X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goat
    • Jan 2011

16ft Dory build.

Hello team.

I started a thread while back for ideas on a wooden dory.

I have gone with designing my own. I have taken the best of the San Juan http://www.nexusmarine.com/san_juan_...struction.html and some of the Bateau OD16 ideas http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=OD16

My requirements were

1. Easily driven, fuel is going thru the roof. One of the reasons for giving up the 17ft ali and 70hp outift.
    2. Use in shallow waters. We have harbours here in NZ with huge flats.
    3. Console steer.
    4. Glass over ply construction

The engine I have always planned to use in a Honda 4 stroke 20hp. 25-30 are 1/3 more the cost.

Timber used for the temp frames is rough sawn 6"x1" which we can use around the farm afterwards.

Few notes on that;
    The San Juan reckons 15-20hp for thier boat. But then thier boat has a 5'7" beam. The Bateau OD16 reckon 20-40hp but then thier boat has a 7ft beam.

Im going with a 6'3" beam but I have made mine similar to the Bateau with a chine step (basically a 3 chine hull), which will give me a narrow 1.2m wide peice of timber in the water at planing speed.

One of the things with a flat bottom dory is a hard wet ride in any sort of sea. So I have flared the front end out and made the entry finer whilst still retaining a flat aft section.

Make sense?

Timber used will be;
    Marine ply BS1088 - 9mm hull and 6mm sides. Will have a self draining floor also 6mm, stifened.
    Kauri for kelson and stringers.
    Milk tree. Also for stringers and framing. More on this latebr />

Well, anyway. On to some pics.

Below is the starting stages.

We (my dad and I) made a full size lofting table/bench, in the right of the pic.

Getting some frames up

Adding a fair baton to check lines etc...

Last edited by goat; 09-19-2011, 01:25 AM.
    My 16 ft semi dory build
  • goat
    • Jan 2011

Re: 16ft Dory build.

Got a bit more done today

Bit more done

Adding the stem...

Marrying up the kelson to front end

My 16 ft semi dory build

Comment

• goat
      • Jan 2011

Okay.

I mentioned Milk tree before.

There is a blurb on it here http://www.lumberbank.co.nz/sawn-timber-milk-tree/

I have never used it before. My dad has never heard of it (and he knows a thing or 2 about boat building)

It is very straight grained. Fairs/bends well and even. Its lightweight. Which made me think. Why dont I use it for stringers?

So now I have saved the Kauri and gone with the milk tree for all stringers and chine rails.

It is easy to plane also. Kauri is nice, well probably and understatment. Kauri is the king of boat building timber, no doubt. Where kauri planes like soap, milk tree is like ivory, or chalk. Its is very easy to shape and work with.

Few pics of both then;

Rough sawn kauri just planed. No sanding neccessary, this timber is like gold. Underneath is a 210x20mm milk tree.

The milk tree. I tried the plain out on an off cut (below). About half a dozen cuts and I had a nice edge on both end and long grain. Its nice wood to work with for sure. Very pleased. Its also 1/4 price of the kauri!!!.

