Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jake Thornberry
    • May 2001

1955 17' Maghogany in Board

I purchased this boat that has a fiberglass mesh installed on the bottom below the water line. On the port side, right at the water line there is a small crack above the mesh approximately three inches long. How would you recommend fixing this? I have previously installed two layers of epoxy coating above the water line thinking this would help strengthen the hull, but the crack reappeared after having it in the water. The crack is just ahead of the drivers seat and is hard to access from underneath. Thanking you in advance for your advice on this matter! Best Wishes Bob Thornberry
  • Peerie Maa
    Old Grey Inquisitive One
    • Oct 2008

Re: 1955 17' Maghogany in Board

Welcome to the forum.
    You have not provided enough info. Are you saying that the wood plank is cracked? Along the grain or across it? Is it solid wood, cold moulded or plywood?
    Pictures would help. Go to the FAQ page for how to post photos.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• nedL
      Senior Member #1976
      • Jul 2000

Agreed,.. we need more information. What kind of boat (who built her), pictures and how is the boat used? (Trailered, kept in the water?)

Comment

• Jake Thornberry
        • May 2001

Hello Nick, Thank you for your expedited reply! I took several pictures, but have been unable to figure out how to post them yet, I will keep trying. I reexamined the crack this morning and it has gotten longer over the winter. The boat is mahogany planked, built by an individual in California. It sits on a steel trailer in the heat of Texas in a garage. The crack follows the seam of the plank. It starts sixteen inches from the stem of the bow and is ten inches in length. The motor is not in the boat at the present time, The location of the crack is almost directly over the last contact with the steel trailer frame.

Comment

• wizbang 13
          • Oct 2009

Posting photos here is a bit of a trick. If you can get them onto facebook,for example,or provide any link, we can help.

Comment

• Rich Jones
            What boat to build next?
            • Apr 2009

Put your photo on you computer, then follow the Posting Photos in the FAQ section of the toolbar. Believe me, it's now a lot easier then it used to be!
            I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
            Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• DeniseO30
              Thinks too much..
              • Jan 2009

Tapatalk is the most user friendly download I've used for photos
              Denise, Bristol PA, retired from HVAC business, & boat restoration and building

Comment

• Jake Thornberry
                • May 2001

2017-11-15 08.42.55.jpg

Comment

• Rich Jones
                  What boat to build next?
                  • Apr 2009

If we knew the design, it might help. Chris Craft, Hacker, that sort of info. Is it a varnished hull or painted? Tell us everything you know of the boat to help us along until you can get pictures posted.
                  You mentioned adding "two layers of epoxy" to the area. Was that just epoxy or did you also use fiberglass? Epoxy alone will make the wood watertight, but not strengthen it.
                  I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
                  Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• Jake Thornberry
                    • May 2001

Hello Rick! I tried posting the JPG picture in the above, but I guess it didn't materialize. Yes, sorry for the lack of information. It's a 17' foot, somewhat rounded reverse stern, with side planks that start out being laid horizontal, but curving starting at the drivers seat toward the stern. The hull received a two layer epoxy coat from the water line up, and on top w/o any fiberglass mesh, then nine coats of varnish. The closest design type that i could compare it to would be a Riva, but even that doesn't seem close. I had read that epoxy helped strengthen the hull, but obviously it didn't . I will try the pictures again as they are worth a "thousand words". Thank's for your help!

Comment

• wizbang 13
                      • Oct 2009

The link you give us has to show up in blue. The above is maybe missing a single piece.
                      We don't know if the boat was glued together originally, or was board and batten, or carvel. We do not know if the bottom is different from the sides.We don't know if it is a split from trauma or a check from drying.
                      We dont know if the epoxy hurt or helped .Or if using more will hurt or help.

Comment

• Jake Thornberry
                        • May 2001

Hello everyone! Forgive me for being such an ignoramus, but I have been unable to locate the icon for posting pictures... ( from an Apple computer ) where is that blasted thing? I will include a picture of the inside of the hull when I can, but it is carvel planked on the sides screwed to wooden internal supports, with what appears to be marine plywood on the bottom screwed to internal frame / supports running from stern to bow with longitudinal stringers. When i get the pictures up you will see the crack runs seemingly over top of the division between two planks. The crack was there before I epoxied the sides and top, but it has gotten longer.

Comment

• DeniseO30
                          Thinks too much..
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Jake Thornberry
                          Hello everyone! Forgive me for being such an ignoramus, but I have been unable to locate the icon for posting pictures... ( from an Apple computer ) where is that blasted thing? I will include a picture of the inside of the hull when I can, but it is carvel planked on the sides screwed to wooden internal supports, with what appears to be marine plywood on the bottom screwed to internal frame / supports running from stern to bow with longitudinal stringers. When i get the pictures up you will see the crack runs seemingly over top of the division between two planks. The crack was there before I epoxied the sides and top, but it has gotten longer.
                          Jake and might help if you mentioned what you know how to do with your mouse and on your computer or device.

I highly recommend you download and use Tapatalk for photos and discussions

One piece of advice is don't try to upload from your computer

On a computer or a windows-based system you want to post from a URL. Many of us used to keep our photos on a site called Photobucket. Now many of his use anything but Photobucket! On the photo hosting site of your choice,. You will copy the URL (direct link).

This should help

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Comment

• wizbang 13
                            • Oct 2009

Oh geeze , I put pics up completely differently. There must be many ways.

Comment

• DeniseO30
                              Thinks too much..
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by wizbang 13
                              Oh geeze , I put pics up completely differently. There must be many ways.
                              Very many !

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...