbon gaff rig and a somewhat-longish carbon bowsprit. It's not inexpensive by any means, but it sure looks good.

and of course it's not wood. But knowing Bob, I bet......

There's a discussion about this boat going on, on Sailing Anarchy, cruising forum right now.
                  Cool boat.

Comment

• FF
                    • Oct 2005

I really would like to see here pictures or films from old codgers building interesting and fast boats. And sharing their adventures with less old codgers. Frank van Zoest

Comment

• tink
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by FF
                      I really would like to see here pictures or films from old codgers building interesting and fast boats. And sharing their adventures with less old codgers. Frank van Zoest
                      possibly not what you had in mind but I will keep sailing my Streaker as long as I can. In parallel keep developing my sailing canoe which is only 12 foot with the hull 15kg. This is an ongoing development and should be ‘my’ perfect old codgers boat when the Streaker becomes too much.

Comment

• FF
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by tink
                        possibly not what you had in mind but I will keep sailing my Streaker as long as I can. In parallel keep developing my sailing canoe which is only 12 foot with the hull 15kg. This is an ongoing development and should be ‘my’ perfect old codgers boat when the Streaker becomes too much.

https://youtu.be/oni-3rJzxqQ
                        Well, I am usually thinking about oar and sail boats and I hope to form a rowing team, with guys of my age,( 'The Golden Boys') in a St. Ayels Skiff with a downwind lug rig. However, when kayaking in France on a river, which was first a bit painfull because of a 'frozen shoulder', I found the pain disappeared after some time and stayed away for almost a week, so I think your canoe is very good, and I like also the fully battened lugsail. An old codger deserves to sail, paddle, row in style. Frank van Zoest

Comment

• tink
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by FF
                          Well, I am usually thinking about oar and sail boats and I hope to form a rowing team, with guys of my age,( 'The Golden Boys') in a St. Ayels Skiff with a downwind lug rig. However, when kayaking in France on a river, which was first a bit painfull because of a 'frozen shoulder', I found the pain disappeared after some time and stayed away for almost a week, so I think your canoe is very good, and I like also the fully battened lugsail. An old codger deserves to sail, paddle, row in style. Frank van Zoest
                          This thread is as much about people’s locations and requirements as it is boats. I would love to step off a dock and onto nice classic day sailer but not practical where I live.
                          I broke my collar bone a while back and got frozen shoulder afterwards. I get pain now and then and still don’t have full mobility but feel canoeing helps and will keep me on the water longer into old age.

Comment

• P.I. Stazzer-Newt
                            obnoxiously persistent.
                            • Jan 2005

I thought we already had a couple of standard designs for old codgers

Iffy knees, slightly (yeah) overweight, still passionately attached to pre-punk music - and with ridiculously overblown opinion of own abilities.
                            I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

• upchurchmr
                              • May 2009

I resent your implication.

My knees are just fine.

The rest is too close for me to be comfortable, except the last - which is spot on.

Comment

• John Meachen
                                • Jan 2004

My knees do make clicking noises-otherwise guilty as charged.Proud of it too.

Comment

Working...