Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gdallas
    • Jan 2005

Electric inboard

I’m toying with the idea of restoring a small weekender/ keelboat. Full keel, traditional construction, about 2 tons displacement light.
    Originally built without any engine, I’m intrigued by the possibility of installing a shaft drive inboard electric motor with a propellor in an aperture in the rudder. This would be a true auxiliary and I would not expect to do a lot of miles under power.

Does anyone know of websites or other media where I can learn about various suppliers, equipment, systems? There are lots of manufacturers selling pod drives as integrated systems but I think I need to DIY a system: motor, mounting, batteries and management system, thrust bearing etc. And I’m hoping that there is a place for people like me to look. Or has someone done something similar?

Any ideas? Thank you
  • Breakaway
    • Mar 2007

Re: Electric inboard

Both Elco and Torqeedo offer inboard electric motors. I am sure there are others.
    Good luck!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• Rich Jones
      What boat to build next?
      • Apr 2009

There is a FaceBook group called Electric Boats and Electric Ships. You can get a lot of questions answered there.
      I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
      Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• Nicholas Carey
        Flâneur • Seattle
        • Feb 2001

Electric inboard

The Electric Boat Association - lots of electrified vintage boats.

“The big joke on democracy is that it gives its mortal enemies the tools to its own destruction,” Goebbels said as the Nazis rose to power—one of those quotes that sound apocryphal but are not.​
        — Adam Gopnik

Comment

• rgthom
          • Apr 2010

Grin Technologies in Canada is an e-bike motor company but they have developed an electric inboard for sailboats. Maybe not easy to import to UK, but worth a look at how they did it. Several useful videos: https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-kits/marine.html

Comment

• leaotis
            JuniorJunior Member
            • Apr 2004

variety here: https://plugboats.com/
            =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

Comment

• peb
              Papist and Texan
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by gdallas
              I’m toying with the idea of restoring a small weekender/ keelboat. Full keel, traditional construction, about 2 tons displacement light.
              Originally built without any engine, I’m intrigued by the possibility of installing a shaft drive inboard electric motor with a propellor in an aperture in the rudder. This would be a true auxiliary and I would not expect to do a lot of miles under power.

Does anyone know of websites or other media where I can learn about various suppliers, equipment, systems? There are lots of manufacturers selling pod drives as integrated systems but I think I need to DIY a system: motor, mounting, batteries and management system, thrust bearing etc. And I’m hoping that there is a place for people like me to look. Or has someone done something similar?

Any ideas? Thank you
              For my new build I chose Electric Yacht, electricyacht.com. Motor and everything is installed. Will be splashed this summer, so I can't give you any performance data. Fairly simple install, but I assume all of them are. Its a 48V 5Kwatt direct drive motor. My boat will weigh around 5000 lbs and is 24'7" on deck. It is an inboard.

There are many suppliers, and its been a couple of years since I made the decision so can't recall all of the details as to the selection. I wanted it to fit under the cockpit sole without needing a bridge deck, so the direct drive was a plus. I was advised on various manufacturer varying size of motors, anywhere form 2kw to 5kw. I will mainly use it for entering and leaving the marina and the occasional no wind, need to get home scenario, but I wanted to have enough power in the rare instance when I did need it. My old boat was a little heavier and I had a 2 cyl yanmar and in 20 years I can recall 2 or 3 times when I needed the power. Once when caught with a sudden storm on a lee shore and a scared crew, it was easiest to just power up the engine and get to safer water. Another time in a multi-fleet race where we lost all wind and after the race was called I towed a train of 10 J-22s and J-24s back to the marina a couple of miles (did not have to buy any beer that afternoon). So with the electric motor, I thought 7 hp was better than 2 or 3. But I normally sail, I don't motor, so there is no way I was going to deal with a diesel again when I literally spent more time maintaining it than I spent using it.

Of course there are downsides to the direct drive, it may not give me quite as much ultimate power or be quite as efficient. From the looks of it, everything is well manufactured. I haven't bought the batteries yet, so it has only been tested using my 48V battery charger as a DC-supply. The thing that seems off to me is that the controller seems to draw about .3 amps of power just when switched on. That is based on the display of the charger, and the tech support guy told me it must be that the charger display was not accurate. But with one of those gun type thermometers I could detect heat being dissipated from the controller, so who knows. I did rewire so that I have two battery cutoff switches: one for the motor and one for the 48V-12V DC converter so I do not need to leave the controller with power while sailing.

