X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WX
    Uki NSW Australia
    • Feb 2002

Re: Oz Politics.

So who is paying for the new accomodation and how are they supposed to survive financially?
    Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• skuthorp
      • Jan 2002

I read the other day that a group of new security contractors from Aus. there to protect the new facilities were denied entry to PNG.
      Don't know if it was just a paperwork error or something more.

Comment

• PeterSibley
        • Dec 2001

Australian immigration and asylum

Refugees on Manus Island offered chance to move to Nauru

Australian government accused of ‘political trick’ as hundreds of refugees refuse to leave Manus Island centre

Refugees in the process of applying to be resettled in the US have been asked to volunteer to move to the offshore detention island of Nauru.

Wednesday 11 October 2017 07.16 AEDTLast modified on Wednesday 11 October 201710.15 AEDT

Refugees held by Australia on Manus Island have been offered the chance to move to Australia’s other offshore detention island of Nauru.
        The detention centre on Manus has become increasingly tense, chaotic and unstable in recent weeks, as the Papua New Guinea and Australian governments scramble to close it down by the self-imposed deadline of 31 October.
        Hundreds of refugees are refusing to leave the centre – ruled illegal by PNG’s highest court more than a year ago – saying they are not safe in Manus’s main town of Lorengau, where the governments are trying to move them.

A poster posted in the Manus island centre offering Manus refugees the chance to move to Nauru.
        Two refugees have killed themselves on Manus in the past two months and there have been a significant number of violent incidents between Manusians and refugees in Lorengau.
        The Australian government has spent hundreds of millions of dollars building new housing in and around Lorengau and removed and diminished medical, food and other services in the detention centre, even banning cigarettes, in an attempt to get people to leave. But few refugees have been willing to move.

On Tuesday night, authorities in the Manus detention centre posted a notice inviting refugees who were in the process of applying to be resettled in the US to volunteer to move to Nauru. Refugees who want to move must apply by 23 October.
        “The government of Nauru will then decide which refugees can transfer,” it said. “Refugees transferring to Nauru will have access to the same services and resettlement arrangements as other refugees in Nauru.
        “Transfers will not affect eligibility or progress of US resettlement applications.”
        The Iranian refugee and journalist Behrouz Boochani said there was widespread mistrust of the government’s offer.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
        Grateful Dead

Comment

• skuthorp
          • Jan 2002

Rupert will be proud of you.
          But I do notice the Aus. having a go at the Govt over it's failed employment services programme.

But I'm sure you have 'superior' information on the subject that you cannot disclose.

Comment

• skuthorp
            • Jan 2002

Otherwise an interesting interview on RN this morning with the new Indian owner of the Whyalla smelter re renewable energies, solar, pumped hydro and wind, and an intention to expand and supply power to the grid.

And evidently there's a separate proposal to build a pipeline from the WA gas fields to link into the National pipeline system in SA.
            Last edited by skuthorp; 10-30-2017, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Hallam
              • Feb 2012

Reading the Age and Sydney Morning Herald today I noted the article about the recently released JFK files revealed the CIA considered assassinating Indonesian President Sukarno.
              One of the daughters of Indonesia's first president has called for the US to apologise after the release of a "top secret" document from 1975.

This got me thinking about the files Trump, at the last minute was advised not to release. I wonder if, among those not released, are files pertaining to the Whitlam Dismissal.
              Sit back with a glass of red for a little reminder....where there's smoke there's usually fire.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
              Bruce Cockburn

Comment

• WX
                Uki NSW Australia
                • Feb 2002

Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• skuthorp
                  • Jan 2002

And another one (may) bite the dust.
                  President of the Senate Steven Parry.
                  I reckon he thinks he's gone.
                  Eric reckons there's more……………...

And if you saw 7.30 on a ex military surgeon blowing the whistle on B.F.'s vetoing of his medical opinions and requests for treatment on the Naru inmates, you like me may find there is no one to vote for any longer except the Greens in federal politics.
                  I do hope that some time in the future these chickens will come home to roost in the form of criminal charges, and I don't just mean the politicians.
                  Last edited by skuthorp; 10-31-2017, 05:14 AM.

Comment

• skuthorp
                    • Jan 2002

His dad came here at 8 evidently. I wonder how many of those that wrote the constitution and were in the first parliaments were actually not entitled to be there?

Comment

• skuthorp
                      • Jan 2002

Watching a programme on Facebook. We are stuffed, we have stuffed ourselves and continue to do so. Now there are moves to tighten the regulations and controls but I reckon we can forget such minor matters as national sovereignty just as we have forgotten about privacy.

And I am aware that participation here through Google is likely almost as bad.
                      Last edited by skuthorp; 10-31-2017, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• skuthorp
                        • Jan 2002

Seems like everyone wants a referendum re Section 44. Not so keen on the Aboriginal representation request.
                        How about a question on the PM's war declaration powers as well?

I don't think it would get up myself, politicians and politics being held in such low regard. Largely as a consequence of their own actions of course.

Comment

• Hallam
                          • Feb 2012

Agree, the PM's war declaration powers are a worry
                          Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
                          Bruce Cockburn

Comment

• skuthorp
                            • Jan 2002

"All The Way With …………………………."*

*(Fill in curent US president's name here)

Comment

• PeterSibley
                              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by skuthorp
                              Seems like everyone wants a referendum re Section 44. Not so keen on the Aboriginal representation request.
                              How about a question on the PM's war declaration powers as well?

I don't think it would get up myself, politicians and politics being held in such low regard. Largely as a consequence of their own actions of course.
                              All the way with any current POTUS !!
                              Grateful Dead

Comment

• PeterSibley
                                • Dec 2001

Senate President Stephen Parry resigns after confirmation of UK citizenship

In another blow to the Turnbull Government, Liberal senator Stephen Parry confirms he is a British citizen and will now stand down as Senate President and resign from the Parliament.

Grateful Dead

Comment

Working...