• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WX
    Uki NSW Australia
    • Feb 2002

Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Originally posted by auscruisertom
    They where part of Paul’s arrival crew on the Roziante I don’t know any of the names.
    The yacht was Celeste and it was Deb and Justin.
    Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• auscruisertom
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by WX
      The yacht was Celeste and it was Deb and Justin.
      Right that’s them .Fast little boat throughout the course I only managed to beat them to the first mark once.and we soon gave up that advantage with a spinnaker launch that wasn’t quite as schmick as when I was racing my old Blazer 23 at the SYC Holywell.
      Last edited by auscruisertom; 08-13-2019, 04:45 AM.

Comment

• WX
        Uki NSW Australia
        • Feb 2002

Right that’s them .Fast little boat throughout the course I only managed to beat them to the first mark once.and we soon gave up that advantage with a spinnaker launch that wasn’t quite as schmick as when I was racing my old Blazer 23 at the SYC Holywell.
        They have a house on the community next door to us.

Comment

• auscruisertom
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by WX
          They have a house on the community next door to us.
          Small wonder I am confused they live on Lamb , but have a house in the community next to you .
          Next thing you will be telling me is that they’re vegans.

Comment

• Phil Y
            Banned
            • Apr 2010

Flexetarians. It's the new thing for people who want to feel a little bit good about their opulent consumer lifestyle. They probably love nothing more than a nice organic fair trade chai.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Comment

• WX
              Uki NSW Australia
              • Feb 2002

Small wonder I am confused they live on Lamb , but have a house in the community next to you .
              Next thing you will be telling me is that they’re vegans.
              Not that I know of but their house on Lamb is quite nice as well.

Comment

• WX
                Uki NSW Australia
                • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Phil Y
                Flexetarians. It's the new thing for people who want to feel a little bit good about their opulent consumer lifestyle. They probably love nothing more than a nice organic fair trade chai.

I got called ableist on Facebook because I corrected someone for using your instead of you’re.

Comment

• WX
                  Uki NSW Australia
                  • Feb 2002

No pain last night, going to the hospital was a good idea.

Comment

• Small boats rock
                    Senior Remember
                    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by WX
                    I got called ableist on Facebook because I corrected someone for using your instead of you’re.
                    Maybe they were thinking your looking for trouble, but then again that's you're choice.
                    Originally posted by wizbang 13
                    I set them in with a yankee screwdriver that I inherited from my godfather Jesus Muhammod Herreschoff in 1848.It has the original red oak handle.Alas, the rest of it rusted away and was replaced with an impact driver.

Comment

• gypsie
                      NSW Australia
                      • Jun 2010

In the interest of online peace and harmony;

It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Comment

• RFNK
                        Port Stephens, Australia
                        • Feb 2007

I made some brackets for the exhaust hose, which has an external diameter of about 72mm. I got a metal tube of about that diameter and laid it on a board. I then added a couple of strips of 45 degree timber and laid them along the tube to close the gap between the sides of the tube and the board. I then covered the whole thing in packing tape. Then I glassed over the whole thing with 8 layers of double-bias glass and exoxy and put peel ply over that. I clamped the flats (the bases of the brackets) down with strips of timber wrapped in packing tape.

The cured glass breaks away from the packing tape fairly easily. You then end up with a long bracket shaped thing which can be cut into separate brackets. I made 5.

I did the same thing to make some brackets for a smaller hose for a 38mm bilge pump.

The emergency bilge pump is located in the lazarette now but is operated from the back of the cockpit. The hose runs from the lazarette, through a bulkhead into the engine bay, under the engine, through another bulkhead/floor and into the bilge well under the cabin. The problem with that is that there are already several holes through that floor and i'm not keen to drill another big one for 38mm hose. So, as an alternative, I'm going to use a Y-connector (Trudesign 25-25-38) to split the hose into two smaller hoses before it goes through the floor and run them both into the bilge well. I'll be able to utilise existing holes to do that. I guess it also has the advantage that if one hose gets blocked, the pump should still work, and it won't let anything through that's big enough to block the pump.

I'm also in the middle of installing the second fuel tank in the lazarette. Well, it was going to be the second tank but I've decided that it'll become the only tank. The old tank is under the cabin sole and I've decided to remove it and use the space for other things, like a fridge, perhaps. I've never really liked fuel in the cabin. The new tank is 88 litres and I'll have a deck filler. With a few extra cans for trips, I think 88 litres will be plenty. The old tank is about 60. I haven't removed it yet. I want to complete the new installation before I remove it.

I'll take some photos ......

Rick
                        Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• Phil Y
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Small boats rock
                          Maybe they were thinking your looking for trouble, but then again that's you're choice.
                          We all need to just get passed this grammatical correctness. Who cares how someone past their sentence. People should just stop being so parsimonious.

Comment

• Phil Y
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2010

The bracket thing sounds very elegant. Looking forward to pictures. Much better than the usual stainless steel strap. 88 litres. I think I have about 1200. I last filled up 3 1/2 years ago.

Comment

• RFNK
                              Port Stephens, Australia
                              • Feb 2007

We had 100 litres to cross the Tasman. I can carry about 100 litres in cans if I have to. Keeping a lot of diesel for a long time on a boat really isn't great. The fuel goes off - picks up moisture and fungus - sy stuff. Tanks should really be kept quite full so, for me, it's better to have a fairly small tank. Not that 88 litres is all that small for a yacht .....

I'm really happy with the fibreglass brackets I've been making. I started making angle brackets to install stuff in the house. They're easy to make by just wrapping a bit of 4x2 in packing tape and glassing that. Wrapping it in peel ply then gives you a really neat job. Then just rip the whole thing through with a saw and you have four lengths of fibreglass angle. If they need to be stiff and strong, just use more glass.

Our friend David is building a 25' trailerable power boat from foam and glass. He's going to put the whole interior together - floors, bulkheads, lockers, cupboards etc. with fibreglass angle made this way. The local boatbuilders who make Caraboats, catamarans etc., they also put pretty much everything together in this way. No fasteners - just fibreglass angle and glue.

I only really needed the round brackets for hose in the lazarette and engine bay so I didn't worry much about getting a neat job - as they're not very popular places with visitors. But the brackets are neat enough and certainly strong. It took about an hour to make the 5 exhaust hose brackets and, I guess, about $10 or less in materials.

I'll take some photos. I thought about taking some when I was doing it but I was rushing a bit so didn't. Next time! So, the photos will be the brackets already installed.

Rick
                              Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• WX
                                Uki NSW Australia
                                • Feb 2002

Talking of brackets.
                                67909612_206292637023952_2463942542085849088_n.jpg

Comment

Working...