Comment

• stromborg
                • Sep 2010

It sounds like an interesting project. I dug in pretty deep trying to figure out how to electrify a classic keelboat design I plan on building in the next couple of years. motors and controls are really well sorted out but batteries are (IMO) the weak link, especially on a classic wood boat. Getting to decent cruising range still requires a lot of heavy, bulky batteries. Where do they go? How are to keep them dry? Does the boat have room for solar panels big enough to bother with?

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
                Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
                H.A. Calahan

Comment

• rgthom
                  • Apr 2010

Out of pure curiosity I looked up the Electric Yacht and Grin equivalent power direct drive motors to see how they compare. A 5 kW QuietTorque lists for $5295 and weighs 40 lb: https://electricyacht.com/product/qu...lectric-motor/ while the Grin Marine 5 kW is showing at $675 and weighs 9 lb: https://ebikes.ca/catalog/product/vi...rine-motor-20/ The Grin is only in beta release to a few customers for now.

I have no connection other than using a Grin hub motor for my e-bike, but if you are willing to do more of the hook-up work and mounting the price difference is substantial.

Comment

• peb
                    Papist and Texan
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by rgthom
                    Out of pure curiosity I looked up the Electric Yacht and Grin equivalent power direct drive motors to see how they compare. A 5 kW QuietTorque lists for $5295 and weighs 40 lb: https://electricyacht.com/product/qu...lectric-motor/ while the Grin Marine 5 kW is showing at $675 and weighs 9 lb: https://ebikes.ca/catalog/product/vi...rine-motor-20/ The Grin is only in beta release to a few customers for now.

I have no connection other than using a Grin hub motor for my e-bike, but if you are willing to do more of the hook-up work and mounting the price difference is substantial.
                    I think I paid 4K for mine. It is a full kit, controller, throttle, motor, battery fuse, switch, control panel, solenoid, mounts. Of those, the controller and throttle would be the most significant cost. One can certainly build your own for substantially cheaper, but it would take a lot of work and design. The Grin unit you reference recommends a $1400 controller/inverter.

There is a video blog, Sailing Uma, where a couple cruise with a electric auxillary. They initially built their own and have since replaced it.

Comment

• Breakaway
                      • Mar 2007

Peb, I would think it normal for the system to be drawing something when switched on. Indicator lights, the display, capacitors may be being charged, etc.
                      There are those much more knowledgeable here on electrics, but any component in the circuit takes some power and creates some resistance.

Kevin
                      There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• peb
                        Papist and Texan
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Breakaway
                        Peb, I would think it normal for the system to be drawing something when switched on. Indicator lights, the display, capacitors may be being charged, etc.
                        There are those much more knowledgeable here on electrics, but any component in the circuit takes some power and creates some resistance.

Kevin
                        Yea, but .3 amps at 48v is a 14watts, that's quite a bit.

Comment

• dbp1
                          • Jul 2018

Originally posted by peb
                          I think I paid 4K for mine. It is a full kit, controller, throttle, motor, battery fuse, switch, control panel, solenoid, mounts. Of those, the controller and throttle would be the most significant cost. One can certainly build your own for substantially cheaper, but it would take a lot of work and design. The Grin unit you reference recommends a $1400 controller/inverter.

There is a video blog, Sailing Uma, where a couple cruise with a electric auxillary. They initially built their own and have since replaced it.
                          Didn't they get sponsored by the replacement company? (so not totally clear that if money was a factor that they wouldn't have continued to work on their DIY one). That kind of stuff somewhat drives me nuts about the youtube channels: they pitch it as "you too can do this! Look!" except that most of the stuff they get is free (the worst is Jamestown... I swear they must have a robot watching for new youtube channels are just automatically start drop-shipping products). Some are better than others about disclosing it, of course
                          Daniel

Campion Apple 16 & Duckworks Scout

Comment

• peb
                            Papist and Texan
                            • Feb 2004

They definitely got sponsored by the company. They were upfront about it and did not make out that it's was easily affordable. IIRC it was an Ocean Volt system, not a cheap option at all, but very well made.
                            I only watch (occasionally) their sailing videos and one other guy. I do admire how they do all the work themselves and really seem to do a good job. Their adventure into the artic was also quite impressive.

Comment

• peb
                              Papist and Texan
                              • Feb 2004

The other thing to keep in mind about buying a raw motor and doing your own system is the housing and thrust bearing needs to be well designed and built. That would likely be as difficult as any electrical components needed to be purchased and put together.

Comment

Working...