My 16 ft semi dory build

Comment

• floatingkiwi
        country member
        • Nov 2008

Did you consider rot resistance? Have you used it before ? It looks nice. I bet it carves real good too, by the photo and your description.
        I have a 16 foot dory that I beefed up the ends of and built a short deck across the centre to stop the flat hull from bending whilst ploughing across rough water. A 20 hp 4 stroke powers it and I do 20 mph with a bunch of weight in it. More when empty. When conditions make the flat bottom unsuitable I carve through the water in an S shape using the chine as a way to cleave the water like a vee hull might.Otherwisw it is priceless in the narrow shallow waterways I often frequent , that interconnect the myriad of saltwater river systems that are all over the place just down the road.
        When the swell is slight and the wind offshore I take her out in the open sea for salmon etc.
        I once dropped a 4 cylinder engine with gearbox, a Palmer marine petrol engine, about 8 feet onto her gunwale.The same gunwale I was standing on trying to free the engine from ropes I had tied it to a three pole structure with, earlier, when the tide was higher. It was gettin late and I was tired and cut the wrong rope with only two ropes left and down it came. It didn't land on my foot but right next to it, crushed the gunwales surface and I found myself instantly beneath the dark murky water with ropes around me and an engine next to me. I was not hurt, I thought as I lay there for a bit. This was good. Then I discovered that I was able to touch the mud and when I placed my feet on it realized I could stand with my upper body out of the water. Ok, where's the boat, I thought. There she was, next to me, everything in it was gone. Tools , a battery, everything was in the mud, but the Chameleon, WAS UPRIGHT with no water inside her.I was impressed with that.
        I reckon she is the perfect boat for sheltered waters, especially the shallow narrow ones, and trailering with the flat bottom is easy with flat plywood as a surface to winch her onto. My transom was really narrow and I built a flat fin that made the hull wider at the stern, making her pop straight up level with any forward movement at all, otherwise she was always ass down at any speed.
        Are you gonna add rocker to the flat section. I am sure this is what helps my boat to carve through turns as nice as it does.
        Good luck with things mate. I'll be watching your work with interest.
        Last edited by floatingkiwi; 09-19-2011, 10:56 PM.
        ..don't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes..

Comment

• goat
          • Jan 2011

I am coating all of the inside with Everdure. This wood appears to soak up resins and glues well so it will be well preserved.

There is no rocker in the hull. Dory's will 'carve' or probably more appropriately 'slide' around due to that large flat area.

I am looking forward to getting into some shallow spots, I am also putting rollicks forward of the console and a seat so I can row her around in the shallows for stealth. I do a fair amount of saltwater fly fishing.

The build will take a bit of time, I am not doing it full time, just an after work project.

How long have you been state side floatingkiwi? I myself, grew up on the Manukau Harbour, which is where this boat will see a lot of sea. I have fond memories of battling south west gale force winds against opposing outgoing tide seas and burrying half of the 22dt Hartley yacht my dad built in green waves in the channel off the end of the Auckland airport. I am sure my mother would have kittens if she knew that it was I did for fun! I dare say this dory will get tested well enough, I will make sure of it.
          Last edited by goat; 09-20-2011, 08:28 PM.
          My 16 ft semi dory build

Comment

• goat
            • Jan 2011

Bit more done today.

Glues arrived.

Glued up the transom which is a permanent frame (so it had to be square!).

Checked out the temp frames so chine rails could sit in thier correct line.

Put in chine rail 1 and checked fairness. All looking good.

Cut out stem and glued permenant shape.

You can see the hull shape better now, flat aft, finer entry than your typical dory.

The paper around the frames is so when we glue the ply onto chine rails we dont get the temp frames glued in as well! Same goes for the plastic rap in some pics.

Chines will be held in place by small blocks glued from the back (or inside of the hull) which will be removed after ply is glued on.

I did a quick calc on $$$. I have all the timber I need and glues. Im sitting at about $1500US so far. Resins and cloth will be next. I want to come in under $10KNZ (or 8.2K US) with engine. Time will tell.
            Last edited by goat; 09-20-2011, 11:47 PM.
            My 16 ft semi dory build

Comment

• floatingkiwi
              country member
              • Nov 2008

Been here 3 times since 92. Married an American girl 5 years ago.
              My last two days in NZ were spent hauling kingies out of the Manakau at Nine Pin Rock, with my best mate.The sea took his life 4 years ago.
              I epoxied the outside of my boat and rot found its way into the chines both sides, unseen , through small nail holes I think, and destroyed the timber beneath the paint inside for about half the boats length.I wuz cleaning her out after fishing one day and noticed the telltale peeling paintwork and three hours later, you could have played tennis through both sides of it after I cut out a subxtantial amount of the boats frames and plywood sides.
              But shes good now. No rot will travel through her again like that as there is to much epoxy to block it off .
              I think I would leave her bare inside if I did it again. So the wood can dry out. I thought about how it would be with no epoxy covering it anywhere but I like the hard smooth bulletproof shell. Rotting wood is easy to replace in this kind of design I reckon.I am sure you have everything under control, I just thought you might find this helpful.
              You're tearing through it mate. She'll be on the water before you know it. 10 grand should be way more than you need there Goat.Or am I used to different prices? Are you gonna buy an outboard new?

Comment

• goat
                • Jan 2011

Yeah, prices might be a bit better over there, I get most of my hobby stuff off eBay for that reason, scopes, fishing gear etc etc. The motor alone here will be just over $6K!

Not sure what boys in the US use for timber? I know this countries boat building industry owes a huge debt to the mighty Kauri. Kiwi boat builders are pretty sought after.
                Last edited by goat; 09-21-2011, 06:37 PM.
                My 16 ft semi dory build

Comment

• goat
                  • Jan 2011

I guess traditionally flat bottomed, 2 sides (when you actually start to look around at plans etc). There are variations of these, of which mine is one.

The original dory was designed to stack inside each other and were taken to sea by bigger ships then unstacked and men would go fishing and sometimes drown.

Dory 101.
                  My 16 ft semi dory build

Comment

• JTLogan
                    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by goat
                    I guess traditionally flat bottomed, 2 sides (when you actually start to look around at plans etc). There are variations of these, of which mine is one.

The original dory was designed to stack inside each other and were taken to sea by bigger ships then unstacked and men would go fishing and sometimes drown.

Dory 101.
                    Goat,
                    The traditional dory form certainly comes in a variety of shapes. The flat-sided stackable bank dory is one type, among a long list of others. The one thing all traditional dory types have in common is a flat bottom, which your boat does not have. There are a number of other salient characteristics that define the dory shape, some pertain to shape, and others to construction. No one with a fair understanding of traditional craft would consider your present design a dory.

Comment

• AnalogKid
                      • Aug 2008

Seems to go flat at mold #3, and the OP mentions flared entry with flat aft run.

The photos appears to show a wide transom and it's designed to motor, so I'd have referred to it as a semi-dory.
                      Last edited by AnalogKid; 09-21-2011, 06:57 PM. Reason: typo
                      'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Comment

• goat
                        • Jan 2011

Dont split hairs guys, I am using a small digi camera, there is distortion in the pics for sure.

I would go with semi dory then if I had to call it something. The Estuary where I grew up was full of these things, we knew them as 'flaties' or 'dory's'.

My grandfather and my dad built boats (in fact my grand-dad built many boats that went to the islands and help defend this country with help from uncle Sams boys, cheers). My dad built a few cup winners too, he could probably build this in his sleep. I guess they both have a fair understanding of traditional boat building you could say. Thanks for the input/thoughts, its all good stuff.

Its is actually flat from the transom frame thru to frame 6. 5 starts to dive off a bit etc etc. Frame 2 is realy temp, and 1 isnt in the pic, I made a slight change in this area for a bulk head in the front etc.
                        My 16 ft semi dory build

Comment

• goat
                          • Jan 2011

Got the transom frame in place.

Many measurements to make sure that part is square. All good.

Ticking along.
                          My 16 ft semi dory build

Comment

• gstanfield
                            • Jun 2010

Looking god, nice design you have going there
                            George

Comment

• floatingkiwi
                              country member
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by JTLogan
                              Goat,
                              The traditional dory form certainly comes in a variety of shapes. The flat-sided stackable bank dory is one type, among a long list of others. The one thing all traditional dory types have in common is a flat bottom, which your boat does not have. There are a number of other salient characteristics that define the dory shape, some pertain to shape, and others to construction. No one with a fair understanding of traditional craft would consider your present design a dory.
                              Will you please list these salient characteristics that define the dory , be it in shape or the building of it?

Comment

Working...